About this "Team" thing....Follow up from Killers highjacked thread ;)

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Unless I’m seriously mistaken and of course I could be, way back when we (the team and it’s leaders) pretty much decided that google et al was NOT a team.

Today in Killer’s thread “Congrats to everyone on taking #1” I’m reading many arguments and rationalizations as to why Google is now a team.

From what I understand OCAU was/is the combined effort of several teams and as such they have done an amazing job and are to be congratulated for being the only “team” to give us any competition, and a wonderful race it’s been.

The [H] has had the distinction of being the only team built of almost entirely of single members, and some corporate folders. That my friends is feat that has not been equaled. This team was built and has survived because of our individual nature.

Right now the team is stronger and producing more then ever, as a TEAM. OUR team.

I don’t really feel like joining the ranks of the anonymous at the moment just to be #1 with the nameless.

Why is it every time we get this team really rocking someone feels the need to fix what isn’t broken?

Sub teams within our team? Sure, I suggested it before and I think it’s valid. OCAU did it and proved that it can work. We fought OCAU back and forth for a long time now and it’s been a blast.

I do however (personally) draw the line at the [H] becoming part of another team and giving up the identity we have worked so hard to obtain. We each of us must follow our hearts; it’s our right and our choice. I however will not become part of a huge nonentity.

BillR

I agree totally with BillR, I am part of the [H]ord and that means something...to me at least. I wouldnt want to be part of the unified by default team as that is not really a team, and being part of the [h]ord that is part of another team or teams seems silly to me.

That said I still think that sub teams within the [H]ord would be a blast too. Since we have taken back number one why not compete amongst ourselves for a little fun. amature athletes do it all the time. The olympic team is just the elite of the athletes, but why are they elite? Competeting against each other. It may be a specious analogy but its the best I can think of right now.

Kroz

What is a team in Folding ?

Is it 1,000 active users ? ([H])

Is it a team if there are 731 users with actual names other then google*** (google must have some easy way of entering a name now).

People who joined google, and put in their own "handle", should be called a team. Just like the [H].

Sub-teams have worked well here in the past. I seem to remember a lot of sub team competition with genome.

The real "team" is those who get in here and help others, who bitch and moan, who dump praise on others, and who contribute in some way or another.

As with many things, age and maturity have taken over youthful exuberance. We now have peeps asking "what is mojo ?". When's the last time there was a parts swap ? A Hooters meet ?

The team needs some young blood to hold boxen building parties to provide stories to us old farts.

The rest of us need to FOLD ON!!

Wholeheartedly agreed, BillR.

Competition within and without our ranks is the best way to boost production. A Gauntlet with the Aussies is a good way to sweat for the cause, as is a rumble in our roster.

We are the [H]orde. We are not anonymous. We are each our own person, and we form a team. We have a character, we have a presense and we have a reputation.

We do not need to merge or disband our team to get more points than some faceless, meaningless group of ghost machines.

For me, this is for fun, for brotherhood, for science and for the unborn.

I burn for the [H]orde.
I bleed dark red, orangey and grey,
FOR THE [H]ORDE.

how is OCAU an aggregate of several teams?

we - just like you are mostly individual folders - with a couple of big-hitters?

as far as i know (and i have been around quite awhile now) OCAU was never "multiple" teams - just like you we have been bound together via a particular website.

badg3er

If that’s the case many of us have been totally misinformed, and as such I offer my apology, and stand corrected.

You guys have a great team, and I hope the competition continues till all the cures are found.

Keep on folding:D

BillR

I have to agree with CIWS from his points made within that other thread.

What will happen now we are in the lead?
Those that left UD etc to help out will return to their desired projects.
Others will turn on eachother (already seems to be starting).
The overall production will fall.
Ocau will catch up & pass and the cycle will begin again...this time ocau production will eventually drop though they dont seem to be so self-destructive as the horde.

Now if we united with them to chase the google team then we will have 2 giant teams chasing another. Both teams will try hard and so the project will get a higher production level than the curent status quo, ergo science wins.

We are like a pack of dogs. Somebody runs past us and we take off biting at their ankles until we eventually catch (& pass) them. then we mill around for a while and then having no real focus turn on eachother. Sad really, maybe that is why so many people have wandered off and found other projects, maybe they got boredwe'll probably will never know.

I rue the loss of the fun we had in f@h1 when we were starting out and other teams got the shock of their folding lives when our small team just powered to the top.

I've said enough, I'll just slink off to bed now.

Night all.

It’s déjà vu all over again:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=418901

Please note the dates:D

I have no problem being on the #1 team and staying #1, or fighting hard to get back to #1.

I'll never be #1 on our "Team" but I see no reason to quit being here for that reason either.

We have a hell of a team here folks, a team to be proud of.

BillR

Thanks to James_TheVirus for the linkage.

Originally posted by neevo
I have to agree with CIWS from his points made within that other thread.

What will happen now we are in the lead?
Those that left UD etc to help out will return to their desired projects.
Others will turn on eachother (already seems to be starting).
The overall production will fall.
Ocau will catch up & pass and the cycle will begin again...this time ocau production will eventually drop though they dont seem to be so self-destructive as the horde.

Now if we united with them to chase the google team then we will have 2 giant teams chasing another. Both teams will try hard and so the project will get a higher production level than the curent status quo, ergo science wins.

We are like a pack of dogs. Somebody runs past us and we take off biting at their ankles until we eventually catch (& pass) them. then we mill around for a while and then having no real focus turn on eachother. Sad really, maybe that is why so many people have wandered off and found other projects, maybe they got boredwe'll probably will never know.

I rue the loss of the fun we had in f@h1 when we were starting out and other teams got the shock of their folding lives when our small team just powered to the top.

I've said enough, I'll just slink off to bed now.

Night all.

This is a good argument. If we have something to chase after, our production will increase a lot. Realistically, doesnt look like we will ever catch google (62 mil vs. 26.4 mil) but as for weekly production, we are about 200k off. It doesnt look like that much...

When we are in first place, we usually do mill around and production does drop.

FOLD ON!!!

Its been a long time since I was a newbie for anything but I think its time for me to pull out the hat and dust it off cuz after reading a few posts the last couple days I realize that I havent the foggiest idea what the hell is going on in here.

I may be [H]ard and be part of the [H]ord but I have a lot to learn about the [H]istory of this whole DC'ing.

And to think I was just in it for fun and science.

P.S. - I am still laffing @ the MoJo Story..."No Good Can Come Of This!"

Kroz

Kroz

I too am into all this for the fun and science. Was from the start and still am.

Never count out the OCAU team,,ever! The "goal" as I see it is to stay out front and build a huge lead (the fun part).

The science benefits. We all win:D

BillR

Originally posted by BillR

Never count out the OCAU team,,ever! The "goal" as I see it is to stay out front and build a huge lead (the fun part).

BillR

We pegged back 1.6 million points last time after you had the lead for 16mths.

We will not go away, you can count on that...;)

Originally posted by Bollocks
We pegged back 1.6 million points last time after you had the lead for 16mths.

We will not go away, you can count on that...;)
I think it's in everyone's best interest that OCAU not "go away". It keeps the people with short attention spans focused and it also helps keep the science going full speed ahead. You guys need to ramp just enough to keep pressure on us while we stay just ahead of you...now get ramping! :)

Originally posted by BillR:

Exactly. I think we will see OCAU back in top fighting form in little time.

EDIT: misinformation implied

You all have to remember one thing here.

We can not afford to get complacent especially considering that the Aussies are going through summer right now. To pass them in this state means nothing to me. To keep this lead over them for the long haul is an accomplishment to me. I will settle for nothing less.

Let's not do what we have done in the past and let's not get comfortable here, we have no right to.

Cancer, Alzhiemers, Parkinsons will not take a break and neither can we.

I joined the [H]orde because I view all of you as being somewhat like myself. Most of us here seem to be free thinkers and do things our own way. I certainly can see thats the way Kyle and Steve are. They tell it like it is, good, bad or indifferent. I respect that. I do not want to be part of some cookie cutter project.

Very good point Dr. I think you [H]it the nail on the [H]ead.

Kroz

I don't know much about this folding thing but I downloaded the app and when it asked me who's team I wanted to be on if any, I said Team 33 [H]ardocp.
This is my first experience with this and my P3 850 in sig is chugging merrily along. I have my first 10/WU [2%] out of 400 on p638_l939_k12m_e.

The 850 is hardly used so this seemed like a good way to put it to use. Hope I did this right and [H] gets the team credit.
It says it's working and everything, sorry for being such a newb about this.
Folding on,
Bloefield

Originally posted by Bloefield
I don't know much about this folding thing but I downloaded the app and when it asked me who's team I wanted to be on if any, I said Team 33 [H]ardocp.
This is my first experience with this and my P3 850 in sig is chugging merrily along. I have my first 10/WU [2%] out of 400 on p638_l939_k12m_e.

The 850 is hardly used so this seemed like a good way to put it to use. Hope I did this right and [H] gets the team credit.
It says it's working and everything, sorry for being such a newb about this.
Folding on,
Bloefield

Do not put [H]ardocp for the team number. The only thing you put in the team # is "33"

You can change this easily by opening client.cfg in notepad and changing the team #

FOLD ON!!!

pduan87 said
Do not put [H]ardocp for the team number. The only thing you put in the team # is "33"
Sorry I made this unclear in my previous post but thankfully I only put the number ' 33' for the team number.
I checked it in the client.cfg and that is all that's there for team number.[33]
On my display screen it says
folding@home [H]ardocp

username
Bloefield
Team Number
p638_L939_K12m_e

WU progress 42/400
10%

Thanks for the reply,
Bloefield

Hi Bloefield, welcome to the team! One thing you should do is to run your client with the "-advmethods -forceSSE" flags. The -forceSSE flag might not be needed, but the -advmethods flag will get you gromacs core proteins (instead of the Tinker protein you're working on) that can make use of your P3's SSE abilities and get a lot more work done...and get a lot more points! :)

Mattman said
One thing you should do is to run your client with the "-advmethods -forceSSE" flags. The -forceSSE flag might not be needed, but the -advmethods flag will get you gromacs core proteins (instead of the Tinker protein you're working on) that can make use of your P3's SSE abilities and get a lot more work done...and get a lot more points!
Thanks for the welcome and advice,
Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place but on Version 4.00 in the advanced window there is no "-advmethods-force SSE" flags
In the config window there is
Scientific core
core priority
lowest possible or slightly higher[I set it at slightly higher]
CPU usage, I set a %100
Checkpoint frequency, set at default[ 15 minutes+-]
Deadlines=none
Client type= folding@home

Please advise on where I might enable the SSE intructions of the P3 if they are not being used for the project as I of course want to get the most out of it for the Project and the [H]team.
:)
Oops, I forgot one more entry in the advanced window which is:
"Disable highly optimized assembly code" which I left unchecked.

Bloefield,
Wecome!
Put the flags in the Target line of the shortcut to the FAH exe, after the final quote.
I put the shortcut into the Startup folder so that folding begins each time the computer is started.
The -advmethods flag won't be functional until you get your next protein, but adding -forceSSE now
could help immediately if your client isn't using the SSE optimizations.
Stop the client, add the flags, then restart with the shortcut.

90000.gif

Yeah, I didn't want to go into too much detail if you didn't need it, but if you add those to the line like Celerator said, it will try to get Gromacs core work units and make use of SSE extensions (make sure you have a space between the two flags). If you had been running the original way for a while, you would have enjoyed seeing how much more work you would have done before and after applying the flags. To check and see if you're using SSE, have a look at the folding log file - towards the beginning of a work unit it will say "Extra SSE boost OK.", which means that you're good to go.

if you don't understand what these guys are saying.

put a shortcut to folding on your desktop - right click icon and goto prop. and then find line like mine is this "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -forcesse -advmethods

put the -forcesse -advmethods after the path and then restart it and it will make it work

Ok guys, just got back and implimented the changes.
I created the shortcut and added the -forcesse -advmethods to the shortcuts target field and restarted and I'm back to "working" status.
The log file now notes a warning about forcing the-forcesse flag and if I don't really want to do it remove the line blah blah so it looks like it's implemented and will be put to use.
Thanks [H]uman,Mattman and Celerator and all for your help and patience.
This is so different from gaming
I think I might put this Tualatin to work and start out with the -forcesse instruction just to see what project I get.:)

@24 hrs I've got 86/400 WU [21%]

No problem, Bloefield. I think you'll find that running with those flags is like giving your folding machine a horsepower upgrade!

<snip>
I think I might put this Tualatin to work and start out with the -forcesse instruction just to see what project I get.:)

@24 hrs I've got 86/400 WU [21%]
The -forcesse flag does not affect what project you get. The -advmethods does.

Speaking of flags... SSE crashes only newer AMD procs right? I'm built my friend his computer and his 2500+ barton seems to crash with SSE... Guess I'll just have to settle with 3dnow! :(

FOLD ON!!!

Originally posted by pduan87
Speaking of flags... SSE crashes only newer AMD procs right? I'm built my friend his computer and his 2500+ barton seems to crash with SSE... Guess I'll just have to settle with 3dnow! :(

FOLD ON!!!

So it crashes and reboots... Tell him as much :rolleyes:
2-3X improvement on frame times.
but hey, it's up to you.

Not his bothers me, I have 4 bartons, two hard modded to 2700+ in a dually, 2 more running at 3200+ with fsb overclocks.

These never lock up, ever. I do run voltage at about 1.75 to 1.8 and bumped the ram voltage up one step. All have volcano-7 hsf.

All run below 45c folding. All have -forcesse turned on.

Maybe we need to look at setups, case cooling etc.

Fold on

BillR

Originally posted by mwarps
So it crashes and reboots... Tell him as much :rolleyes:
2-3X improvement on frame times.
but hey, it's up to you.

I have it at my house right now, I'm gonna turn on -forceSSE and see how it does...

Plus this guy is reluctant to fold, so if the computer crashes, the last thing he'll worry about is 2-3x improvement on frame times.

FOLD ON!!!

Crashiing and rebooting is one thing. But if it corrupts the WU you may lose all the work done on it. I've an older Morgan core Duron and last week I lost at least one 52 point WU on step 94.
Also the machine locked up at step 87 and did not get rebooted for 6 hours. So I lost about 2 days of work on that one WU.

Originally posted by BillR
Not his bothers me, I have 4 bartons, two hard modded to 2700+ in a dually, 2 more running at 3200+ with fsb overclocks.

These never lock up, ever. I do run voltage at about 1.75 to 1.8 and bumped the ram voltage up one step. All have volcano-7 hsf.

All run below 45c folding. All have -forcesse turned on.

Maybe we need to look at setups, case cooling etc.

Fold on

BillR

I tend to agree.

I've had one single lockup that I can positively attribute to folding in the last six months, and that was on a machine that I forgot to burn in (assumed that since the chip had done better and the mobo had done better that the OC was fine - it wasn't - needed to bump the vcore)

Check those setups. Check the power, cooling and anything else you can muster. There's no real reason these things should lock up. SSE instructions are not particularly "intermittent" :confused:

I've been wondering how running 24/7 would affect the P3 850 I just started folding with.
It's the first time it's ever been on this long[2.5 days now] and actually doing something too. There seems to be no heat related issues so far.
I've got one intake fan I threw in the front of the case one exhaust in the rear, the 2 fans on the 850 itself, the gpu's fan and the ps fan. I have 2 or 3 of those slot fans that go in a pci slot laying around, does anybody know if they are worth throwing in?
Also, I'm at 51% of my task so far, 206/400. Everthing seems to be working and I should be done with this in another 2 days or less. When does the contribution become awknowledged, after 100% completion? The contribution web page has my name[Bloefield] but zero for active processors and nothing for "date of last work unit". I ask only to make sure this is getting reported for the importance of the work, not for personnel recognition.
Ps I'm 53 and as I saw in another thread someone said the average age of [H]folders was 33. Well my addition to the group should raise that stat a bit.:)

This is actually pretty funny. You start another thread because you feel a previous one was hijacked only to do the very same thing in this thread. :p

CIWS said

This is actually pretty funny. You start another thread because you feel a previous one was hijacked only to do the very same thing in this thread.
I was wondering the same thing and am I off topic but I don't know what the topic IS in this thread.:D

No problemo, the threads here tend to get a little more "breathing room" than most other places because of info that may be getting passed on in them. :)

I've been wondering how running 24/7 would affect the P3 850 I just started folding with.
It's the first time it's ever been on this long[2.5 days now] and actually doing something too. There seems to be no heat related issues so far.
I've got one intake fan I threw in the front of the case one exhaust in the rear, the 2 fans on the 850 itself, the gpu's fan and the ps fan. I have 2 or 3 of those slot fans that go in a pci slot laying around, does anybody know if they are worth throwing in?
Also, I'm at 51% of my task so far, 206/400. Everthing seems to be working and I should be done with this in another 2 days or less. When does the contribution become awknowledged, after 100% completion? The contribution web page has my name[Bloefield] but zero for active processors and nothing for "date of last work unit". I ask only to make sure this is getting reported for the importance of the work, not for personnel recognition.
Ps I'm 53 and as I saw in another thread someone said the average age of [H]folders was 33. Well my addition to the group should raise that stat a bit.:)

The computer will be fine :) As for your stats showing up, yes you do need to send a completed unit back. After that first one, I guarentee that you will be SCROUNGING for more computers to install it on ;)

FOLD ON!!!

pduan87 said

After that first one, I guarentee that you will be SCROUNGING for more computers to install it on
Heh, you anticipated my feelings quite accuarately,see my question in new thread.
Thanks for your reply.
I can relax now for a few seconds till I start messing around with parts.
I just found a P2 450 in a shoebox I forgot I had!!

Back