A8N-SLI Premium vs Deluxe

Top Nurse

Supreme [H]ardness
Greetings most exalted ones...

I currently have an ASUS A8N-SLI that I bought in January that I have never put the juice to yet. The why is a long story called Feeding Frenzy. Anyway I am thinking of going with the A8N-SLI Premium board instead. What are the main differences between the Deluxe and Premium revisions? The hardware, with the exception of the electronic SLI switch, seems to be the same. So what else did they do that would be of interest?

Also is the physical layout of the board the same as the Deluxe? What I am interested to kow is whether the CPU and NB mounting holes are in the exact same place? I was planning on drilling holes in the MB mounting tray on my V2000 case so I can get to the waterblock screws on my Deluxe board soon. BTW, I would be throwing away that heat pipe design as I will be water cooling the NB, system ram, and mosfets.

Bump...

BTW, I found out about the mounting holes. They are exactly the same. :)

well i have an a8n-sli deluxe rev 1.0

it is a pretty good MB .

i'm sure the new version will have some improvements over the deluxe.

my thinking is this-- if i was building a new system and didn't have a MB--then i would get the new one--but if you got a deluxe allready-- i don't see anyreason not to use it. :cool:

as far as i can tell the new version hase a heatpipe cooler , has soft/bios settings for the sli card--and has improver memory settings that allow t1 above 250fsb.and should be an improved overclocker.

the question would be--if these things small improvements are a big deal to you or not.if so sell the sell the deluxe and get the new MB--if not ya juat as well stick with the deluxe.

as far as overclocking --my deluxe has posted better overclocks with come cores than my DFI-ultra D-- so i do question how much "better " the new MB is above the old one..

JSF summed it up pretty good. i have the premium. heatpipe for the northbridge will help a good bit if you are planning to go SLI in the future. improved memory timings make it a bit more stable overclocking. it's only an average of $25 more, so why not step up?

well I got the deluxe version only coz the store ran out of A8N-SLI non-deluxe boards. I can tell you this, if you don't need the extra network controller and 4 sata provided by deluxe there is not really any need to buy either of them. Save the money, it's the same board in any other sense, and buy the non-deluxe. That's just my opinion, other than that I'm happy with my deluxe board.

well I got the deluxe version only coz the store ran out of A8N-SLI non-deluxe boards. I can tell you this, if you don't need the extra network controller and 4 sata provided by deluxe there is not really any need to buy either of them. Save the money, it's the same board in any other sense, and buy the non-deluxe. That's just my opinion, other than that I'm happy with my deluxe board.

hes talking about the premium vs the deluxe

like the other guy said if u already have a deluxe be happy...the premium isnt that much better, it only fixes some minor problems

both are solid boards

The heatpipe, ram timing issue fixed so you can do 1T above 250FSB, and the SLi selector card has been replaced with a chip so that the signal switching can be done internally now with only a BIOS settings change.

That's it. I would say that if you've got a A8N-SLi Deluxe, upgrading is only worthwhile if your a serious overclocker. Otherwise you'd be fine with the Deluxe board.

Does the Deluxe also have the additional Silicon Image SATA controller?

Sir-Fragalot said:
The heatpipe, ram timing issue fixed so you can do 1T above 250FSB

hmm this is where i'm getting a problem w/ my premuim. I cant seem to run 1T, it always restart my pc while playing for about 2 minutes.. :(

and no i havent use any other bios beside the one that came w/ the board already..

sorry to hijack the thread.. current specs is on my sig.

Dr_John said:
Does the Deluxe also have the additional Silicon Image SATA controller?

Yes it does, but it's not sata2 if that's of any concern to you.

to render... I can read dude, I know what he is asking about, last time I checked we were free to recommend hardware/software based on our experiences :rolleyes: and in my experience, since I never used the second network for once, nor I think I will ever use the additional 4 sata controllers for the next 3 years, i stated that the non-deluxe is also a viable option if he wants to save a few bucks and eat more donuts for a month... The board will be just as stable since it uses the same layout but with missing chips here and there...

Back