AC Compressor?

Grnade

n00b
This is just an idea, I have no idea if it would work or not. Is there such thing as a small portable AC compressor? It would have to be around the size of an AC compressor for a car. When I searched, I couldn't find anything, but I thought some of you HardOCPers might know. My idea here is to simply get colder air into my case, I do not want to water cool or anything of that nature. My idea would be to attach a vent from an AC compressor directly to the side of my case which has a 120mm fan blowing air in. I realize this method isn't as good as others, however, it would do the job for me. If you have any knowledge or ideas, please reply, any help would be appreciated.

just hack a small fridge to pieces but keep the compressor intact, there ya go

An AC compressor alone will not give you cold air. A compressor simply compresses gasses. There is nothing in a compressor that would cool anything. The cooling is due to the gas. And a lot of smaller compressors are about the size of an automotive AC compressor.

jpmkm said:
An AC compressor alone will not give you cold air. A compressor simply compresses gasses. There is nothing in a compressor that would cool anything. The cooling is due to the gas. And a lot of smaller compressors are about the size of an automotive AC compressor.

Yes i realize that, you would need to make a evaporator, condensor, and capilairy tube in order to use the compressor to cool anything, i know how a/c works

my point was, with the compressor being the most expensive part in a simple phase change setup you could just rip one out of a small fridge

k1pp3r said:
Yes i realize that, you would need to make a evaporator, condensor, and capilairy tube in order to use the compressor to cool anything, i know how a/c works

my point was, with the compressor being the most expensive part in a simple phase change setup you could just rip one out of a small fridge
I was responding to the OP because I get the feeling he doesn't know this.

A little fridge compressor isn't built to run all the time, you would burn it out and fry your processor.

Back