• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A8N32 DELUXE problem need help!

crazyhorsejohnny

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
133
I'm building a rig for the first time. So far not too good. I'm pretty sure I installed everything correctly but when I power up I don't get any video from the monitor. And the monitor is fine as my old cp works fine with it. My memory is Corsair 2048MB PC-3500LLPR0 TWINX. I put in the black slots. That's right? And my video card is XFX 7800gt. I used the small power splicer (??) so it has two power connections going to it. PSU is Enermax Liberty 620.
 
Since no one has responded yet, I'll give it a shot.

Why not use one of the dedicated PCIE Power connectors (the ones with the red ends) that come with the Liberty?

On my A8N SLI Premium I had to have the ram in the Blue slots. Might wanna try that.
 
try the ram in the 2 blue slots.i believe the black slots are single channel.you need
a1 and b1 for dual channel,the 2 blue slots.not sure if it will work with just the black slots populated.......
 
ive had memory in both the blue and black slots(at separate times) and its worked fine either way. i would try what the 2nd poster suggested and use the dedicated cable that comes with the liberty for pci-e vid cards...

1. try clearing out the cmos to see if that makes a difference.
2. try one stick of memory instead of two(try both sticks seperately if one doesnt work)
3. unhook ALL unnecessary items(even hard drives). try booting with just video/cpu/ram.


even without the power cable going to the vid card it should still boot though. hmmmmm
 
The previous two posters had excellent points. Try those and as stated before:


1.) Use the dedicated PCI-e 6 pin power adapter.
2.) Clear CMOS

I would also add

3.) double check the Motherboard connections for the case. You know, that group of small plugs on the bottom corner. Be sure they are all correctly plugged in.

Do you get the green light on the bottom of the MB stating that it is recieving power?

Did you plug in both MB power connections? Also, for the heck of it, try plugging in a molex connector to the EZ-plug adapter on the motherboard. It's worth a shot and won't hurt anything.

Is the power plug connected to your floppy drive? I had an issue where my system wouldn't boot because I kept the floppy data cable plugged in but forgot to connect the power plug. Strange I know.
 
One thing guys, I can't clear cmos because it won't even post. I am getting power to the MB (green light is ON). I did try booting with just the cpu ram and video but to no avail. But I'll try th e EZplug suggestion. And I have my video card plugged in the top blue slot.
 
you dont have to boot to clear the cmos...
just pull the cmos jumper and put it on the clear cmos pins and take out your battery.
wait about 2 minutes
then put the jumper back in normal position and replaced ur battery
make sure you unplug the computer when doing this.

the manual also has the insturctions on how to do this
 
crazyhorsejohnny said:
One thing guys, I can't clear cmos because it won't even post. I am getting power to the MB (green light is ON). I did try booting with just the cpu ram and video but to no avail. But I'll try th e EZplug suggestion. And I have my video card plugged in the top blue slot.


Yes, you can.


First unplug your computer from any AC power (remove power cord).

Next, ground yourself by touching the case.

Then, remove your video card and any PCI cards and you will see the motherboard battery. Push the metal clip DOWN that is holding the battery in place and it will pop out. Remove the battery from the MB if it did not pop out.

Now, you will see a blue jumper somewhere near the battery that is labeled "CLRTC" I believe. Move this jumper from it's current location on the first two pins (from left to right) to the last two pins. So it should now be covering the two pins closest to the IDE connectors. Leave it there for at least 30 seconds, then move it back to it's initial location. Replace the MB battery, and reinstall your video and any PCI cards you had. Plug in the PC and try to boot again. :)

Hope this helps.
 
after reading the posts, it might not be the mobo that is the problem.
it could be the graphics card or monitor.
more likely the former than latter, but test both to be on the safe side.

btw what is the "small power splicer" you're talking about?
what is it connected from/to?
 
try this....unplug the power to your flop py...dont ask; i just did the same build tonight with my a8n32 and that solved it; it was over too far. Just try it out ^_^
 
Pull the ram out of the machine and try turning it on then. The motherboard should emit a repeating beep to let you know you have no RAM installed.

No beeps, I'd say you have either incorrectly installed the CPU (or its DOA), or your mobo is a dud.

If it DOES beep, try putting in one stick (put it in the black slot nearest the CPU). See if it boots. If so, I'd start pointing fingers at the memory. Either one of the sticks is bad, or its not detecting the timings/frequency correctly and its shitting its pants. Adjust the BIOS to manually set the timings for the memory, but be conservative. Also make sure its getting the right voltage. Then, try putting both sticks back in. If it boots, get your CD-Rom installed and run Memtest. If it doesn't, see about getting the RAM tested elsewhere, or replaced.

Also, no need to pull the battery to clear the CMOS, thats the whole point of the jumper.
 
crazyhorsejohnny said:
The "splicer" goes from PSU to Video Card.

Did you try not using the splicer and using the dedicated video card cable that came with the Liberty?
 
Does the system simply not POST at all or do you see/hear any drive activity to indicate the OS was loading?

As to the memory slots to use, the manual mentions which memory slots to use for dual channel use A1 and B1 which is what I did on the two systems I built. Both appear to be running OK and no MemTest errors (using the 1009 BIOS. 1013 seems pooched.)

I had one issue with a 7900GT plugged into an A8N32. If I used the top most DVI port on the card and switched KVM ports, when I switched back, I'd get no video. Using the buttom most DVI port fixed that.

Is the monitor VGA or DVI? If VGA and the card is only DVI, try another VGA adapter?
 
Back
Top