Aaaah can't choose cooler....PLEASE Help

Predator_CITF

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 24, 2005
Messages
200
I need a CPU cooler.

My system is as follows:

3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D

I was looking @ the Zalman CNPS9500. I saw that it was very nice, w/ LED's and worked really good.

I plan on overclocking my CPU to at least 2.7GHz, so I need a REALLY heavy duty cooling system that isn't LOUD.

The Zalman looked nice. But, then there's all this buzz about Thermalright.

XP120? XP90? XP90-C? SI-120?....

What about the Zalman CNPS7700?
 
Stu55 said:
I would say the XP-90c with a 92mm panaflo fan from my experience, but if you know you could fit an XP-120 on there that would work pretty well for you too.

I have this exact stuff and its great :)
 
how about the new thermalright hr-01?? i just ordered 2 of em from svc.com for my duallie build seeing as they are the only ones carrying them so far. apparently, the dont need you to remove your existing bracketing, and attach easily to all motherboards using the simple retention mechanism. just a thought ;)
 
I heard the XP-90C is above AMD's recommendation for heatsink weight....I don't want it to rip off my proc + socket when I transport the case....
 
They're all good choices man, Id say google for each and read the reviews, some reviews will have a comparison between two or more from your list
since you are looking for quiet performance SPCR is a good place to look, they test for noise levels and have mp3s for many of the heatsinks they've tested
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section12.html

D

P.S. also add TR's new HR1 to your list :)
 
Predator_CITF said:
I heard the XP-90C is above AMD's recommendation for heatsink weight....I don't want it to rip off my proc + socket when I transport the case....
The XP-90C is probably allright as long as you don't move the case. If your going to go to a LAN or something you may want to add some supports around it so it doesn't snap your motherboard.
 
the Zalman 7700 copper had about the best thermal resistance numbers, circa march 2005. .2 degrees C per watt, case to air.

the zalman 9500 came out since then. yes it has more copper but that doesn't mean it's a more efficient heat sink.

looks like Newegg doesn't have the spec for the 9500 on their website.
 
wwswimming said:
the Zalman 7700 copper had about the best thermal resistance numbers, circa march 2005. .2 degrees C per watt, case to air.

the zalman 9500 came out since then. yes it has more copper but that doesn't mean it's a more efficient heat sink.

looks like Newegg doesn't have the spec for the 9500 on their website.

Well...I was told from DFI-Street that the CNPS9500 rivals mid-level watercooling setups *if* the exhaust from the fan can be sucked out by the rear case fan. I have an Antec Sonata w/ a DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D and I am being told that the setup would work fine in my case?...
 
let's just say if your project was a horse i'd bet on it.

you're using a good heatsink and you're thinking about fan placement.

once i had to cool 1000 watts on a radar tube. we used a fan that was
4" in diameter and cost $5K. not everyone was happy about that number,
but they ended up needing the fan, so i guess they paid the bill.
 
Predator_CITF said:
Well...I was told from DFI-Street that the CNPS9500 rivals mid-level watercooling setups *if* the exhaust from the fan can be sucked out by the rear case fan. I have an Antec Sonata w/ a DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D and I am being told that the setup would work fine in my case?...

I have a Sonata and already examined the alignment, I will receive my Zalman 9500 in a day or two but from the looks of it its a straight shot out the vent fan!

David
 
Predator_CITF said:
I heard the XP-90C is above AMD's recommendation for heatsink weight....I don't want it to rip off my proc + socket when I transport the case....

I lugg my case around everywhere, never had a problem with it.
 
Back
Top