ABIT IC7 MAX3 - amazing OC with new BIOS!

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share this. If it's old news, please excuse it, I didn't bother searching the thread.

I have been struggling to get a nice stable OC on my board since I bought it in early 2004. Best I could get was FSB = 220-225 for an OC of about 3150 MHz, roundabout. I've been at this setting on my 2.8 p4 D stepping for a couple of months now.

Last week I downloaded the lastest V18 BIOS from ABIT. Last night I got that old familiar feeling to tweak my OC. Now I've been running at FSB = 220 (It's summer now and the ambient is about 30C here...) I played around and thought lets just (once again) push our luck and try FSB = 228. Surprise, surprise - the pc booted and I ran the normal tests for a couple of hours, no problem!

To keep a long story short, I ended up getting a stable boot at FSB=245 with absolutely no changes to any settings except the BIOS! :D The PC passed the stability tests running at 3430MHz. I haven't had the time to tweak it some more, but I'm sure I can get it stable at FSB=250 for 3500MHz.

It would seem that the new BIOS is the secret here, as I haven't touched anything else.

Hope this helps some of you guys sitting in the same position.

hmmm..interesting..most people have had no problem with the IC7-Max3, nothing related to the BIOS...it was always another piece of hardware. Guess you got a weird on there :p ;)

Yeah - it is strange. I update my BIOS whenever I find a new one. I started off with BIOS v14, I think, then V15 and I had V16 before I tried V18.

I always had this suspicion my OC was held back due to my PSU, as I had serious fluctuations on Vcore in the past. That has now also disappeared according to my monitoring apps. Does the BIOS influence the regulation of the power circuitry of the CPU? I haven't changed anything since last time, but now the OC is good. Don't know how, but it works.

Nice surprise to get when not expecting anything. ;)

The max 3 is a beautiful mobo..but its V drop problems cant be solved with a bios..many top ocing max 3's under go a lot of mods and in the end its worth it..ya got lucky and it payed off big time :) Congrads on the higher oc..i jjst wish my mobo would stop acting gay and let me get past 1.6v :(

Back