Abit IP35 Pro first boot issues

Hi everyone,

In short, I switched my system over to an Abit IP35 Pro this week (old mobo was a Gigabyte P965-DQ6 which became stuck in an endless reboot cycle) and I tried to turn it on the first time yesterday with no success. Everything turns on, the video card fan spins, CPU fan spins, drives spin up, but the monitor receives no signal and remains in standby, and the LED display on the motherboard reads "C1."

I searched a while on Google last night about my issue. The manual says C1 is 'memory presence detect', but after hitting up the Abit forums I saw that C1 could mean a few things, mainly something wrong with the video card or memory issues.

I reseated the video card, even tried the x4 PCI-express slot, and used two different monitors, and still nothing, I still get the C1 error but no video signal.

So I figure maybe it is my RAM that is causing the C1 problems, and I vaguely recall something saying that the IP35 Pro will not display video until POST is successful, so if my memory is causing the problem, that could explain my issue. However, I only have 2 sticks of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-800 (the ones with Micron D9s) that are supposed to be run at 2.1V, but I could take some RAM from work to test the machine. The only thing is, however, that the RAM I have at work is DDR2-533, and I don't know if the P35 chipset can actually run that since official statements say it only supports 667 and 800. Plus, I always see people running Firestix or ballistix or other high voltage RAM with their IP35s, so I don't know if memory voltage would be the real issue.

I also took the motherboard out of the case, set it up on its box, and tried booting with just one stick of RAM (tried every slot with both), the video card, and the CPU. Again, everything turns on, but still getting the "C1" error.

When I get home I will try setting it up on my spare motherboard (some Intel P965) just to see if the video card and RAM are still working or not, but in the meantime, has anyone seen the video issue?

System specs:

Intel E6300
2 x 1 GB Buffalo Firestix PC6400
Abit IP35 Pro
eVGA 8800GTS 320 MB
Corsair HX520 Power Supply

All the parts worked when I was running them in the Gigabyte board two weeks ago, and have been sitting around in their packaging between then and when I started building with the IP35 Pro.

Any info/thoughts would be great. After these two weeks of issues I think I may just give up on having a desktop and just use my notebook exclusively.

Thanks in advance!

Just a shot in the dark, and you've already admitted that you've seen other people's Pro's work fine with higher volted RAM, but the first thing that comes to mind for me is somehow finding some ddr2 667 or 800 Ram with lower compatability/running voltages and see if that's the case.

P35 chipset doesn't support DDR2-533 so that won't work.

ClearCMOS & try using 1 DIMM only.
If you can get into the BIOS set the DRAM voltage according to what the manufacturer recommends (2.1V?) as opposed to the JEDEC 1.8V.

What Buff said. That's the last thing I know of to try short of testing it with some different memory.

What Buff said. That's the last thing I know of to try short of testing it with some different memory.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at. Kind of an ass-backwards work around but I'm not sure how else he can raise the voltage to the specs.

Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

The problem I have is actually getting DDR2 667/800 without buying another set, since every one of my friends is still stuck in the RDRAM era (seriously).

I have tried the one DIMM in one slot thing and reset the CMOS every time, was getting nothing in any slot.

I will scour the machines I control at work. Hopefully, with 16 GB of RAM at my disposal, one stick is at least 667. Here's to hoping. Until I can actually get the machine to POST, won't be getting into BIOS. Hopefully, POSTing will also give me a video signal. :confused:

Mine did this too. I thought I had killed my ram. I just kept trying, at one point i left it on for about 30 minutes at that position, moved all the DIMMs around multiple times, etc. Eventually it just worked. Other than that not much I can provide.

I was having the C1 error too. Try reseating the CPU and heatsink. This was mentioned on some European OC Forum (can’t remember which one ATM) while I was scouring the net for an answer. They were saying that over-tightening the Heatsink caused the error for them. I eventually just took everything out of the case, reset the BIOS by removing the battery for about 10 minutes and setting up the board on the box with just 1 stick of mem, CPU and video card. I also set the memory timings manually. I never could get my raptor to work either but I never tried AHCI or RAID mode just IDE. Everything is working great on mine now.

Hello ...I just read yesterday there is a beta Bios for this board that is on their wesbite ...but, it's a little hard to find.

However ...it does fix the problem ...hope this helps you.;)

I was having the C1 error too. Try reseating the CPU and heatsink. This was mentioned on some European OC Forum (can’t remember which one ATM) while I was scouring the net for an answer. They were saying that over-tightening the Heatsink caused the error for them. I eventually just took everything out of the case, reset the BIOS by removing the battery for about 10 minutes and setting up the board on the box with just 1 stick of mem, CPU and video card. I also set the memory timings manually. I never could get my raptor to work either but I never tried AHCI or RAID mode just IDE. Everything is working great on mine now.

I read that post too, I think it was on the hexus.net form. I did reseat my CPU and heatsink last night, but I could always try again. I use the stock HSF, and when pushing in the 4th tab, I push until I hear the loud click. Is that too tight? I always learned that was the way it should be with LGA775 push pin HSFs.

Hello ...I just read yesterday there is a beta Bios for this board that is on their wesbite ...but, it's a little hard to find.

However ...it does fix the problem ...hope this helps you.;)

Yeah, all the beta BIOS I see on the forums are great and all...except without a video signal to the monitor, I could not get to a point where I could flash the BIOS. :(

Interesting sidenote: during lunch, I was browsing Crucial's site and used their memory selector, to choose the Abit IP35 Pro. For some reason, they list PC4200 RAM as being compatible. Funky.

All my RAM is DDR2-533 at work, so I think I will just have to give it a try, since at this point, I think I will end up having to buy additional RAM. That's okay though, I did want 4 GB in my machine for work.

Well, I tried the DDR2-533 I had, and of course, didn't work. I did verify that the Firestix and my video card are still working, at least. They work with the Intel DG965WH I had lying around. I have also tried powering it on without the CPU fan connected, reseated the CPU a couple times, even loosened the HSF from the motherboard, all unsuccessful.

Guess it is time to look for some additional RAM.

Thanks though, everyone.

I'll post a final update - my system boots now.

I ordered 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix over the weekend, and threw in a $10 256 MB DDR2-667 Crucial stick. The 256 MB DIMM booted my system properly and I changed the RAM voltage, and everything works great now.

I'm having the c1 error now to on my new build. how did you fix it?

I have Firestix and they WON'T boot at all at anything less than 2.1 volt. Most boards only supply 1.8 volts at stock settings, so I need to use my Patriot sticks to set the voltage before I can add the Firestix. It's a royal pain in the ass, but I'm guessing that's your problem.

I have Firestix and they WON'T boot at all at anything less than 2.1 volt. Most boards only supply 1.8 volts at stock settings, so I need to use my Patriot sticks to set the voltage before I can add the Firestix. It's a royal pain in the ass, but I'm guessing that's your problem.

Yea that might be it, alot of other people on different forums think i ordered the wrong socket processor.

What i'm confused about is that my receipt says i ordered a E3110 socket 771, but the label on the cpu box says LGA775, Also would a 771 fit in a 775? if not i must have a 775 right?

afaik the E3110 is 775 - I don't think that there is a 771 version.

It helps others to help you if they know exactly what you are dealing with.
Please supply a full system specification incl. make & models.

Initial thoughts are that it could be RAM related (e.g. too low voltage) or the board has an older BIOS that doesn't support the 45nm CPUs.

afaik the E3110 is 775 - I don't think that there is a 771 version.

It helps others to help you if they know exactly what you are dealing with.
Please supply a full system specification incl. make & models.

Initial thoughts are that it could be RAM related (e.g. too low voltage) or the board has an older BIOS that doesn't support the 45nm CPUs.

Assuming all E3110s are 775, which seems to be the case.

Is it possible to flash the bios without the system posting?

Or should i try and find some slow ram?

do everyone a favour & please post your specs.
have you tried with only 1 DIMM installed?

Back