A8R32-MVP sometimes won't boot...

psupef2k

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 25, 2006
Messages
73
I get some beeps, but I wasn't paying attention, so I can't describe their order/length. Not that that matters, because I have been unable to find a list of the beep codes for this board, not in the manual, not on the web...

Anyway, I Suspect video or memory, most likely video because nothing displays on the screen at all when this happens. I think it was one long beep followed by 2 short ones, and then I have to reboot the computer and it comes up fine.

Any thoughts?
 
I am having the same issue with my board (K8N Neo4-F). During boot-up, I will have no video at all and hear the beep code 1-long, 2-short. If I reset the machine, video will usually work fine after the first reset and the machine boots normally. However, there have been a few times when I've reset 10+ times and still didn't have video.

I have RMAd the board once and after getting it back from MSI, the problem continues. I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the motherboard because I've tried using an old PCI video card and still had the same issue. I don't have an extra PCI-E 16X card or I would swap it out and try.

On the RMA Invoice I got when my mobo came back from MSI, it says that there was an Error Code of 998 and a Repair Code of U0H. I've googled this and come up with nothing. If anyone knows what these codes mean, I'd like to know. Also, any help with this problem is appreciated. Machine specs are as follows:

MSI K8N Neo4-F
A64 3500+ Venice
Corsair XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR400
BFG 6800GT

Thanks again
 
I forgot to check which BIOS the A8R32-MVP uses (Award, AMI, Phoenix), so I don't know which beep code list applies to me. Anyone know? Once I know that I will be able to narrow down my issue to that beep code. Thanks in advance.
 
I think it is AMI. Can anyone confirm? If it is, its a memory test error. I ran memtest86 several times and it never picked up any problems, and the memory is not overclocked, it is running at it's 250mhz stock speed. I guess I will see what memtest says this time and RMA if needed. Maybe it was my memory holding my OC back after all.
 
It is actually 1 long followed by 3 short beeps. According to several websites, this is a base/extended memory error. However, Memtest86 runs for 5+ hours with no errors, so I don't think the memory is bad. Could the timings I have set just be bad? Any help would be appreciated, as the machine I spent a boatload of cash on is frustrating me beyond belief.

Thanks. :(
 
ugh...HELP!!

This morning I tried starting it up, had to reset 3 times to get it to boot past post, and when I did get it to startup, the video card driver is now not installed. It shows up in add/remove programs, but not in device manager and was detected as new hardware. I will have to reinstall them tonight when I get home.

I also noticed that when I boot up, the post screen shows that the memory clock = unknown. Is this normal?

I checked speed fan and it was showing vcore1 correctly, it had a reading of vcore2 = 3.25 steady (i think this is really my +3.3V rail), and then +3.3V = 2.6 fluctuating from 1.4-3.4, not steady at all, but mostly floating around 2.6V which is what my memory is set to, so I assume that reading is actually my DDR voltage. I would assume that the fluctuations from 1.4-3.4 is not good, and could actually be the basis of my overclocking stability issues. Would this be caused by bad memory? Or would it be the motherboard or even the PSU that is the issue? All rails on the PSU are stable, so I don't think that is it but I could be wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
The mem clock shows "Unknown" if you are using the 183 divider (with the 404 bios anyway), and with your mem you shouldn't be... Your running 10 X 250 and 250 is what your ram is rated for. So set the mem to "200" with timimgs of 3-4-4-8 and 2.60 vdimm see how that works for ya...
 
pcdoc1 said:
The mem clock shows "Unknown" if you are using the 183 divider (with the 404 bios anyway), and with your mem you shouldn't be... Your running 10 X 250 and 250 is what your ram is rated for. So set the mem to "200" with timimgs of 3-4-4-8 and 2.60 vdimm see how that works for ya...
been there done that, not stable. I bumped my machine down to 240HTT memory in 1:1 divider, and 1.3vcore (board overvolts it to 1.35.). and Prime ran for 2.5 hours before failing on core 0. Max temp according to PC probe was 44C. What should I do here to get it stable past 2.5 hours?
 
I have been away from this for a while but I need to get this squared away. It seems to happen more when my room is cool. If my room is warm on a hot day, it boots up fine. I don't see why lower ambient temp would impact my ability to boot, but it definitely seems to. I've memtested the ram, ive tested the PSU rails, and they both are fine. I'm down to the memory controller on the processor, which i don't think it is, or the mobo itself. Unfortunately I do not have another motherboard or processor to test with, so I don't know how to go about narrowing it down. Maybe I will just get the motherboard replaced under warranty as a next step? or maybe just get a DFI board?

Bios is 0404. I know 0502 is out now and I have it downloaded, I just haven't flashed the bios yet. Maybe it will fix the problem? I doubt it though, as it is not listed as a fix.
 
I'm not sure if this will help or not but go into the BIOS set most of the overclocking options to manual and adjust the settings to their default values.

One thing I noticed with my board was that I was getting different settings each time I powered up my system. Leaving memory on auto I'd get CL2.5 one boot and CL3 the next for timings. My memory was stock 250MHZ@CL2.5 so it was confusing me a bit. I also saw HTT Link dividers of 2:1 instead of the default 5:1 with no overclocking going on.
 
Back
Top