Abit AX8 Raid problem

Eagle106

Limp Gawd
I just bought a new Abit AX8 motherboard with two Hitachi 160GB hard drives. I hit tab after the bios screen and I set up the RAID 0 array. Then I hit F6 during the windows setup when it says "do you want to install a 3rd party raid drivers". I hit S and then install the via raid driver from the floppy. I then hit enter and windows continues loading. Then it stops and says that the file "viaraid.sys" file could not be found and aborts the install. This is the same file that it says that it loaded earlier on. Can any of you help me with setting up this raid array? Am I doing something wrong or forgetting something? Thanks.

If you know the directory could you just manually copy the file into the right location?

If I remember correctly you have to install three seperate parts of the driver durning setup. I believe they are labeled step 1, step 2, step 3. You install one then hit the additional drivers option instead of continue.

I might be wrong as I build many systems on Abit boards and I could be talking about the NF4 boards but I am 99% sure it was for the VIA ones. Hope this helps. Also leave the floppy in until restart as Windows install will access it again durning file copying to install the RAID drivers onto the OS partition. (The first time you are installing the drivers into a RAM drive so that the HD can be accessed.)

You are right. The Via driver does have the step 1,2,3 thing, but when i click on step 1 and two it says that an error occured at line whatever. So i guess i got a bad floppy. I'm trying to get drivers to make a new floppy. Do i have to formatt it in any special way?

It turned out that the viabus, viaport, and via.dll files are bad on my original floppy. Does anyone know where I can download the files that are on the floppy that comes with the motherboard?

It's working for now. I used the drives from via instead and made my own floppy. They should figure out another way of installing raid drivers, not everybody has floppy drives anymore and evidently the floppys can be bad even before you use them.

Eagle106 said:
It's working for now. I used the drives from via instead and made my own floppy. They should figure out another way of installing raid drivers, not everybody has floppy drives anymore and evidently the floppys can be bad even before you use them.

I have had a floppy give me the error you decribed then work fine after removing it and re-inserting it. BTW Vista is supposed to have support for installing raid drivers from CD and other devices. Hopefully this feature will make the final cut as it is needed badly.

ok i had this problem my solution is turn on the computer with out the floppy in the drive and put it in when it prompts u to hope this goes well hit us back

Back