Abit and Asus questions

jrg70

Weaksauce
Hello all.

I'm looking at putting together a new system form the ground up and I think I've narrowed it down to 2-3 motherboards.

Asus P4P800 deluxe
Abit IC7-Max 3

Both seem to be pretty equal in features. The Oates cooling on the Abit board sounds pretty cool. The [H] review was pretty fired up on it. People seem to think Asus boards are more stable then Abit.

One other thing. I've noticed some IC7-G Max 2 advance boards for sale, but they are not listed on the Abit site. What is that board? It lists for much cheaper than the Max 3.

Thanks in advance.

Both Asus and Abit are excellent MFG's either should serve you fine.

The Max2 is the older version of the IC7G, it is without the OTES and has a parallel port. (or is it serial port? wichever one Abit had to 86 to fit the OTES fan) Also it's Silicon Image SATA RAID controller only has 2 ports, compared to the 4 of the Max3's Otherwise almost identical boards. (I have a Max2)

==>lazn

Thanks for the reply. I've been going back and forth between the Max 3 and P4C800-E board. Every time I think I've decided something else swings me around again. I have a few other questions:

The Abit board has active cooling on the northbridge, the Asus doesn't. Is that any big deal at all? Or does it really only have an impact if I start to push some serious overclocking?
added: Now that I look a little closer, it looks like the "-E" version has active cooling, and the "non -E" does not. Am I right about that?

Does the Oates cooling really mean much of anything either, or is it kind of a gimmick? (Even if it is a gimmick, it does seem pretty nice, but maybe not worth the price.)

If I were not going to OC al all, would one board be a better choice than the other?

Thanks again for the help.

jrg70 said:
If I were not going to OC al all, would one board be a better choice than the other?

Thanks again for the help.
if you don't want to OC then get an Intel mobo with the features you want.

digitalman said:
if you don't want to OC then get an Intel mobo with the features you want.

agreed.

Though I have a MAX-2 and have been very happy with it. The northbridge fan may make a small difference in over clocking though the passive solution will be more then adequete. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back