• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A8V Deluxe SPDIF out?

9mmx19

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
1,556
Okay Im new to this kinda thing so forgive me.

Ive been watching stuff from the PC on the TV via SVideo but Ive had to use crappy computer speakers for the audio. I noticed my board has this and was hopeful that i could upgrade to the TV speakers.

So when I connect one of those standard analog cables from the mobo to the audio on the TV, nothing happens. I hear nothing. I made sure in the ASUS audio thingy that theres SPDIF output and tried messing with WMPClassic and PowerDVD output settings but still nothing. The regular computer speakers work fine though. This is something I would like to get working if possible. Thanks in advance.
 
Does your TV actually accept digital audio input? That is pretty unusual for a TV to do. (not impossible, but not normally seen)

If you TV has analog audio inputs (a little more common), you should be able to connect the analog outputs on your board to the TV analog inputs. You may need a Mini Plug -> RCA adapter cable which can be found at radio shack.

However unless you have some REALLY cheap computer speakers I doubt your TV speakers will be much better. TV speakers even ones on the high priced Plasma screens are not very good.
 
I did think about the mini>RCA route but my motherboard has one of those RCA yellow jacks for output so I was hoping I could just connect the cable directly. Thats what its for right?

I guess I could get one of those adapters if I REALLY wanted to do this...
 
Does your TV really have a digital input? That would be a bit odd - but I guess not impossible.

What make/model is your TV?
 
9mmx19 said:
I did think about the mini>RCA route but my motherboard has one of those RCA yellow jacks for output so I was hoping I could just connect the cable directly. Thats what its for right?

I guess I could get one of those adapters if I REALLY wanted to do this...

That "yellow" RCA jack is you digital coax output. What are you connecting it to on your TV, cause I am betting it is not a digital input. What color is the RCA jack on the TV you are connecting it to?
 
Im not sure exactly the model but its a Sony 50" LCD Projection TV.

I am connecting a regular coax cable from the yellow jack on my motherboard to a corresponding round audio input on my TV. I think its white and labelled as "L/Mono Audio" or something. Is it supposed to go somewhere else? There are some "special" jacks on the back of the TV for like HD inputs or something which I didnt try.

There IS also a digital output on the motherboard and TV (5 sided with the red light) but thats not what Im trying to use.

Sorry for my confusing noobishness on this haha
 
bingo! the plug you are connecting to is an analog port l/mono the digital sig from the mb requires a digital input. you wont get any sound doing it that way , if you want stereo sound from the a8v try getting a 3.5mm stereo adapter to the rca white and red cables on your tv.
 
9mmx19 said:
There IS also a digital output on the motherboard and TV (5 sided with the red light) but thats not what Im trying to use.

Yep your connecting digital out to an analog input. Your TV does NOT have digital audio inputs, which is not surprising because I do not know of any TVs that do. They have no real need since they just have a pair of cheap speakers in them.

The 5 sided plug with the red light is your Optical digital output, it serves the same purpose as the Coax Digital, just a different method of sending the data. You generally only see digital audio input on recievers and dedicated DACs, and computer speaker systems that have builtin DACs with amplifiers.

Bottom line if you want to use the builtin speakers of your TV you need the Mini Plug -> RCA adapter connect it to you soundcards (on the motherboard) Line Out and then connect the RCA plugs to your TVs L/R inputs, they should be colored RED and White.
 
Ahhhh I see now... thx for the clarification and patience with the noobness haha
 
Back
Top