abit NF-m2nView

The hardware monkeys are working on it. Giving them bananas to stay focused is sometimes insufficient.

I was worried Dillusion found some major hardware issues and Abit is telling him not to publish the review until the release a workaround BIOS :)

kenyee said:
I was worried Dillusion found some major hardware issues and Abit is telling him not to publish the review until the release a workaround BIOS :)

No major issues....SFFClub has some serious website issues so we had to get those fixed first. I think the only bios issues found were due to windows XP 64 bit edition.

kenyee said:

I'm actually really fucked up right now, I woke up at my friends house, i dont know how i got there, and i have a hangover the size of africa.

Dillusion said:
I'm actually really fucked up right now, I woke up at my friends house, i dont know how i got there, and i have a hangover the size of africa.

Been there, done that, except when I woke up it was on the side of the 91 freeway in Riverside, CA. Anyway, I'm looking to get this board too, and sell off my Asus M2NPV-VM.

jgreen said:
Been there, done that, except when I woke up it was on the side of the 91 freeway in Riverside, CA. Anyway, I'm looking to get this board too, and sell off my Asus M2NPV-VM.
Oddly enough I'm in need of a M2NPV-VM. ;)

Dillusion said:

LOL. Do you still have both your eyebrows and your wallet? If so, must be decent friends ;-)

This board is like a god. I HAVE this board. Got 3.06ghz 8.5x360 CPU max at 1.59v tryed at 1.7v to go higher, real rateing 1.75v, DDR2 1.2mhz 609fsb 2.25v rated from 2.2v. 5-5-5-13 Timings, 1500HTT 1.25v, no chipset voltages tried yet. It is benchable!!! I just need to get some better venilation into my case. The true Vcore max is 2.15v, and vDMM is 2.6v.

The parts are really high stress able. It was hard to get windows to fail. Each time was at the cpus max btw just 8.5x 1 higher then 360 and it would fail. Nice 4 phase power gives even a low rated powersupply great voltages, the 4phase power regulator on the board makes clean serious power even with a powersupply that is weak. The boards features are nice, I built this for a reason, to have the ultimate media center, that could oc like hell. And it serves both of these things very well. Nice raid, does low powered state great with C&Q programs. Lacks lower then 1.35vcore but has no problem with the settings in C&Q startup programs. Supports 100mhz x multiplier bootup into windows so no problem with the programs that allow it.

Very nice. Also is the features, on a OCing board is just unbelevable. HD audio 8CH great sound ports, 4 3gb sata Raids, 8USB, 2Firewire, Gig lan, good video even tho I use a X1800XT as well just testing the onboard nice for onboard, the board stayed 35C as I OCed it. VTT sensors on the board are nice to have, its hard to make those chips hot, where only 40C at this OC. Chipset doesn't get hot. Good caps, I'm not sure but they maybe japanese. They sure maxed out my cpu at high bus speeds. I couldn't try higher on the memory because of the cpus limit. But since its capable of 2.6v I could never know unless I put a FX-64 or a better OCing chip into this baby. And I am tempted to do so if I ever have the money. The highest bus speed I ever got on the board was 400 on lower x multipliers. My cpus top speed was ruled out as being 3.06ghz every time so I'm sure this board really has no limit.

The board is very stable. All worked perfectly. I'd give it a 5/5. Sure does have everything I wanted out of a board, got a nice tv tuner in it. Made it the perfect media gameing box. It can really support 16gb's of memory according to sandra. Guess we'll have to wait until they start making 4gb memory sticks to know for sure. lol Very bad ass board. This is the new king of OCing. Can't wait to try more. :D

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=132951

Tryed lower timings and lower voltage. Heres that I got.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=132953

Heres another.

CrimandEvil said:
Oddly enough I'm in need of a M2NPV-VM. ;)

If you're interested in the M2NPV-VM, PM me and I'm sure we can work something out. I got the board from the Egg in late July, and still have the box and all of the cables, etc. that came with it.

Thanks, Serge. Great review and pretty impressive 50% overclock on that X2 3800. I'm putting in my order next week and splurging on Kingston DDR2-800 ECC memory to see how well that does :)

kenyee said:
Thanks, Serge. Great review and pretty impressive 50% overclock on that X2 3800. I'm putting in my order next week and splurging on Kingston DDR2-800 ECC memory to see how well that does :)

50% CPU OC, 50% memory OC, 50% Hyper transport OC, 75%+ Multiplier FSB OC. They weren't kidding when they said get a 50% OC on your system. :D

Serge, I was curious as to what RAM you were using on this board. I plan on ordering this board, ram, and a cpu to throw in my nsk2400. I was also wondering if there was any way for me to get s-video out with this board w/o adding a video card. I do not have a TV with anything other than s-video in at the moment. I plan on getting a 37" westie sometime in the future and will get a nice video card at the same time. So i guess what i'm wondering is, does Abit sell an s-video bracket of any sort for this board? TY

infamous gooch said:
any way for me to get s-video out

Look back in the thread. You'll see that I contacted Abit about this and the answer is no.

infamous gooch said:
Serge, I was curious as to what RAM you were using on this board. I plan on ordering this board, ram, and a cpu to throw in my nsk2400. I was also wondering if there was any way for me to get s-video out with this board w/o adding a video card. I do not have a TV with anything other than s-video in at the moment. I plan on getting a 37" westie sometime in the future and will get a nice video card at the same time. So i guess what i'm wondering is, does Abit sell an s-video bracket of any sort for this board? TY

The HZ series PC2 6400 Gskill's. The ones with the black heat seperators. Could get Svideo from a cheap 20 buck tv tuner I guess. Or just buy a converter or gender changer...

Does anyone that has this board have a warm reboot problem? I have to power off the psu to get it post. I doesn't happen every time maybe 4 out of 10 times. weird issue. :rolleyes:

I got one... System:
Microfly case; Thermaltake purepower 500watt
2 x Corsair Twin2x2048-6400C4 (4GB)
3800+ x2 (not 65w version)

Just put it together today, it's on a stock heatsink... Hitting the 60C alarm before prime95 started detecting issues. 236fsb prime95 stable. Only changed ram voltage from 1.8 to 1.9 and cpu from 1.3 to 1.35. Everything else in the bios is stock. Here are some cpuz images...

cpuz1.gif
cpuz2.gif

Not bad for what I consider temp (selling my opty170 rig) till K8L comes out.

-edit-
prime95 stable @ 232fsb stock 1.3volts 58c full load after 15min, so my o/c is going to be 2.3ghz until I do something about my cooling.

Question: Is the onboard DVI DVI-D or is it DVI-I? This is rather important for me.

Can anyone with this board who also has the TForce tell me how much difference in distance the CPU is located inboard? My Artic Cooling 64 Pro is butting up against my power supply as it stands now with my T-Force and it looks like the Abit has the CPU socket mounted even further in from the edge. Thanks.

MassiveOverkill said:
Can anyone with this board who also has the TForce tell me how much difference in distance the CPU is located inboard? My Artic Cooling 64 Pro is butting up against my power supply as it stands now with my T-Force and it looks like the Abit has the CPU socket mounted even further in from the edge. Thanks.

I was looking at that heatsink... specs say 4.9 inches tall, I measured inside my Microfly, it does end up under the power supply, but not under the harddrive support rail. But from processor to powersupply is only 4.5inches :(

I'm most likely going to water cool because can't find an air cooler to do the job, tho thermalright si-97a + am2 bracket MIGHT do the trick... have fully decided.

Steeeeve said:
Which edge? The side which touches the side of the case?

Yes. I was able to get mine to fit on my Biostar by cutting part of the hard drive rail and moving the power supply over a few mm to clear the heat pipes.

Zoogle said:
Where da review at Steeeeve and Dillusion? :)

I was supposed to post it yesterday but I wanted to add a section about the "nView" and Abit sent me a fix to a problem that had so I wanted to look at that. Should be up this afternoon :)

Get the board..it rocks.

Nice review. Definitely going to pick this board up.

Nice review. Definitely going to pick this board up.

Heh, hope you can get it to work! I just picked up one myself and no post whatsoever. Not sure if it's a bad board though, so it might be something else. Good luck!

Steeeeve said:
We got our review up of the board. Did well.

Thanks for that finally. Does look good for my next build. It's close enough to December that I'm going to wait until then for the 65nm Athlon X2's :)

Some quick comments:
- you need to improve the lighting on those pics and get a camera w/ better macro capability ;-)
- it'd be interesting to test out whether it can actually boot off a SATA DVD drive (not all MB's do)
- I'd rather not have the PCI-E slots next to each other...PCI will be phased out eventually
- does it need a floppy disk to do flash upgrades? Or can it use a USB flash drive?

kenyee said:
Thanks for that finally. Does look good for my next build. It's close enough to December that I'm going to wait until then for the 65nm Athlon X2's :)

Some quick comments:
- you need to improve the lighting on those pics and get a camera w/ better macro capability ;-)
- it'd be interesting to test out whether it can actually boot off a SATA DVD drive (not all MB's do)
- I'd rather not have the PCI-E slots next to each other...PCI will be phased out eventually
- does it need a floppy disk to do flash upgrades? Or can it use a USB flash drive?

lol, I got the camera :) Everyone commetns on that....Dillusion get a new one!

all other questions need to be directed to Dillusion...hopefully he can answer them :)

I know BIOS upgrades can be done using their "Flashmenu" which is a handy tool.

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/flashmenu.php

Nice review. Made for some good reading while windows is doing its thing. I look forward to playing around with its features in the next few days.

Steeeeve said:
I know BIOS upgrades can be done using their "Flashmenu" which is a handy tool.

Asus has something similar...they've actually got the "flash from Windows", "flash from BIOS" and "flash from floppy" techniques. However, the past few upgrades on the A8N CSM, they've said to use the floppy technique only (it also lets you do it off a USB drive, but it's not documented very well)...

I just realized you guys gave it a "diamond" rating... That is HILARIOUS. *run out of golds? :)*

those awards don't mean too much...they are just fun.

In the mobo section we got a silver, gold, and diamond

Only neg on this board... CPU V... lowest it can go is 1.35 and mine overvolts a bit on all the voltages... my mem can go to 2.6 heh heh.

Back