About the XSPC GTX 260 FC Block

MrSneis

2[H]4U
I was fairly impressed with the final build quality of the waterblock especially for the price but there are a few issues I ran into:

1) There are only 6 thermal pads included for at least 7 chips and several more RAM chips, I applied paste to the video output chip(?) and the GPU core to make up for this and re-used the thermal pads from the factory heatsink for the ram. Not a major problem but I think other competitor blocks come with more thermal pads than only 6 tiny ones.

2) There is no back plate with the block so I re-used the factory NVIDIA one. This theoretically would be a fine solution but there are a few issues I ran into. First the card does indeed warp a bit by having the block installed with the factory plate. Second there is contact between the edge of the plate and the area for barbs, I tried danger-den's "sure-fit" barbs and the optional xspc barbs and both resulted in contact with the backplate. At least one ram-chip is not making optimal contact as a result.

Has anyone had experience with these issues?

I think it was covered in another thread where it was suggested to either get a longer screw w/a nylon washer or go w/out the backplate, but I can't remember for sure if that was on the XSPC FC or another brand.

the kit atually does come with spacers, unfortunately it seems like I will need to replace the backplate or live with it :(

Back