About to blow a lot of money on this laptop - opinions?

Dead linky.

But I'd say go for it. Emachines laptops are getting good now.

I await others to start chiming in with "Emachines is teh suX0rs"

edited to fix link -

i don't know, what issues do people really have with emachines? it seems like they're really turned around this year. but then again, i don't know anyone that owns one... :)

I'd say that you could find roughly the same laptop for cheaper with special sales or such, but that price does seem right for that laptop, so I'd say, yes, go for it. 100% approval. ;)

The problem with old emachines were they used subpar-quality parts, they had horrid customer service (bottom rung of the industry, not Mushkin, Newegg, Intel, Crucial level, etc.), and were overall a pain to work with. My high school had a bunch of emachines (now they have Gateways...) and I had to troubleshoot some for teachers, not fun at all. And people remember what crap those old PCs were.

But emachines have changed; they have new management, improved customer service, and are churning out better PCs now. And their laptops are made by Arima; several people on this board have purchased their laptops and have been very pleased.

Get this. If the DVDr is important go with the m6807. If you burn more CD's I'd go with the m6805 and get a separated DVDr as it has a 24X burner and the m6807 only burns at 8. I have had mine over two weeks now and it is awesome. Wouldn't trade it. With the fact that technology continues to march on, and the fact that laptops have limited upgradeability, you have found what I believe to be the best price point for ANY mobile computer hardware out there. Just an opinion though...

honestly, what's most attractive to me is the 64 bit factor.

i figure i'll multi-boot it like this:

dos 6.22 (no kidding, i do a lot of my writing in dos - less distractions :))
windows XP pro
windows XP 64 beta
Some 64-bit linux flavor
Some other 64-bit linux flavor

with the XP Pro partition using 2/3 of the drive, the rest split the remaining space (dos only gets 500 megs tho).

I say do it, it sounds/looks like a good laptop.

have you not read any of the 6805/07 "fanbase" or other posts here? they are pretty informative and will definitely make you feel better about it.

this laptop is TOP TOP quality. i don't think you can find a better laptop for the money. i absolutely love mine. it's an amazing machine that has continually impressed me on a daily basis.

good luck finding one though. i think you'll probably have a huge problem finding one... :)

.a.
www.andrewmusic.net

Originally posted by .a.
have you not read any of the 6805/07 "fanbase" or other posts here? they are pretty informative and will definitely make you feel better about it.

this laptop is TOP TOP quality. i don't think you can find a better laptop for the money. i absolutely love mine. it's an amazing machine that has continually impressed me on a daily basis.

good luck finding one though. i think you'll probably have a huge problem finding one... :)

.a.
www.andrewmusic.net

why do you say that I'll have a problem finding one? Best Buy carries them, right?

ok wait... i just checked online and stores near me... no one has this thing??? sonofa!

help me out here guys, any ideas as to where to get it?

Wow. I hit up a bunch of online stores (including best buy and the like) and I can't find it in stock or stocked at all.

CC and bestbuy are the only two places you can get them. the most i've ever seen them have at once is...one!

BB doesn't carry the 6807 if you're interested in the DVD writer.

CC used to have them in stock for ordering online, but i don't think they do anymore. might be awhile...

.a.

yeah, also called everyone in a 120 mile radius. :)

maybe i could call them directly?

:(

Yeah, go for that laptop. But before you get either the 6805/7, I'd wait till Sunday newspapers ads to see if they will do a new laptop sale. The current $100 rebate looks good till 5/29/04, so you have plenty of time there. But I bought my 6805 at BB two weeks ago when they had an extra $150 rebate on laptops. Hopefully they'll do that again this weekend. Or go for there 2 year no interest deal if they still have it.

Also, Best Buy will offer you a warranty for 3 years for $300. Or you can go with Emachines extended warranty for 3 years for $189. I went with BB because they promissed a new battery each year, even if the current one is working and most times they don't ask for the old one. Plus I wouldn't bother having to mail the laptop.

I think I'd also go with just the m6805 model with the faster CD-burner, compared to paying $100 more for the 2x DVD-RW in the 6807 model. You could put that $100 towards a burner for you desktop or external and will be faster. Plus at the time for me, Circuit City didn't have that extra $150 rebate and finacing. Or even use that saved $100 on a faster HD. But I have a feeling that you'll be buying which ever model comes in stock first :)

they only sell to retailers. kind of sucks. i wanted to order directly from them...

email me if you like ([email protected]). i juuuuuust got mine last week. if you're really that interested, i will sell you mine. i have several laptops that i'm evaluating right now, and i am a pretty patient guy. i can wait for another to come in.. :)

let me know if i can help out!

.a.

Welll..... andrew, thank you for the offer (as I said in email)... I contacted Emachines and they confirmed that the 680x models are still in production officially -

Thank you for contacting eMachines.

I see that you have a question about available models.
The models are still in production.

Okay, I just went ahead and looked at the newspaper ad for Feb29-March 6th. It shows that they will again have a $150 rebate on select notebooks (excludes apples).

So this looks like the deal they had a few weeks ago and will make the 6805 $1299 after $250 in rebates. Plus they will have 18month no interest. There could be a chance the 6805 won't be one of the select notebooks, but it was last time.

Now don't go asking about the rebate until the ad runs this Sunday, or you will get trouble.

Originally posted by jmahler
I contacted Emachines and they confirmed that the 680x models are still in production officially -

They are very much still in production; they're only 2 months old! That's why you are having trouble finding one. BB, CC, and eMachines underestimated and can't keep up with the demand.

I've had my 6805 since 1/25/04 and would highly recommend the machine to anyone except for the truly mobile users who need 5+ hours of battery life.

It's a killer gaming rig, 54G, and 64-BIT!!!!!

Get one if you can find one; you won't be sorry!

Originally posted by TimothyB
Okay, I just went ahead and looked at the newspaper ad for Feb29-March 6th. It shows that they will again have a $150 rebate on select notebooks (excludes apples).

So this looks like the deal they had a few weeks ago and will make the 6805 $1299 after $250 in rebates. Plus they will have 18month no interest. There could be a chance the 6805 won't be one of the select notebooks, but it was last time.

Now don't go asking about the rebate until the ad runs this Sunday, or you will get trouble.

hey, very very cool! makes it worth getting the 07, it sounds like! thank you very much. hopefully, bb or cc will have them back in stock during this promotion.

what i'd really LOVE to see tho is that "speculated" 17" model (that well, as far as i can tell, is only a rumor that someone started and everyone believed... but i WANT TO BELIEVE dammit).

Originally posted by jmahler
hey, very very cool! makes it worth getting the 07, it sounds like! thank you very much. hopefully, bb or cc will have them back in stock during this promotion.

what i'd really LOVE to see tho is that "speculated" 17" model (that well, as far as i can tell, is only a rumor that someone started and everyone believed... but i WANT TO BELIEVE dammit).

I don't know at all if CC that has the 07 will also have a $150 dollar rebate, when I bought my 05 a couple weeks ago, BB had the 150 rebate, but CC didn't, if it ever did.

But maybe you can talk to a manager at CC after confirming BB has a 150 rebate on the 6805 and tell them that you'll buy the 6807 right now if they knock off $150 instantly or you'll take you business elsewhere.

I didn't say exactly the 6805, but on select notebooks, which sounds just like the last sale and I would imagine the 6805 would have it again.

I work at a newspaper so I can check out all the ads ahead of time, sometimes I find best buy ads two weeks ahead. We can look at them, but if you take one out that area early you'll get in trouble.

Yes, they are running the $150 rebate special this week. I stopped by on monday to see what the deal was and they did have the 6805 for only $1300. The only problem is that they were sold out and should get more on thursday. The guy I spoke with didn't know if they would get any or not.

I sure hope they do, because I can take advantage of their 14 day trial period. If I dont like like it after 14 days I can return it for a full refund.

Well, the one here in traverse city michigan is offering the rebate. You will just have to stop by you local store to see.

Also, I dont think that "digital dollar" thing is the same, infact i am not sure what that is or how it works.

anyone know when this rebate will expire after this week or is this a long term thing

cause i might have to use the money i have for something else which will delay my purchase...

I just checked out my local BB in Modesto, CA and they have a total of $250 rebates.

Back