AC always plugged in a bad idea?

Tweakin

[H]ard|Gawd
Quick question. My pops got a new laptop ~4 months ago and 'plugged it in' to start using it. Well, he never did unplug it, so the ac adapter has been constantly plugged in to the laptop for the 4 months he has had it, with the battery in the machine.

He called me today just back in from a mini vacation and asked me a question I didn't know how to answer. He said his laptop battery was totally dead when he took it out for the first time on vacation, and even after plugging it in and charging it, still wouldnt run without being plugged directly into the wall.

My question is, did leaving it plugged in for 4 months kill the battery? Could it possibly just be defective?

The laptop is a modern ABS laptop he bought online, I don't recall the model number, but it was their mid-range deal and I believe it had a 2-3 hour battery life.

if its not a lithium-ion battery, yes. very bad.

if it is. it's actually very good unless it died because of excess heat.

omega-x said:
if its not a lithium-ion battery, yes. very bad.

if it is. it's actually very good unless it died because of excess heat.

It is a lithium ion as far as I know. Heat shouldnt have been an issue, but i wont rule it out.

Probably defective or some such. I will swing by his place tomorrow and call ABS.

Thanks for the responses.

Back