Abit NF7-S won't boot

postalcop

[H]ard|Gawd
Hopefully someone can help. My computer won't start up. I thought it was the thermaltake ps at first but I tried my Ultra x-connect and it did the same thing. I had shut my computer down and unistalled my 2400xp-m cpu. I did not unplug anything else. I re-installed and pressed the power button. The fans all came on but that was it. I turned it off and tried again but this time nothing came on. I unplugged it for a while and tried again with the same result. I have done this several times now and the last time with the thermaltake ps all the fans came on. I disconnected it and tried my ultra x-connect. All that came on were the fans. When the computer is turned off, there is a light at the bottom of the motherboard that is on constantly, so I know it's getting power. I've had this setup for a year now and have never had a problem like this before. Does anyone have any suggestions? Did my mobo go bad?

help is here. I have the same mobo and this was part of the problem that I came across when I did a small hardware change. If you have not flashed the most current bios to the mobo it may not have those that support the xp-m processors. You can look in the manual and find the way to reset the CMOS, clear it and reseat the battery. This should hopefully give you a default setting that will give you the opportunity to atleast restart in safe-mode. Hope that helps.. I will check again later to see if you still need help

I'm almost positive it's not a bios problem. I've been running this cpu in this motherboard for about a year now. I tried taking the battery out, leaving it out few a minute and putting it back in but it didn't help. I also tied taking the cpu out and putting it back in. That didn't help either. Nothing will come on when I hit the power button. The only thing that is on is a red light at the bottom of the board.

Any Beeping? Also, try a spare video card and or ram (or try changing slots around)

make sure the board isnt rubbing against any of your case metal (to cause a short).

when you take the CMOS battery out there is a small jumper that you have to move to clear the CMOS, otherwise it will just remain the same. Hopefully that will help ya. Otherwise, I hate to say it but you may have a dead board.

Nope, no beeping. It just flat out ain't doing diddly. Yeah, I'm afraid it might be a dead board too. I just dropped it off at a computer shop and I'll see what the verdict is. I would rather it be a bad board than cpu. I've still got my gigabyte board at home. Oh well, I'm just hoping it's nothing serious.

Same thing happend to mine about 2 years ago, I even had one of the BIOS saver chips and that didn't do anything. I had to send it back to Abit (almost out of the 3 year warranty) they sent me another and it has been running fine ever since. I hate to say it but I think your board may be dead. I could never figure out why the fans would work but nothing else. I say if you have any warranty left you should try to send it back.

Well, I got my computer back from the computer shop. They said they tested my system and determined it was the thermalright hsf. I did not question them but how the heck could a hsf cause a computer not to turn on at all? I had a bad feeling when I told the lady that I was using a Thermalright hsf and she rolled her eyes. She basically stated they weren't very good and she figured I fried the cpu. She said she had a copper one she would try because that was better than the aluminum one I had.
So get have a message on the phone yesterday that the computer is ready. I went to pick it up and they had a thermaltake volcano 7 mounted on it and it would cost $17. This time I dealt with a guy and I told him I did not want the volcano as I had another hsf at home I could use. Plus I wanted to go to watercooling soon. He told me I did not want to do that. Watercooling could spring a leak and destroy my system, he said. I just smiled and didn't say anything.
So, I still have no idea why the computer would not turn on. I must have a loose wire in the case or something. It works fine now, even though I have one of those "crappy" thermalright hsf on it.

postalcop said:
Well, I got my computer back from the computer shop. They said they tested my system and determined it was the thermalright hsf. I did not question them but how the heck could a hsf cause a computer not to turn on at all? I had a bad feeling when I told the lady that I was using a Thermalright hsf and she rolled her eyes. She basically stated they weren't very good and she figured I fried the cpu. She said she had a copper one she would try because that was better than the aluminum one I had.
So get have a message on the phone yesterday that the computer is ready. I went to pick it up and they had a thermaltake volcano 7 mounted on it and it would cost $17. This time I dealt with a guy and I told him I did not want the volcano as I had another hsf at home I could use. Plus I wanted to go to watercooling soon. He told me I did not want to do that. Watercooling could spring a leak and destroy my system, he said. I just smiled and didn't say anything.
So, I still have no idea why the computer would not turn on. I must have a loose wire in the case or something. It works fine now, even though I have one of those "crappy" thermalright hsf on it.

lol, those idiotic computer people never get old, lmao. I cant believe I was thinking about working at a place selling a 800FSB AthlonXP 2.9ghz on their site..haha went out of that interview laughing after I passed the POWMAX 500w w/ a 12v @ 13a selling for $50 :p

We need a thread on stories about people like this :cool:

Back