ABIT AV8 Problems...

I guarantee that if you are still having reboot problems that it is your PSU. Antec (and other) PSUs that don't have at least 30Amps on the +12V rail will not work on the AV8. I had an Antec True550 that only had 24A on the rail and had the worst time getting it to boot properly. I RMA'd the PSU to Antec (they know the problem is theirs and are real nice) and got a new True550 that has 30A on the 12V rail and I've never had a problem since. I'd also get a bunch of odd post codes, but once I got the new PSU, everything cleared up.

A64 3500+
Abit AV8
PDP Patriot 1GB (512MBx2) PC3200
Antec True550 (30A on +12V)
Audigy2
ATI x800xt PE
DVD Burner, 120GB WD SE, floppy, etc.

hi, i have been having trouble with my av8 also. i am pretty nub at this stuff but my computer doesn't seem to be running properly. from looking at the windows task manager, it seems my CPU usage goes really high for little things like opening a IE browser or even "my computer" at times. even if all i have open is AIM or something. i don't if its the motherboard, but any info would be much appreciated!!
i've also noticed that the comp slowed down dramatically after playing CS:S for a while
system info:
av8
amd 64 3000+ 939
Kingston 512x2 pc4000 KHX4000/512R
maxtor 60gb sata
ati 9800 pro
antec 430 watt true power

please let me know if more info is needed

oh and sometimes if i click and drag a window, my cpu usage goes all the way to 100%

howl ong have you had it? i strongly advise if its within 30 days and you got it from new egg, talk to them, they are reasonable people, get a A8V

I did purchase the av8 from newegg, but its been more than 1 month already =(

From the symptoms i described, do you guys even think its a problem with the mobo? or maybe something else is faulty?

Eternal_D said:
hi, i have been having trouble with my av8 also. i am pretty nub at this stuff but my computer doesn't seem to be running properly. from looking at the windows task manager, it seems my CPU usage goes really high for little things like opening a IE browser or even "my computer" at times. even if all i have open is AIM or something. i don't if its the motherboard, but any info would be much appreciated!!
i've also noticed that the comp slowed down dramatically after playing CS:S for a while
system info:
av8
amd 64 3000+ 939
Kingston 512x2 pc4000 KHX4000/512R
maxtor 60gb sata
ati 9800 pro
antec 430 watt true power

please let me know if more info is needed

oh and sometimes if i click and drag a window, my cpu usage goes all the way to 100%

When is the last time you did any maintanece on your system. Things like clean disk or defragmentation. Do you have any spyware removal tools. what do you use for antivirus software. Its very possible that your problem is not a hardware issue but is software spuware viral or potentially just in por shape due to lack aof maintanece. Your problems could be a program running in the backround and causing the usages spikes. I would HIGHly recomend doing these thisngs first. run disc clean then run atleast 2 if not more spyware removal programs (mine are Addaware/Spybot/Webbroot) I have found that running 1 will not get all the issues that there are and multiples will remove most if not all. Then run defragmentation program. I prefer Disk Keeper pro 8. then try to see how the system does. If still persist I would check to see if you have any apps running in backround as well as check for any trojan or virus issues. If all else reload. But doesnt sound like hardware issue.

i use ad-aware and defrag my computer regularly.

trying out what you recommended, i used diskeeper 9.0 and spybot along with ad-aware
but my computer still seems to lag
sorry, i'm nub at comps =(

Back