ABS/Tagan BZ800 800w Power Supply @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ABS BZ800 800w Power Supply - ABS is back with their second Tagan built power supply. This time a more modest 800w unit that should fit the power profile of most users. And it looks pretty darn cool as well while sporting high end modular connects.

However we don’t base our evaluations on marketing. Our evaluation process showed that ABS/Tagan BZ800 is a very good power supply that produces very clean DC output. Priced at $199, $169 after MIR, this unit easily competes with other units in its wattage class and out-features them all.

Still not buying one after their previous general asshat-ery.

Me too. But my personal feelings and the product quality and performance are two different issues and we don't let one impact the other.

To note, the Tagan rep has never stepped up to the plate and apologized for his actions or contacted HardOCP in any way. Personally I think he should be fired for his actions.

That said, let's keep this review on topic please.

Another nice review.

BTW, is not here, where can we take our smartass comments and ass-hattery if we wer so inclined to do so?

LOL at the microphone connectors. Yep, they are the same connectors used on UHF/VHF radio sets.

How do these stack up compared to nylon connectors used everywhere else?

LOL at the microphone connectors. Yep, they are the same connectors used on UHF/VHF radio sets.

How do these stack up compared to nylon connectors used everywhere else?

Well they certainly are more secure.

without seeing the actual specs on the connectors and their pins, its hard to say.

I wish the PC world would have never adopted the Molex style pin/socket, as they are terrible for high current applications. there are a lot of better, albiet more expensive, options for connecting high current devices.

Well I have a case from them and for 100 bucks I doubt many cases could beat it (though maybe it's just me but I can't get a DVD drive in it properly...even though the HDDs slide in perfectly from the side and installing them couldn't be easier), so I'd say the first PSU was a bit of a fluke...and as for the PR problem - I guess someone should keep people from putting their personal opinions in professional situations.

The PSU seems great though. My new 700 wat one is more than enough though so I won't be picking this one up anytime soom.

What Tagan does with cases and what Tagan does with PSU's is two totally different things.

That's like making some sort of parallel between Hyundai monitors and automobiles.

The 1100W was not a fluke. It's overhyped mediocrity. I know Topower can make a good 800W. I also know that they're shifty 1000W+. This happens to be reflected by Tagan and Tagan's personnel being whack jobs didn't help the situation.

any more thoughts on the shifting of the voltage and efficiency during the 8-hour test?

Could it be from aging of the 'samson' capacitors? It burns me up that we have to deal with this poor capacitor issue still in computer electronics. It's the #1 component that affects PSU lifetime, as long as the silicon isn't overheated. Wonder if this PSU could handle a 48 hour 80% test..

Another good PSU review [H].

I like the approach ABS/Tagan has taken with the modular cables. If I didn't already have a TT Toughpower 1200 I would probably pick one up.

any more thoughts on the shifting of the voltage and efficiency during the 8-hour test?

Could it be from aging of the 'samson' capacitors? It burns me up that we have to deal with this poor capacitor issue still in computer electronics. It's the #1 component that affects PSU lifetime, as long as the silicon isn't overheated. Wonder if this PSU could handle a 48 hour 80% test..

I would expect it to be too short a time window to see those caps affecting it already in this unit. The efficiency really isn't that far out of line given it is a 5% greater load than Test #3 and it was getting warmer in there than Test #3.

I kind of wish I could run this unit for an extended period of time due to those caps but we can only do so much with a review and the badcap issues normally never crop up in reviews of motherboards or PSU's. Also, it has been relayed second hand to me that when approached Topower was quick to tell other partners that they can not use these capacitors in the future for that companies products.

The 1100W was not a fluke. It's overhyped mediocrity. I know Topower can make a good 800W. I also know that they're shifty 1000W+. This happens to be reflected by Tagan and Tagan's personnel being whack jobs didn't help the situation.

You make it so hard to not make a smartass comment about a specific individual on their forums by saying that.

But anyway, I do agree.

Another very informative and entertaining PSU review. Thanks for being one of the few beacons among darkness.

Regarding PipeRock it's obviously :p : fatPIPEROCKsolid cable/connection. (Reminds me way back when Kyle couldn't figure out why the LasagnaCooler was called just that. After some JD I mailed him the right answer. :D )

Regarding the reviewed unit, it looks nice enough if it wasn't for the unknown/possibly bad caps on the secondary side. It's certainly beyond me why Topower are using their customers as guinea pigs.
It's equally stunning that Tagan keeps up their marketing BS with "BZ PSU are made with best components". Maybe they are referring to the legendary soccer player George Best? :D He was wonderful for a short while after which he lost himself in the bottle.

the forum thread is amusing already :p None of the people there seem to have realized that they were complete douchebags regarding the previous review :p heheh except FadedSpark ;) hint hint.

Ill be honest, i cut to the end after the old review, went back and re read after it did well though :D

I gotta say I'm impressed that you gave another one of their products a good review after that previous episode. Or that you even bothered to review another one of their products again. I wouldn't of done it.

Still not buying one after their previous general asshat-ery.

Yes,same here,that and 'if it aint broke why fix it' (Corsair FTW !! )

Now we are waiting for the Tagan rep to ask where he can send his $20,000 check to, or does a Silver Editor's Choice award from [H] only warrant a $10,000 payment??? :p

My fave qoute ^ :D

I gotta say I'm impressed that you gave another one of their products a good review after that previous episode.

The previous issue was simply a product that was not capable of what it said it was and a very poor response from the company it has nothing to do with the new product. Each unit gets treated during testing as if I have never seen this product or company before. During the writing processI will draw similarities to companies previously reviewed products but the performance of those previous products does not have anything to do with the score the new product gets.

Or that you even bothered to review another one of their products again. I wouldn't of done it.

Well it is a product that we felt would be of interest to our readers so no matter what Tagan may have said we would review the product and give it a fair shot. Also it was ABS who has provided these samples and ABS has been nothing short of professional, courteous, and helpful at all times. So there is no reason to punish ABS for the comments made by their partner that they can not control.

On test #4 where the 12v dropped below 12v, is it still within ATX spec? What would be the impact on the rest of the components?

Thanks!

Anything within 5%, above or below, is "in spec."

It's highly unlikely that even 7 or 8% below would make any impact on components since virtually every voltage is regulated once again at the component.

Back