[ACC] BBall: Miami @ Virginia

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
Just shot the UVA-Miami game tonight. UVA followed up thier victory over then #24 UNC by beating Miami 71-51 at home. This improves us to 4-2 in the ACC (3rd behind Duke and NC State) and 10-6 overall. We play Duke next, at Duke. (unfortunatly, I don't travel w/ the team :( )

Anyway, had a pretty good time at the game, shot it all with my 300D and 50/1.8. My technique has improved, but I missed way too many shots because I was OOF. I have plenty of great peak action shots.... just horribly out of focus.

Anyway, here are some shots.

1)
Diane_1.jpg

2)
Mikalauskas_1.jpg

3) Our 2nd leading scorer, J.R. Reynolds took a hard fall (hit his head) after a layup, and was down for awhile. I was trying to show him recovering on the floor, and the team recovering in the background. Does this work for ya'll?
injury_1.jpg

4)
joseph_1.jpg

5)
sean_1.jpg

6) Sean Singletary scored 29 points, 20 of them after Reynolds went out. He had a fantastic all around game.
sean_4.jpg

7) This was a quick flash of inspiration in my head, and I quickly took this shot. In my opinion, it turned out better than I could have imagined. This is one of my favorite shots I've ever taken. What do ya'll think?

sean_bw_web.jpg

nice pics, that last one especially.....

UVA seems to be doing pretty good this year... something i cant say about UNC :(

Yeah, we've been doing pretty well in the ACC... we'll see how we play duke tonight (7pm, espn).

Your pics look great! I'm a noob when it comes to DSLR action shots. I've only just played around with friends' DSLR cameras.

Can you give me a quick rundown on how you set up your camera to take those beautiful shots? Things like shutter speed, etc. I take it you don't blind the players with a flash, so how do you set up the camera to take those pics? I also understand that the 50/1.8 is an excellent lense, and glass makes a big difference.

most of these were taken at f2.2 or f2.8, manuel settings, 1/400, ISO800. Custom white balaence, metered of a white shirt on the court pre-game.

The 50/1.8 is actually a horrible piece of glass for sports... you really need something that focuses faster... a USM lens like the 50/1.4 would be much better.

SidewinderX said:
most of these were taken at f2.2 or f2.8, manuel settings, 1/400, ISO800. Custom white balaence, metered of a white shirt on the court pre-game.

The 50/1.8 is actually a horrible piece of glass for sports... you really need something that focuses faster... a USM lens like the 50/1.4 would be much better.

Cool, thanks!

I read some reviews about the 50/1.4 and 50/1.8. The 1.4 is quite a bit more expensive! But it appears to be a great lense.

Thanks for the info!

Back