Abit AV8 doesn't feel like working.

I bought an Abit AV8 from a friend who assured me that it was in working order and it would be fine for me. Now I had it and got my 3200+ Venice core and installed everything and used my 1gb of corsair low latency and my 6800gt and my 2 HDDs (wd raptor and 80gb SE) i had (sold the abit nf7-s and 2500+barton out of it). First thing I do is clear the CMOS to get rid of whatever settings my friend had on it and customized it to my liking. Then the fun begins. The board was highly unstable from the get-go. It BSOD'ed on me a couple times when I was installed windows (same result when using either HDD to install on). When I do finally get it working, I put the sound drivers and ethernet and chipset drivers on, yet neither my sound or ethernet are functional (connecting it a linksys 802.11b type router and using logitech z-640 speakers). I attempted to reinstall the drivers but when I restarted for those to take effect the computer would crash after the windows loading screen (very very quick BSOD followed by a restart).

So he just got back from Quakecon and I told him that the board was highly unstable and it doesn't like me one bit, and yet again he assured me it was working for him when he had it and I borked something in the BIOS that was triggering the instability. I check again (my this board has a shitty BIOS too), and everything is where it should be. I don't know what to make of the board. Another friend informed me that the stock BIOS didn't like 90nm cores all that well...even though it says right on the box it is 90nm core ready. The friend who I bought it from said he put a new BIOS on it to get to to like 90nm cores but that should still be on the board correct?

I am baffled as to what to do with this thing, I just want to give it back to him, get my money back and add a little get an MSI k8n neo2 platinum

first, flash your bios with the latest ...

my experience is when you get BSOD while booting and so-forth it is usually ram related....try a different set and see what happens before you decide if it is your CPU or MOBO

my advice is move this post to the motherboard forum, i'm sure you'll get more help overthere ........

I was just using my RAM the day before with no problems what so ever, unless the AV8 isnt as compatible with my corsair as my nf7-s was

it could be anything dude .....
starting with your ram is the first thing... it could be incompatable ...i dought that though !! i think it could be something with the ram timing , try relaxing the timings then swap for a different stick and go from there .......

your mobo is dual channel ... i don't know if that has any affect since your using one stick with tight timings !!!

maybe someone else could helpout on this one also ...

i forgot to ask .. do you have one or two sticks of ram ?

if you have two sticks, there are certain slots you have to use .... look at abit forum for 939 mobos, alot of people have issues with AV8 and dual channel ram
.. look at the mobo manual also .....there is a certain arrangement of sticks you have to follow to make it work right !!!

i have the RAM in the two purple slots (the ones to the right)

I can try them in the left though, hopefully iw ill work

latief75 said:
it could be anything dude .....
starting with your ram is the first thing... it could be incompatable ...i dought that though !! i think it could be something with the ram timing , try relaxing the timings then swap for a different stick and go from there .......

your mobo is dual channel ... i don't know if that has any affect since your using one stick with tight timings !!!

maybe someone else could helpout on this one also ...

No I am using 2 sticks, they are matched sticks so they are guaranteed to work together. In the uGURU screen it says my FSB is at 204 by default, I don't know if it is just misreading it or what but I usually set it back to 200.

I checked their compatibility list and it doesn't list 512mb sticks of corsair low latency with TCCD chips on it. I don't if the list is outdated or maybe my ram just won't work on the motherboard.

i have the KV8pro ..... it also reads 204 for FSB ..

Abit usually do that to squeeze extra performance out of their boards ......

Ok so the person who sold me the board has a friend who wants to buy the board back from me so this thing is pretty much out of my hair now. Is the MSI k8n Neo2 platinum the best board for me to get now? (agp s939) Is the Nforce3 chipset better than the VIA kt800 one?

make a new post in the Motherboard forum .. ask about which board to get, you'll get quick, and good feedback on that !!!

good luck

I have the Abit AV8 and it's such a POS (IMO). I don't think i'll ever buy another Abit board again. Too many problems to mention (i'm running a 90nm Winchester)

jbean7457 said:
I have the Abit AV8 and it's such a POS (IMO). I don't think i'll ever buy another Abit board again. Too many problems to mention (i'm running a 90nm Winchester)

I don't think all Abit boards are bad, hell my Abit NF7-S ran like a champ, I just will always buy my motherboards new and unopened from now on.

Back