About to pull the trigger on this GTX 275 Or go AMD?

What's the benefit of Folding again? Isn't it just some community massively parallel processing project using idle cycles?

some people like to put their toys to good use. its a plus for me.

As for the original topic, the 275 destroys the 4890 so it's an easy choice. :D
You need to look up "destroys" in a dictionary: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/04/01/asus_eah4890_video_card_evaluation/1

The 4890 provides equivalent performance to the GTX275 at a lower price, and overclocks extremely well. The GTX275 is certainly a great card, but it isn't worth a higher price than the 4890 since it doesn't perform any better. So the 4890 clearly represents a better value.

Windows 7 driver support from NVIDIA has been first rate. They also seem to update their drivers more frequently. I think NVIDIA does a better job supporting their product. Also, I like NVIDIA's board partners better. I've had several ATi cards just die, artifact, ect. NVIDIA just seems more solid to me.

They also seem to have more pull with developers and partner up to get optimizations in more games. I think NVIDIA is the safer choice.

Windows 7 driver support from NVIDIA has been first rate. They also seem to update their drivers more frequently. I think NVIDIA does a better job supporting their product. Also, I like NVIDIA's board partners better. I've had several ATi cards just die, artifact, ect. NVIDIA just seems more solid to me.

They also seem to have more pull with developers and partner up to get optimizations in more games. I think NVIDIA is the safer choice.

I don't see nVidia releasing monthly driver updates, both companies does a great job supporting their product,with their own strenght and weaknesses. Is true that nVidia has better partners. Dying ATi cards is very uncommon, some 9700, or 9800 cards, but the X800 was solid except the X800XL, X1K series was solid, the entire HD line up was solid, nVidia did have dying 6800 series, specially the 6800GT/Ultra, had dying 7800/7900 series, specially the 7900GT/GTX, had 8800GTX/GTS G80 dying, along with their 8400/8600 series which also die in less than 1 year of usage in many laptops and some small form desktops.

So in the end, is just a matter of real vision, and today, the best performance/price ratio belongs to the HD 4890 which overclocks better than any GTX 275 and can rival the stock GTX 285 in performance when is overclocked, something that the GTX 275 can only hope.

You shouldn't have to overclock a video card. They run hot, noisy, and power hungry to begin with. I have never had a positive experience overclocking a video card. With video cards it is hard to know if you have gone too far until it is too late and that artifacting starts. I'm all for CPU overclocking but video card overclocking is just a headache that will lead to RMA down the road.

I've had several ATi cards just die, artifact, ect. NVIDIA just seems more solid to me.
My 6800GT died twice. My Ti4400 doesn't output properly over the VGA port. I have an old GeForce 256 that displays garbled video. Comparatively, I have a bunch of old ATI Rage-era cards (a few different models) that still work fine, along with a Radeon 7000 and a Radeon 7500 that are running in PCs used by some family members. My Radeon 9600 which I bought in 2003 still works perfectly, as does my current 4870 which I haven't had a single problem with (and it's been running Folding@Home nearly 24/7 since the day I built this PC, which was about ten months ago). The worst problem I've ever personally experienced with an ATI card is a dying fan in the custom cooler used by a friend's 9800XT.

For every story like yours, I've seen a story like mine. For every person with major issues using ATI drivers, there is a person with major issues using nVidia drivers. The fact is, when it comes to the reliability of ATI and nVidia's products and their drivers, it's pretty much a wash. There is no winner; they are equal. This isn't 2000 any more. The most meaningful criteria for comparison between video cards now are price, performance and power usage. Driver issues and product reliability are not factors.

Many thanks to those of you who are attempting to help the OP answer his question.

The rest of you in here to have some retarded brand-x pwns brand-y discussion need to quit while you can still post in this forum. If you see someone trolling pointless fanboy nonsense, the last thing you should do is reply to them.

the HD 4890 which overclocks better than any GTX 275

This claim is false. It has the potential through voltmodding to hit very high clocks, but without it, it's a modest overclocker. I'm talking 10% at best at stock for most people. People hitting the 1GHz mark are running either modded BIOS settings or using voltage tweaking software (usually). The 275 core easily hits 700MHz from the 633 stock and often 720 and higher, which is pushing 15% improvements. Similar results can be seen on the shaders going from 1404 to 1550-1600+ and the memory from 1152 to 1250.

Both cards overclock quite well, you simply hear about the 4890 more because it hits the GHz barrier. Clock for clock, the 275 outperforms it, assuming ostensibly that you actually research reviews with a philosophy deeper than "HardOCP commands it".

I like both "Red or Green", I always buy my next card on cost performance. My next card? it will depend on which maker gives me the best value for my $$$.

The one thing I'd say about the 4890 is most people will want one with a custom cooler because the stock one is too loud.

I like both "Red or Green", I always buy my next card on cost performance. My next card? it will depend on which maker gives me the best value for my $$$.

That is my way of thinking as well. But I have to admit it though, I've had a better experience in ATi's drivers opposed to Nvidia's. Nvidia's drivers are great but they're too singled out to work with only a certain game to unleash your full performance. Like in CoD Modern Warefare I can run everything max at a high res and get a fluid game play. Then I'll play an older game like FEAR and I can get up to 120 fps but then before I know it I'll be playing in 25fps conditions. With ATi's drivers I've never really noticed a decrease in performance in my games when I updated to the next driver. All I have seen are slight improvements in some games.

You shouldn't have to overclock a video card. They run hot, noisy, and power hungry to begin with. I have never had a positive experience overclocking a video card. With video cards it is hard to know if you have gone too far until it is too late and that artifacting starts. I'm all for CPU overclocking but video card overclocking is just a headache that will lead to RMA down the road.

Well let's see, I just received my Vapor-X 4890 yesterday. I overclocked it easily to 950/1125 Mhz by just moving a couple of sliders and pushing a button to make sure it passed a stability test. ATI makes overclocking GPUs completely easy. So your anecdotal experience is certainly the opposite of mine. The 4890 is a very good overclockable GPU, and in that area it might surpass the GTX275.

PS No noise problems with my Vapor-X. :)

Its easy to know if you've pushed the card too far. If you see artifacts, you've gone too far. Just dial it back a bit and the artifacts go away, they aren't permanent. No different than if you OC a CPU to far it crashes/produces invalid results. The only difference is with a GPU you actually SEE the invalid results, rather than relying on software to tell you that there are invalid results.

I have had 0 issues with Windows 7 and the Nvidia drivers. They seem rock solid. I went with NVIdia (2x260's).

Back