Accelerating Technology Change Causing Mini-Generation Gaps?

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The NY Times has an interesting article about now the rapid pace of technology change may be causing “mini-generation gaps,” with kids born within the past 5 years growing up with much-different tech than those who came before. I can see it just within my own family, though I believe the effect is exaggerated when comparing families where the parent(s) are tech-savvy vs those that are not. What do you think?

“People two, three or four years apart are having completely different experiences with technology,” said Lee Rainie, director of the Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life Project. “College students scratch their heads at what their high school siblings are doing, and they scratch their heads at their younger siblings. It has sped up generational differences.”

All my Dad's stuff ether Blinks or has the wrong date!
At least they'll know what time it is

That's a great cause for an article. Interesting concept, and I think there is truth to it. Although I don't think the demarcation is college student vs professional and college student vs high school, etc. I think it more has to do with focus. So those who are technophiles are extremely up to date, and competent with the latest forms of technology, while those of other interests get left behind very quickly, and end up being reliant on those technophiles as the world and its various sectors all become rapidly reliant on technological advances of the last 15-20 years. Its a rapidly shifting AND accelerating target, and as any car mechanic from the 70's can tell you, this rate of development makes for quite a few societal dead spots.

i can only imagine how hard it must be for a kid to search a book from front to back for information and not just hit ctrl-f. in a course a university a professor said, when talking about plagiarism, that people shouldn't copy/paste what they find in google. and he continued that a student once responded to that that if he couldn't find something on google then it wasn't worth to be included in his paper.

i grew up when 286 computers were hot and libraries didn't have computers to search. it was still the stone age of computing so i grew up with the idea that books are the main source of information. today, it's really hard for me too if searching for something can't be done with ctrl-f (like books, f*** the kindle). not that i can't do it, i'm just used to today's "faster faster, even faster" mindset. for a kid it must suck a lot more.

I can see this in my own family. I am 24, and rarely send text messages, preferring to call someone if I have a question. My younger cousins, in the 18-20 age range, all are constantly texting and seldom call each other.

I think it more has to do with focus. So those who are technophiles are extremely up to date, and competent with the latest forms of technology, while those of other interests get left behind very quickly.

I agree. It's not about growing up with the technology (although that certainly helps), it's just about wanting to keep up to date, and actually doing so. My younger (high school age) sister doesn't care about technology - she just wants it to work. Parents are just as tech savvy as her, but I prefer to keep on top of technology, so I know more.

I see it a lot with cell phones. I'm nearly 28 and I don't care to have the latest phone, but to the teenage crowd, if you still have an old phone, you must be poor or stupid.

It seems to me more that it's people that keep up versus those that don't. Tech hasn't changed a ton since I was in high school(graded HS in '04 then college in '08). Better, faster, stronger(hehe), maybe, but not a lot different to the end user.

It's no different than it was in the past:
When cars took over as the preferred mode of transportation over horse.
The radio was in place in homes.
People could dial directly to other poeple on their phones instead of having to talk to a switcher.
When you can skip to your favorite track on a cd/dvd instead of fast forwarding on tape.
Having to rewind a movie rental "Be Kind and rewind."
Email taking over snailmail of the primary form of written communication.
Using a typewriter over handwriting.
Using a TV remote.
Laundry machines vs hand washing.
etc...

texting is like a technology that we all should have had 4 decades ago, and now that we finally do were doing it nonstop to get it out of our system or something....

It's no different than it was in the past:
When cars took over as the preferred mode of transportation over horse.
The radio was in place in homes.
People could dial directly to other poeple on their phones instead of having to talk to a switcher.
When you can skip to your favorite track on a cd/dvd instead of fast forwarding on tape.
Having to rewind a movie rental "Be Kind and rewind."
Email taking over snailmail of the primary form of written communication.
Using a typewriter over handwriting.
Using a TV remote.
Laundry machines vs hand washing.
etc...

The issue is that the pace of change is much faster than it was in the past, thus causing these "Back in my day..." gaps between people just a few years separated.

The issue is that the pace of change is much faster than it was in the past, thus causing these "Back in my day..." gaps between people just a few years separated.

To me, the issue really is how kids are being brought up, It's not necessarily technology that's causing these mini gaps, but the way they were raised is. Sure give a 3 year old an iphone as their first device, and they'll expect everything to work like an iphone. If these kids were brought up the way their parents was back in the day then this would not be an issue.,

To me, the issue really is how kids are being brought up, It's not necessarily technology that's causing these mini gaps, but the way they were raised is. Sure give a 3 year old an iphone as their first device, and they'll expect everything to work like an iphone. If these kids were brought up the way their parents was back in the day then this would not be an issue.,

So are you saying that people that have the means should not get their kids advanced gadgets? What's the purpose of deliberately denying access to something like an iPod Touch or some other gadget to a child if the provider is in the position, whether financially or otherwise, to give those items to their kid?

The speed of change wrought by technology has indeed caused gaps in understanding between people. Language both reflects a society and affects it. Never, in our history has language changed as rapidly as it has within the last five years.

Changing thought patterns is inevitable however, the speed at which change has come has forced the latest generation to reinvent the wheel in terms of human relationships and communication. This type of reverse engineering, aside from being inefficient, can only result in increased friction within society due to ignoring or disdaining social convention.

So, I propose a non aggression pact. Us geezers will refrain from pointing and laughing and, the latest generation will strive to help us adapt to new tech without ignoring or blowing off our questions no matter how noob like. :)

So are you saying that people that have the means should not get their kids advanced gadgets? What's the purpose of deliberately denying access to something like an iPod Touch or some other gadget to a child if the provider is in the position, whether financially or otherwise, to give those items to their kid?

Nope. I'm saying that kids will act based on their upgrading. I'm all for providing the best to one's kids when it's possible. I'm just saying that if you expose a kid only to only one way to interacting with their environment, then that's what they will learn. Sure give a kid an iphone/itouch, but also give them access to a device that doesn't have that interface, like a laptop. Or read to your kid from a real book once in awhile, and not just from the kindle. It's almost like teaching math. There's always a better and faster way of doing things, but you get taught the long way first, to appreciate the quick and easy way.

What does this gap do? Does it really matter in day to day life? I dont see an issue. My parents where 15 when pong came out, they could be more tech savvy than me if they felt like it. They just didnt care about it.

All this tech revolves around watching/playing/listening to media anyhoo. (farts) nothing tangible.

What does this gap do? Does it really matter in day to day life? I dont see an issue. My parents where 15 when pong came out, they could be more tech savvy than me if they felt like it. They just didnt care about it.

Read the article.

Loved the section on multitasking, where the authors talks about younger generations increasing ability to multitask. Remember the old saying "Computer's multitask, People just task." Or something like that...

The article started on a good idea, but failed to deliver. What a poor ending.
And they will all think their parents are hopelessly out of touch.
Dr. Rosen said that the newest generations, unlike their older peers, will expect an instant response from everyone they communicate with, and won’t have the patience for anything less ...."They’ll want their teachers and professors to respond to them immediately, and they will expect instantaneous access to everyone, because after all, that is the experience they have growing up,” he said.
I don't see this as a concern. It isn't like youth are standing in front of the washing machine saying the time is unacceptable. However, if you ask a professor a question relating to their field of expertise, the capacity for an immediate response is now feasible. If they don't know the answer, why would I expect a teacher not to utilize readily available resources to address a question?

The alarm of his daughter trying to turn the laptop on like you would an Iphone is a bit dubious. He should have been impressed like most, not concerned this will inevitably lead her to failing at potty training due to the toilet not operating like an Iphone.

And multitasking, this isn't because of a technology gap. Just because someone is performing seven different tasks doesn't mean that all seven are done simultaneously. It could mean that, but doubtfully. I would also be wary of even labeling it multitasking. I would place it more closely to "minitasking." If you were to have the current generation prepare a meal where seven different dishes had to finish concurrently, I doubt they would be any better equipped to succeed as someone five years their senior.

Multitasking isn't limited to technology. This observation shows the author's short-sightedness. Choosing not to multi task in the same setting that youth do, does not imply an inability to do so.

I would have liked the author acknowledge and appreciate youth's ability to take advantage of the multitude of resources at their disposal. This is a positive. If you are unwilling, you are uncompetitive and the gap you made will soon become to wide to cross. Show me a study where facebook, IM, & twitter increase work productivity.

Youth will always have a propensity for what's popular. Advertising has forced technology into the spotlight, and peer pressure for the newest and greatest is the reason for kids with the most current model of cellphone.

Facebook is not technology, I don't care how you say it.

Being in awe that CSI Miami does not devour the entire attention of someone else is not reason for concern.

All this makes me wonder if people are getting dumber or are getting smarter with all this tech and future tech that does everything for you.

One thing is for sure, it has made people more dependent on Tech. A prime example is reporting and journalism. People want information as soon as it happens, that mistakes are made and there is no fact checking.

More reliant on tech things that traditionally made one 'smart' to the point that those things can't even be done any more does make people dumber. Spellcheck, grammar check, and calculators are easy examples especially when they're used not as backup checks but during the actual learning process - when people can't even do things at all without the tech it makes them dumber.

More reliant on tech things that traditionally made one 'smart' to the point that those things can't even be done any more does make people dumber. Spellcheck, grammar check, and calculators are easy examples especially when they're used not as backup checks but during the actual learning process - when people can't even do things at all without the tech it makes them dumber.

I agree. Many people are not able to do simple calculations or spell words without checkers and calculators. When I also hear about some college students spelling "u" instead of "you" in their papers, I get disgusted.

I agree. Many people are not able to do simple calculations or spell words without checkers and calculators. When I also hear about some college students spelling "u" instead of "you" in their papers, I get disgusted.

Disgusted? I would expect the grade on the paper accounts for these mistakes.

Are we responsible for people to be able to do everything without the assistance of technology? Do you feel that someone reaching for their cellphone to do a bit of addition is a indicator of the downfall of society?

I would argue that a dependence on technology isn't as disgusting as you say. And quality doesn't suffer from this dependence, quality suffers when standards are not upheld. The same process that was taught to us in school still applies today. The implementation has changed. The method of grading needs to reflect these changes.

Back