About Storage & Mac's

Nemesis429

Weaksauce
Soon I will be switching to iMac, and I've seen people use WHS2011 servers as storage for their MAC's and PC's.

What I want to know is can you edit files from Mac OS X, as making a WHS2011 server, which would be much cheaper than say buying a Drobo.

If you can't then I could just Bootcamp Windows 7 Pro.

Cheers.

OSX to Windows or another SMB Server is quite fine but is slow from Macs and usable
for basic file uses. If you need to have backups with TimeMachine this is not supported with SMB.

Beside using a real Mac as s server (MacPro) you can also use a ZFS multiprotokoll server
that gives you best achivable OSX performance via AFP, TimeMachine support, SMB, NFS and iSCSI
support and the best datasecurity at all with unlimited snapshot capability.

Software is free, Installation and management is quite easy
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRlwWytdcfk

Well all i was going to use is the server for storing media files, and anything storage wise for MAC's is overpriced.

What kind of speeds would you get using SMB?

Can you transfer from say an iMac to the WHS2011 Server?

Cheers.

Last edited:
My Macs talk SMB to my Synology boxes all the time. Works great..no issues at all. Speed is fine too, especially on Lion and Mountain Lion.

Just got 70MB/s with SMB. 110MB/s with AFP. That to one of my Synology boxes. AFP is faster for sure so if your NAS can do that do it. These share the same folders out over both so my Macs get the benefit of AFP and my Windows VM get the benefits of SMB.

Stream to couple Xbox 360's if pos, but primarily as media storage for an iMac.

Raid 5 would be a bonus, so that I could have some sort of data protection.

Last edited:
Yes, that was over Gb Ethernet. Buy the Synology that fits your budget and needs. Right now I have four of them. A DS212+, DS1010+, DS1511+, and a DS3611xs. Figure out how many bays you want and then the model. The + models have more CPU/RAM so you can run other apps on the NAS. My blog is in my sig and has reviews on a few models and more info.

Back