• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AC'97 Vs. HD Audio?'s

Format _C:

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 12, 2001
Messages
4,190
I am assembling a computer out of old and new parts (The case being one of the older parts that only has an AC'97 Front Panel Connector) I am using a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 as the motherboard and it supports only HD Audio
So my questions are.

1. Is there any significant differences between HDA and AC'97 (Other then the wiring?)
2. Can I rewire the front panel cable to an HDA connector or do I need to replace the jacks themselves?

I am only going to use the jacks for a Pair of headphones and a Mic (Both occasionally so the jacks would be empty most of the time

Thanks
 
Youi know I have always wondered but never knew either. Hopefully this thread gains a little momentum.
 
I believe the actual difference depends on the implementation. But HDA is newer and technically (theoretically) better, including allowing more channels.
 
Back
Top