Abit KG7-RAID northbridge

FrothyByte

[H]ard|Gawd
A while back when the kg7 boards were new, I had heard of there being a problem with either the northbridge chipsets being concave or the stock heatsink being concave. I can't remember which it was.

I recently had my northbridge fan start making some noise so I just took the whole thing off because I had never checked on my board if it was concave or not.

Well as it turns out it looks as though one of them is becase of the way the tiny spot of thermal paste was smashed out.

For those of you that have dealt with this board and problem, what are your thoughts/experiences?

Secondly, how did you fix this problem? Did you get an aftermarket heatsink or did you lap the stock heatsink? Or what?

hmmm.. it's been a while since i took the northbridge hsf off..
but when i first got the mobos (actually dealt with two since i rma'd my first one) i took the northbridge hsf off and put a nice coating of artic silver on there. I don't remember seeing anything weird with the way the thermal paste was smushed in either case.. but it's been a while

I took it off, when I first got mine, KG7 and Kg7 Raid.. I just cleaned off what ABIT put on and then put on some ARTIC SILVER 3 and then reinstalled the HSF onto the NORTHBRIDGE.. I didn't notice anything strange about the HSF.

Back