AC full cover 8800GT block in Stock!

That looks like a damn fine block. 139$ though... A bit expensive for my tastes.

It does look like a really nice block, I know the poly top is thicker, is it still thin enough to be single slot?

I like EK blocks but I like this AC block better. It looks like it covers more and is single slot which EK blocks just aren't quite thin enough to consider them single slot coolers. I would hardly call it a copy as AC came out with it first.

I like EK blocks but I like this AC block better. It looks like it covers more and is single slot which EK blocks just aren't quite thin enough to consider them single slot coolers. I would hardly call it a copy as AC came out with it first.

Yea AC showed their cooler slightly before EK did. Neither copied each other they both were working on it and came out with them at roughly the same time. If you look at the AC block their GPU channels actually somewhat mimic their logo, while the EK block uses the same wave pattern they always have.

AC and EK use the same interior design, hmm

I like the complete assy, where as EK you have screws holding the side piece in

Yeah and if you get an EK block like I did with no screws for that peice of aluminum, you are SOL.

+1 for a complete block everytime.

AC and EK use the same interior design, hmm

Sometime, the side piece being removable is a saving grace. I just found out that a EK 8800 GTS block (G80 version) can be modified for a 8800GTX just by buying the GTX mosfet plate and swapping them (remain to be confirmed by EK but a member already said it's true). Even EK sell the mosfet plate separately for 10.95 euros.

This is what I will plan to do by getting a GTX when everyone will get rid of them to get the next-gen version and reusing my GTS block :)

Sometime, the side piece being removable is a saving grace. I just found out that a EK 8800 GTS block (G80 version) can be modified for a 8800GTX just by buying the GTX mosfet plate and swapping them (remain to be confirmed by EK but a member already said it's true). Even EK sell the mosfet plate separately for 10.95 euros.

This is what I will plan to do by getting a GTX when everyone will get rid of them to get the next-gen version and reusing my GTS block :)

End of day, the alu was used to save money and increase the margin! :D

End of day, the alu was used to save money and increase the margin! :D
Eh, for the mosfets, I don't think copper is needed that much anyway. Hopefully some of the savings is passed on to the consumer, seeing as how EK is having difficulties like AC keeping resellers supplied enough to keep up with demand.

Everyone seems to take issue with the aluminium plate on the EK block, yet no one has any proof that a copper plate (or a single copper solution like AC's block) will make any real difference at all.

Mosfets are designed to run hot, it's that simple.

Everyone seems to take issue with the aluminium plate on the EK block, yet no one has any proof that a copper plate (or a single copper solution like AC's block) will make any real difference at all.

Mosfets are designed to run hot, it's that simple.

The only issue I had with the alu mosfet block was it didn't come with the necessary screws...... It is a FACT alu is cheap per lbs and cheaper to mill.

And aluminum conducts heat faster, right? I was under the impression that since the aluminum plate is for transferring heat, not dissipating it, so you would be more worried about conductivity than specific heat.

And aluminum conducts heat faster, right? I was under the impression that since the aluminum plate is for transferring heat, not dissipating it, so you would be more worried about conductivity than specific heat.

Correct, it's to transfer the heat from the mosfets to te copper core, which will be dissipated in water. It also made more sense from a business perspective since you can mill the same copper core for the whole G80 line then adapt the mosfet plate to suit the demand. It also make it lighter since it's already pretty heavy with a big amount of copper in the block.

About the screws, that's strange since mine came with all the necessary hardware. Anyway, if you have a problem with EK blocks, just don't get them and pay a arm and a leg for a AC block... Not everyone will toss money at a full cover more than necessary.

About the screws, that's strange since mine came with all the necessary hardware. Anyway, if you have a problem with EK blocks, just don't get them and pay a arm and a leg for a AC block... Not everyone will toss money at a full cover more than necessary.

The screws for the alu attachment wasn't the only thing wrong with my block but who's counting? :(

The AC block is about the same price as the EK block. Based on how limited the EK 8800GT block is from EK, I thought it would be good to let people know there is an alternative. I know Sharka has a good 25 plexi top and 20 stainless top 8800GT blocks and they look much better than my 8800GTS block from EK. Both in quality of the milling and the bling bling effect of the rounded edges and such.

I agree with you when it come to offer alternatives. However, please stop bashing a brand just on your own personnal experience since not everyone got the same experience as yours. Mine is great, everything is included and it worked fine (granted it's bought 2nd hand but package is never opened so it's considered like it came directly from EK). Hell, nobody started flaming on the AC name here so please don't add crap...

The AC block is great indeed and it would be a nice choice. But at 139$, there is better alternatives for much cheaper like the Ek for 109-119$. But honestly, if both is priced the same, I might have picked the AC over the EK just for the craftmanship and the single-slot design.

I've got to admit, I love the look of the new AC blocks. Once Sharka gets the 3870 block in, I'll probably be getting one of those.

I've got to admit, I love the look of the new AC blocks. Once Sharka gets the 3870 block in, I'll probably be getting one of those.

They might be placing a special order with AC (which means they will ship air) so make sure you email them about your interest. I am in for two for my 3870's.

Back