aborting a windows xp install

Redthorne

Gawd
ok here's my problem...something got borked in my original windows xp installation that was previously up and running. After some troubleshooting I decided that a repair installation over the the original would be in order.

However, after during the repair install, it turns out that something went funny with my cd and for whatever reason it can't read some files off the disk.

When I try to boot from the hard drive now, all it wants to do is keep resuming the windows xp repair install...but I know that my original install should still be ok because if i go into the repair console i can still log in and whatnot. Regardless, the bottom line is what do i edit or how to i tell windows to stop looking to run setup and instead go back to booting to the original install? the boot.ini does not indicate a choice of 2 different installations in case you are wondering.

i heard something aout editing the system.sav hive file but not sure.

edit: i found out that i do have a recent backup of my registry still on the drive that actually worked at the time. any keys I should import?

how far did it get in the install before it stopped working? cause if it went pretty far you might have to just finish the install..

and are you sure you logging into the old install, and not what is installed of the new one?

Back