Abit IP35-E BIOS Update - HELP!!!!!

Krazykaveman

Weaksauce
So I downloaded the Flash Update utility for the Abit IP35-E, closed all other applications, then opened the Flash Utility. They had a few buttons like update from file, step by step update, or one click update. I figured less things could go possibly wrong if I did One Click Update. Well everything was going good until programming the main block, the progress bar hit 95%. Ever since then my system has hanged up, the mouse will not respond no keyboard input, and the Hard Drive activity light on my Antec 900 will not shut off. I let it run all night and I'm afraid that the hard drive will burn out.

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN RESCUE MY SYSTEM? or do I just say good night and hit the power button?

Thanks in advance

The 1-click is probably the worst option that you could have chosen ... :(
hopefully you didn't try to flash with an overclock.

It sounds like you have a bad flash so you may as well switch off.
clearCMOS & try to boot - if you are lucky it will be OK, if you are slightly less lucky you may get the bootblock message as per http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html or you may be plain out of luck.
If it is toast contact abit tech support for a new, pre-flashed BIOS chip - if you are lucky you may get it free otherwise it is something like $6 plus shipping.
You can also get preflashed BIOS chips from other vendors.

Thanks for your help.

Well my MB is toast so guess I'll see if Abit will send me the bios chip.

Yes my CPU was overclocked 27% when I flashed. I'm still a n00b but I knew I'd have to try updating my BIOS one day.

Is my system like totally fried or something since I overclocked or what?

So for future reference, when flashing a bios:
Reset all parts to their stock settings
Don't use the one click update (use DOS Diskette instead?)

no, your mobo should be fine but the BIOS is hosed.

For future reference:

never flash with an overclock

Flashing via DOS (from floppy, USB memory stick etc.) is recommended.

if you must use Flash Menu download the BIOS file locally & use update from file.
Some people also recommend to uncheck the "flash bootblock" option in FlashMenu so that should you have a problem you may be able to recover per my earlier link.

Thanks for the help guys, you rock!

I emailed Abit Tech support and told them what happened but they haven't replied yet. So anyways, just in case things don't work out with Abit I've been trying to decide on which motherboard to go with next. Maybe DFI Blood Iron or Lanparty P35-T2RS?

Now when I turn on my computer it just randomly shuts off and on like things have gone haywire. LOL

no, your mobo should be fine but the BIOS is hosed.

For future reference:

never flash with an overclock

Flashing via DOS (from floppy, USB memory stick etc.) is recommended.

if you must use Flash Menu download the BIOS file locally & use update from file.
Some people also recommend to uncheck the "flash bootblock" option in FlashMenu so that should you have a problem you may be able to recover per my earlier link.

Not exactly true. You can flash a BIOS with a proven overclock. I just flashed my BIOS on my Abit IP35-E with a 33% overclock, using Abits Windows updater one click method. (3.2Ghz) I'd prime 95 verified my O/C.

Worked like a champ.

Not exactly true. You can flash a BIOS with aproven overclock.
as a rule of thumb it's better not to, especially as flashing the BIOS properly (which includes a clearCMOS) is going to reset it anyway.

I feel your pain...a similar thing happened to me. I can't say anything about the B.I board, but the P35 T2RS is a solid board.

I flash my BIOS via bootable USB memory stick. I have used the Abit flash program in Windows, but I chose to update via file. It went fine. I feel more comfortable with the USB method of course. I have also flashed while overclocked, but I know my overclock is 24 hours stable. It's only a 6 dollar replacement bios chip if something goes wrong. Of course the time your system is down kind of sucks.

I feel your pain. I flashed my IP35 Pro after installing my E8400 (stock) today, and it froze at 1%.

Worse yet, those jerks at Abit won't pick up the phone, and their BIOS chip store is down!

BIOSMAN will fix ya up.

Luckily I still have BootBlock, but I have to go out and pick up a floppy drive.

I finally got through to one of Abit's 15 numbers, and they want a personal check for the BIOS chip, and will send it once the check has cleared. Good to see we're still in the 1800's.

Is always the hotflash ;) ive only done it once and it was probably one of the scariest hardware things ive done. Course now that ive done it once it doesn't seem that scary. Anywho, it involves using a different or same motherboard that uses the same bios chip design. You pop its bios chip out, lay some fishing line or dental floss behind it where it wont get in the way of the contacts, put it back in. Boot the board, get to where you would flash bios, then pop the chip out, put ur fubared one in, then flash to the bios the borked chip needs by doing a forced bios flash (it will say, that bios isnt for this board! you have to run the force parameter). Like I said, scary! and requires you to have another board with the same bios chip design. I flashed an MSI NF3 amd boards chip by using an Abit IS7 intel board as the flasher ;)

Blast! Bootblock doesn't recognize my boot disk as a system disk.

I can't wait for Abit to clear my check, I'm going to have to order another IP35 Pro and swap out the BIOS. $120 mistake.

Curious why you did not flash the bios with the old CPU in place?

I only flashed it because of the temperature problems, which I didn't anticipate. It was also a pain to install the Ultra 120, and I didn't want to have to do that again. Little did I know...

I was using 5+ year old FDDs yesterday. Just picked up a new one from Microcenter, and Bootblock worked like a charm!

I almost killed my BIOS using the winflash utility. Vista x64 conked out after the first few percent was written. Lucky for me the bootblock was still in place and I was able to revive it with a DOS bootdisk.

Jimmy, did you try making a driverless BIOS boot disk from bootdisk.com? I believe I used that to get things working again.

EDIT: Even if that doesn't work, it wouldn't be wise to buy a whole new board. That BIOSMAN site posted earlier is where I got the BIOS to fix my ABIT NF7-S board back in the day when I accidentally flashed the wrong bios to my board and was dead in the water.

Back