Abit AN8 Fatal1ty RAID Woes

Scrivener

n00b
I've got the AN8 Fatal1ty and have, to not much success, been trying to set up a bootable SATA RAID 0 with two WD Raptor 70GB HDDs. I enable to proper SATA channels in BIOS, I run the RAID Setup for striping and I have used the WD Lifeguard Tools to format both drives. Everything looks peachy keen as far as the mobos RAID functions are concerned. When I try to install Windows, however, after I have loaded the RAID drivers from the mobos driver disk, Windows Setup picks up both drives seperately. It wont touch one of the drives, and the other it tries to reformat - then when the system restarts, there a new 8MB partition, Windows Setup has started from the beginning again, and Windows will not do anything with either drive until I've reformatted with the WD Lifeguard Tools. Then we repeat the cycle. Someone PLEASE tell me where I'm going wrong.

What version of windows are using? A buddy of mine had a similar problem with the MSI Neo2. He was using windows 2000, I made him a slipstreamed disk with Service pack 4 installed and it worked perfectly. XP shouldnt have that problem though. I think... ?

Does abit have a newer set of drivers available that you put on the floppy disk? The ones that came with the MSI board wouldnt work. We had to get the newer ones off the website. Which btw were too big to put on a floppy. Theres some non important file we removed to make it small enough.

I have not connected any IDE drives (other than my DVD drive). The drivers available on the Abit website are the same version that came with the mobo (V.1.02). I'm downloading them anyway in case there is something wrong with the disc. I'll post an update momentarily.

Here's the solution - there are 4 options when you choose your RAID drivers. Two are for WinXP, two are for Win2003. The way it is phrased (and the complete lack of any documentation) lead you to believe they are for different uses entirely. You must load BOTH for the appropriate OS (Not just the driver that says RAID). Badabing, success. Installation of Windows continues...

Thanks for the input! ;)

Wow. Hell yeah!! Glad you got it working. You would think they would give better docs. with that mobo. Oh well. glad its working finally!!

Back