Abit IP35-E won't work in Dual Channel

Comte

Gawd
I just upgraded to PCI-e. I got a Abit IP35-E motherboard, with Crucial Ballistic memory. Its all listed in my signature.

If I put the memory in singly, they work fine. If I put them on different channels, they work fine. If I put them both on one channel (dual channel mode) I get a long beep on post over and over, nothing comes up on the screen. I have cleared CMOS and uppped the DDR2 memory voltage to 2.2v (actually 2.3 because at 2.2 I only get 2.17v) and that makes no difference. Everything is still stock until I get this worked out.

Anyone got any ideas?

Oh, yeah, I updated the BIOS to the latest one on the Abit website....

no idea but you shouldn't need to increase the voltage, not a good idea

If I put them on different channels, they work fine. If I put them both on one channel (dual channel mode) I get a long beep on post over and over, nothing comes up on the screen.
mmm, dual channel means having them on separate channels ...
having them both on 1 channel is (not surprisingly) single channel access ..

mmm, dual channel means having them on separate channels ...
having them both on 1 channel is (not surprisingly) single channel access ..

I believe I was quite clear when I said I tried them singly, on different channels, and they worked fine, but when I tried them in dual channel mode they didnt work and gave the long beep on post attempt....

And, no, your definition is wrong..If I have them both on the blue, or both on the black, then they are in dual channel mode. If I have them on on the blue and one on the black then its single channel mode..

I believe I was quite clear when I said I tried them singly, on different channels, and they worked fine, but when I tried them in dual channel mode they didnt work and gave the long beep on post attempt....
. If I put them both on one channel (dual channel mode) I get a long beep on post over and over, nothing comes up on the screen....
can't possibly be on 1 channel & be in dual channel

And, no, your definition is wrong..If I have them both on the blue, or both on the black, then they are in dual channel mode. If I have them on on the blue and one on the black then its single channel mode..

No, my definition is right.
The slots are colour coded so that the same colour slots are actually on different channels.
The clue is in the wording "dual channel" - can't have dual channel without 2 channels ...

can't possibly be on 1 channel & be in dual channel

No, my definition is right.
The slots are colour coded so that the same colour slots are actually on different channels.
The clue is in the wording "dual channel" - can't have dual channel without 2 channels ...

Either way, if they are in the same color slots, they wont post and give a long repeating beep on post attempt. If they are in different color slots, they will boot up fine. So, got any ideas on the stated problems?

[I just upgraded to PCI-e. I got a Abit IP35-E motherboard, with Crucial Ballistic memory. Its all listed in my signature.

If I put the memory in singly, they work fine. If I put them on different channels, they work fine. If I put them both on one channel (dual channel mode) I get a long beep on post over and over, nothing comes up on the screen. I have cleared CMOS and uppped the DDR2 memory voltage to 2.2v (actually 2.3 because at 2.2 I only get 2.17v) and that makes no difference. Everything is still stock until I get this worked out.

Anyone got any ideas?

Oh, yeah, I updated the BIOS to the latest one on the Abit website/QUOTE]

Let's go over what you did so far:
1. Used Crucial Memory( no funny or exotic brands)

2. Moved the memory around to see what works.

3. Updated bios

4. Upped voltage

What the issue may be in:

1. Motherboard fault ?- This part to me, has the highest fault probability. The board is supposed to work in dual channel mode. I would consider RMA'ing the board since you have done everything to the board you can.

2. Memory fault ?- This is only possible if the type of Crucial memory you are using is not compatible in dual memory mode. Kind of possible so please check your memory compatibility list in your manual or call tech support to find out for sure.

3. Power fault ?- If you had other issues such as reboots, freezes or stutters while using
intense programs, I could see this as the culprit. But since you don't have these symptoms, I do not favor you power supply as the fault.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

[I just upgraded to PCI-e. I got a Abit IP35-E motherboard, with Crucial Ballistic memory. Its all listed in my signature.

Anyone got any ideas?

Oh, yeah, I updated the BIOS to the latest one on the Abit website/QUOTE]

Let's go over what you did so far:
1. Used Crucial Memory( no funny or exotic brands)

2. Moved the memory around to see what works.

3. Updated bios

4. Upped voltage

What the issue may be in:

1. Motherboard fault ?- This part to me, has the highest fault probability. The board is supposed to work in dual channel mode. I would consider RMA'ing the board since you have done everything to the board you can.

2. Memory fault ?- This is only possible if the type of Crucial memory you are using is not compatible in dual memory mode. Kind of possible so please check your memory compatibility list in your manual or call tech support to find out for sure.

3. Power fault ?- If you had other issues such as reboots, freezes or stutters while using
intense programs, I could see this as the culprit. But since you don't have these symptoms, I do not favor you power supply as the fault.

Hope this helps. Have a nice day.

1. Motherboard is a possiblity. I hope not, but it is possible.

2. It is a dual channel kit, but it may have a problem with this motherboard. I got a different set coming right now to see if thats the problem.

3. This powersupply is brand new, but with any mass produced item it could be the problem. When the memory is in singly or one blue and one black socket, its solid as a rock. No reboots, freezes, or stutters.

Thanks for the help, if the other memory doesnt fix it, I guess I will try to RMA the board....

2. It is a dual channel kit, but it may have a problem with this motherboard. I got a different set coming right now to see if thats the problem.

1. I would like to point out that even if the memory is rated as a dual memory pack, sometimes boards will not accept a certain brand of memory or have limited function. I had a simular issue with a Mushkin dual memory kit for my Asus P5E board. It would not boot until I went to Crucial memory. Mushkin was simply not compatible with the Asus P5E even though it worked fine in several other boards, including an Asus P5B deluxe board.
I would still at least check the manual for memory compatibilty if you have not done so yet.

2. I think memory manufacturers put too much emphasis on the "dual channel kit". Based on what I have seen, as long as you get the same manufacturer with identical sticks in the same memory "channel" slots, you will get dual memory mode. Memory manufacturers charge a premium for dual channel kits. Just a little rant.:)

I found the problem. I had a sliver of metal stuck right behind the Dimm slots between the tray and the MB. When I put in a dimm in slot 3 or 4, it caused a short. I had already removed, boxed up, and taken the MB to the UPS place when I found it. I went back there, retrieved my package, and put it back in the case and it works perfectly...

it was tiny, so I know how I missed it, but it was nothing more than a fluke that it happened and that I saw it...If I hadnt removed the MB to RMA it, I never would have found it....

Thanks for the help...

I found the problem. I had a sliver of metal stuck right behind the Dimm slots between the tray and the MB. When I put in a dimm in slot 3 or 4, it caused a short. I had already removed, boxed up, and taken the MB to the UPS place when I found it. I went back there, retrieved my package, and put it back in the case and it works perfectly...

it was tiny, so I know how I missed it, but it was nothing more than a fluke that it happened and that I saw it...If I hadnt removed the MB to RMA it, I never would have found it....

Thanks for the help...

Wow a sliver of metal, who would've thought? Definately something to put in the books. :)

No, I took it to UPS at staples, then went back home and found the metal sliver sticking out from the MB tray. Then I went back to staples, picked up my package, (it hadnt left yet) and went home and reinstalled it. Now it works perfectly.

I have the same problem with an IP35 board and 2x1GB crutial ballistix memory.

The problem comes from the lastest bios v 14. Bios v 12 doesn't have this problem.

I've found with some of the IP35-Es and the Crucial Ballistix that some of the mobos will boot with it although the RAM requires 2.1 and some do not. My latest IP35-E required me to insert some cheaper RAM in order to boot it at the default 1.8 volts. Jump into the BIOS, up the voltage for RAM up to 2.1, shut down, insert the Ballistix and worked fine again.

according to his posts on the abit forums zorxd found out that his RAM wasn't fully inserted ...

Back