AA not applying in games when forced

d34dly

2[H]4U
Ok this continues to bother be. In several games I play when I force AA from the desktop (cuz it's not supported from withing the game) the game starts up and AA isn't applied. The only way to get it to apply is to Alt-Tab out of the game and then back in. And in one case (playing Chrome) it applies for roughly 10 seconds then I see a flash and it isn't applied anymore.

The games I play that I have to alt-tab out of are: Madden 2004. Armed and Dangerous, KOTOR, and some older games. This is really beginning to frustrate me because sometimes even when I alt-tab out, when it loads a new level it doesn't work again. Anyone had this happen before?

Specs in sig.

*Edit* - Oh yeah and CS it does this too. :D

I don't know about the other games but I can get KOTOR to use AA by forcing it in the driver (OpenGL)

Yeah I force it using the Display properties --> advanced --> 3D --> openGL or Direct 3D settings...

Originally posted by Spinal
Yeah I force it using the Display properties --> advanced --> 3D --> openGL or Direct 3D settings...
Yes, same here and I have no problem with KOTOR using AA when I force it this way. However, if I select "Application Preference" for AA, the AA settings in the game itself have no effect, I have to force it in the driver.

If your using Rage3D or a similar utility to overclock your card, 'remind' it to engage AA in the Rage3DTweak tab under Direct3D. Otherwise it 'forgets' to smooth over my D3D games sometimes. I dunno what causes it.

Try experimenting with the refresh rate under your displays tab. I had submitted a bug report on this a while ago as I have the same problem. I don't rememeber exactly how to reproduce it, but there is a situation where the AA can get stuck if using the same refresh as the desktop or also if it's different. It's possible to get it messed up either way. I started noticing this when the profiles pulldown appeared on the 3.9s. Try setting the in game refresh to something other than your desktop if it is, and if they're different force them to be the same.

Also try looking for redundant keys under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop
You'll have some long bracketed ket {489ufr-dckn-blah-blah}. If there's two try deleting one of them as there could be some contention in the settings.

Your alt-tabbing forces the monitor to resync in a similar manner that forcing various refeshes does, so try all that out and see if it helps. Maybe they'll get it fixed in the next ver...

Back