Abit Serial ATA Converter

md262626

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone tried this accessory with any success? Is it worth hooking up? I couldn't get mine to work with my NF7-S. Everything was connected correctly and the serial in the BIOS was enabled. Any suggestions?

Did you install the drivers off the floppy that came with the board?

peace.
unloaded

Ive built 3 systems using the NF7-S and ive used the convertor on 2 of the 3. On the one I didnt use a convertor i instead used a native serial ATA drive. All the boards work fine. Just gotta install the divers by pressing f6 when installing XP.

Originally posted by UnLoadeD
Did you install the drivers off the floppy that came with the board?

peace.
unloaded

Thanks for that tip. I forgot about that little floppy until you mentioned it. I'll load it up and see if that fixes it. I'm sure it will.
Thanks again!

well mine stopped working mysteriously with my old western digital 30 gb 7200 rpm, but with my new 120 gb 8 mb cache it works great. Try a different harddrive, I thought my adapater was broke and it turns out that it was just hte harddrive being fussy o_O

Yeah i have 2 Maxtor Diamond plus 9 hard drives with Serial ata converters on a Abit nf7-s rev2.0.
I have to use EXT-P2P's Discard time of 1ms cause with 3.8us i get errors. And i get better hard drive reads with 3.8us. I wonder if this is only a Serial ata converter problem. Take a look.

http://members.rogers.com/mborowski/project.jpg

Does this device enhance performance? I don't have any HDD benchmarks to verify it.

Well I got it to work no problem, but I like the performance off the PATA better. Boot ups take longer and game loading was about the same. Just a gizmo I guess.......

Yeah there is zero performance gain. I used it for a while but it added 5-10 seconds to bootup so I just plugged my HD back into the IDE slot.

I had trouble using the adapter with my WD 80gb JB drive, until I flashed my bios to version 2.1 (was running 1.8)

Now it works just fine, had to enable SATA device, and also SATA raid in the Bios (even tho I'm not running RAID).

I ran multiple tests on both parallel IDE and sata using HD tach. Performance was almost identicle.

IDE had a slightly faster burst rate, but seek times were the same.
SATA had slightly less cpu usage (about 2% less).

and with the bios revision 2.1, the pc doesn't hang up on the SATA boot screen as long as it did on bios 1.8. it just flashes up for about a second and then immediately boots to windows.

You need to use rev 20 or 21 that is mod'd with the 4.2.27 version of the SATA bios. The rev 21 with 4.2.43 is messed up, and earlier than the 4.2.27 has the delay on SATA in the bootup speed.

Im using 20 with 4.2.27 and it is sweet. Im doing 2 Maxtor 80/8 drives in Sata raid with 2 Abit pata/sata adapters. They work great....be sre and set both drives jumpers to be "master".

The only thinkg I just couldnt figure out was how to get WinXP to let me put a small 2GB partition FIRST on the disk, then the 80GB Windows "C:" partition. It just wouldnt. Either it would croak if I left the space unformated, or it would make the windows partition "D:" if I formatted the little one. Weird.

You understand why I was doing this....to have the pagefile partition as the first on the disk, highest speed part of the disk.

Originally posted by md262626
Thanks for that tip. I forgot about that little floppy until you mentioned it. I'll load it up and see if that fixes it. I'm sure it will.
Thanks again!

I though this can only be done at install with F6 when it asks you " Have you got any third party RAID or SCSI adapters to install " ? or can this be done afterwards ?

Only reason I ask is because I forgot to do it too :0)

Doh

Back