• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AC97 optical vs av-710 optical? +software advise.

htpcnewb

n00b
Joined
Sep 20, 2005
Messages
9
after reading numerous posts regarding pc optical out to receivers for 5.1~7.1 surrounds...I'm completely confused. :confused:

Current budget HTPC setup:
Shuttle SK43G
Duron 1.2G (yeh i know....)
1gig ram.
AC97 with optical out.
It's connected to a HDTV via VGA.

Its main purpose is video playback: DVD/Divx/AC3/web downloads of various formats.
So needing to output 5.1 is rather important.
Currently hooked up to a Onkyo 7.1 receiver that supports both optical and 5.1 analog input. There are only 2 fronts and a subwoofer connected to the receiver though, more to come laaaater.

I understand using analog 5.1 input will work for sure. But I really prefer not to do that if the same can be accomplished using optical when properly setup.

When I hooked up the optical with AC97, set it to optical output and all. The speaker test only made it to the 2 speakers and not the subwoofer. Is that normal? I would think even for stereo mode something should come out of the sub too....

I used media player classic to playback The Matrix just to see if I'm getting anything from the subwoofer, still....nothing :( I set mpc to use S/PDIF outpout.

Is this simply the nature of AC97 when using optical out?

Can this problem be solved by using Chaintech AV-710(or the like) optical out? if so, what's the difference with AC97?

someone please point me to the right direction with simple solution to this, besides using analog 5.1 please ;) Oh I don't care about the gaming possibilities since this is strictly HT.

What proper players and codecs should I install to play back virtually all the videos formats. While achiving surround sound output via s/pdif?

Please guide me through this :(
and thank you for reading through yet another optical out question....
 
The SPDIF out will be exactly the same regardless of which soundcard you use. Save yourself the IRQ and the headaches with the Chaintech drivers, use your onboard SPDIF out.

If you're listening to stereo content (like MP3 soundtracks from DiVX files), you will only send the L and R channels to your receiver, it makes sense that there would be no dedicated signal sent to your subwoofer. This is where your receiver's bass-management comes into play; If your receiver is configured correctly, you your should have set your crossover frequency to approximately 80Hz (or higher depending on your speaker size) and any frequencies below that cutoff will be redirected to your subwoofer.


Make sure that you have "SPDIF Pass-through" enables in Media Player Classic and you should be able to send existing AC3 data through your optical connection without processing it.
 
Why then, is chaintech's card pimped so on these forums? If it is having IRQ issues, and such.
 
Because it's cheap as hell and has optical out. If you don't need it, don't get it. It's all the same is what he's saying.
 
SilverMK3: Thanks I'll check the receiver settings.

What about DVD playback? is mpc good enough or should I get something else for this application? (DVD=AC3 audio??)
 
well I set the reciver to 80hz, the powered subwoofer to 80hz+ (goes to 160) and finally noticed the boom :D Thanks!!

btw i didn't see "SPDIF Pass-through" in mpc, just "SPDIF" checkbox, which was what I did. is that the same thing?

is there anything special I need to do for winamp to utilize the surrounds via optical?
 
Back
Top