ABIT IP35-PRO with 8gb of memory.

requiem99

Supreme [H]ardness
Short and sweet:

When I first built this rig with the IP35-PRO I attempted 4x1gb sticks of memory that was on the compatibility list, but had huge problems, BSODs, lockups, etc. Turns out the problem was a known compatibility issue with 4 sticks of double sided memory. I moved to 2x2gb = problem solved.

2 years later: I want to upgrade to 8gb, and of course, I've got a problem. 2x4gb = very expensive, and I'm not even sure this would be supported by the board. I'd like to run 4x2gb if possible, anyone have any information on the possibility of this or know anyone that does it and with what memory? I can't find much on google and ABIT's site barely works anymore (and is not updated due to company leaving motherboard business).

Thanks!

Running this board currently. Initally ran 2 x 2gb Geil Evo One. Added 2 more sticks a year ago for a total of 8gb. The second set had slightly different timings than the first set which caused an ocasional error. Ended up putting one stick from each set into the same channel which cured the problem. They are also overclocked to 1008 stable all the way. I would think that any decent memory would work just try to match it (brand/timings) the best you can.

I just upgraded to 8GB today on my IP-35 pro. I had some OCZ with massive heat sinks in there and low timings combined with higher voltages. I put some G.Skill in there with 1.8v and higher timings. So far I only had about half an hour to play with my system, but everything seemed solid. I think though that I am going to end up getting rid of the OCZ and buy another set of G.Skill so that I can have perfectly matched ram. i don't want to deal with any uncertaintys.

You should buy my OCZ Reaper X :) Seriously. Let me know if you want it. It's AWESOME BRO!

OCZ is on my blacklist, won't touch it. Thanks though.

PS: The IP35-PRO has a known issue with double sided memory. I can't even find the KB article I read when I initially diagnosed the problem years ago, so it's going to be hard to buy around it. I may buy 1 stick and run 6gb in single channel, not much difference in performance between single and dual anyway.

PS: The IP35-PRO has a known issue with double sided memory. I can't even find the KB article I read when I initially diagnosed the problem years ago, so it's going to be hard to buy around it. I may buy 1 stick and run 6gb in single channel, not much difference in performance between single and dual anyway.

Actually, all Intel dual-channel DDR memory controllers run in a "Flex" memory mode whenever the two channels are of unequal memory sizes. This means that if you have installed three 2GB sticks, 4GB of that memory will run in dual-channel and the remaining 2GB will run in single-channel. This is because the Intel MCH's map dual-channel based on the size of the lesser-sized memory controller channel, and doubles that for use in dual-channel while any remaining RAM is run in single-channel.

Actually, all Intel dual-channel DDR memory controllers run in a "Flex" memory mode whenever the two channels are of unequal memory sizes. This means that if you have installed three 2GB sticks, 4GB of that memory will run in dual-channel and the remaining 2GB will run in single-channel. This is because the Intel MCH's map dual-channel based on the size of the lesser-sized memory controller channel, and doubles that for use in dual-channel while any remaining RAM is run in single-channel.

Thank you, I didn't know this.

not sure what type of ram it is, but 2X2gb and 2X1gb corsair dominator 1066 on my board with no issues. I'm running at just over 1000MHz on the ram @ 2.0V (rated 2.1 @1066) with zero stability issues. This has been on my original bios (v10?) and the last non-beta bios (17 I think?).

I already had that before. 4x2gb sticks of the same ram I am running now, but only 4gb, because it BSOD constantly with 4 sticks of double-sided (this is the KB issue was talking about). Short of running 6gb in 3x2 or 4gb in 4x2 I'm not sure I have any other upgrade options at this point.

For closure to this and for anyone reading in the future who has the same problem, my solution was simply to buy 4 more gb of the stuff already in my PC and see what happened, being prepared to return to 3x2 = 6gb if necessary.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211188

8gb of memory with 2 of those kits works on ABIT IP35-PRO motherboard, Win7 x64 verified stable now for 3-4 weeks. They probably weren't even the exact same two kits because I purchased them 2 years apart, but same specification at least. 4gb via 4x1gb kits of the same brand (and GSKILL as well) caused BSODs due to double-sided problem. Guess I got lucky with these. New life to my aging board!

Mushkin DDR2-800 (4x 2GB) sticks also work fine on this mobo, although slightly more voltage ~(1.9V) than I would normally care for, to achieve Memtest+/Prime 24-hour stable.

Last edited:
Back