abit boards

drew

n00b
is it true that some of the new lower-end abit motherboards are made by ECS?

if so, which ones? (so i can avoid them like the plague)

this is kindof disheartening about abit as a company if it is true. a real 180 from the enthusiast-only company that they are known to be....but then again if they are only doing it for their cheap mobos then i guess its no big deal.

Sigh. Here we go again.

As read in several different interviews when this first started, the following is occuring:

ALL motherboards in an ABIT branded box (that you see on the shelves of a computer shop) are MADE BY ABIT.

The board production getting outsauced is for the OEM market, so if you're HP, and you're ordering 10 million boards from abit, ou will liklely not get them in an abit branded box, and the would have been manufactured by ecs.

The otherthing w/ ECS, is that if you give them a good design and specs, they can build a good mobo, they just choose not to w/ their own boards. If you like shuttle boards, you should know they are ecs manufactured.

sorry i did not mean to rehash old news....but thanks for the information.

i am glad this is the case with abit :D

i know shuttle used to be great, but i had one before my current abit board and it was a total POS. i RMA'd 3 shuttle AK32L's within a 6 month period. i guess it was a rebadged ECS.

does ECS make mobos for anyone else?

I despise Shuttle brand boards. When I worked computer retail, we sold almost exclusively Shuttle for awhile. We would purchase about 500 - 600 a month. We had so many system failures and mainboard failures, we stopped carrying them completely! Being a reseller of shuttle brand boards and buying directly from Shuttle, one would expect decent support and treatment, but the opposite was true! Horrible support and service!

Burn in hell Shuttle!

Originally posted by douglas25
I despise Shuttle brand boards. When I worked computer retail, we sold almost exclusively Shuttle for awhile. We would purchase about 500 - 600 a month. We had so many system failures and mainboard failures, we stopped carrying them completely! Being a reseller of shuttle brand boards and buying directly from Shuttle, one would expect decent support and treatment, but the opposite was true! Horrible support and service!

Burn in hell Shuttle!

I'm in retail now, and I have the opposite experience w/ the Shuttle product- we move about the same amount through distys in shuttle product, and have never had a failure of any of their products- and this is over 2 years.

I don't expect service from any boardmaker to be great- have you tried calling or emailing Asus lately? I'm still waiting on a tech support email that I sent a year ago.

As for who else ECS produces for, I don''t know off the top of my head, but many of the tier 2 board makers may outsauce to them.... additional research is required.

Back