Abit KV8 and overclocking SATA woes

Somehow or other through Dabs' poor product labelling I've ended up with a KV8 instead of the KV8 Max3, but it was cheaper and all I thought it was really missing was the 6 sata raid ports. I can live with that. I'm running an Athlon64 3200 in it.

But what's doing my head in at the moment is that since I've swapped my old IDE drives for a pair of RAIDed sata ones, I can no longer push the cpu past 2.2Ghz, I had it running quite happily at 2.3Ghz for the short period I was still using the IDE drives. If I push past the 2.2 it'll either claim I don't have any drives or that they've died on me. Most distressing :(.

I haven't as yet dabbled with the voltage settings because quite frankly I don't know what I'm doing with them, or if it would solve the problem. I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any light on this for me?

Luke

Lack of an AGP/PCI lock will destroy your RAID / SATA drives that's for sure. If you OC past 220mhz I wouldn't count on your data being there the next morning.

What's amazing to me though is how you managed 2.3ghz on your IDE hard drive for so long without having any data corruption.

FreekyEeekz said:
Guessing I need to go motherboard shopping then... :rolleyes:

I can't say for sure if this does or will fix your pci/agp lock woes, but I think there might be a new bios update that fixes the lock or there will be one that fixes it. I read about it a couple weeks ago and am unsure of the status of the update.

Back