A8N Sli Deluxe POST lag

mike890

n00b
Ok, ive had this board for about 6 months now (since it came out) and this has happened EVERY time. Im wondering if its happened to anyone else but me. The problem is that every time I restart, do a reset, or sometimes do a cold start, there would be a delay/lag BEFORE the POST beep, approximately 5 seconds. During that time, the monitor signal would get cut and the monitor would go into standby (light goes from green to orange). Now, my pentium II-266MHz with a TNT2 card in it doesnt lag at all while restarting, neither does my old AMD XP 2700 w/ Radeon 9700. I dont think this is a standard procedure of the board restarting. Im also thinking that it may be a Gfx issue but I could be wrong. My system specs are as follows:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe BIOS 1013 Final
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ NewCastle
2x Kingston DDR400 3-3-3-8 KVR400X64C3A/256
ASUS GeForce 6600-256
Antec True Blue 480w PS

What ive done to try and fix this was try each stick individually, swap power supplies and boot with as minimal as possible. I dont know what else to do. I have already RMA'd the board and they said there was nothign wrong with it. Anyone please help. Thanks

do you have a floppy connected to the board? ive had a few asus boards that would take a bit longer to post or boot if they had no floppy. put in a floppy and they booted very fast.

you might need to rule out some of your other hardware as well and try booting with minimial.

yeah i just got mine up yesterday and it does that too...however i don't plan on ever having a floppy in my comp but i can live with the POST lag...now if i could just get rid of that stupid RAID setup message i'd be happy

i tried with the floppy and the lag is still there. to get rid of the raid message just goto the bios and in onboard devices disable silicon sata controller

I have the Premium version.. I get that 5sec post lag beep also. It doesn't bother me too much.

Hi all,

Are u guys sure it isn't a usb device problem ?
Note that some usb connector on mainboards have a pin called usboc, this pin should not be connected unless required by the usb device. Check ur mainboard for that.

Go into the bios and disable usb to see if it posts faster. If it does, check the pins.
Usually usb causes problems pos-post and not pre-post, but I would check it anyway.

Cheers.

I get a similar thing with my DFI-SLI-D. When I restart, cold boot etc the chipset fan goes into overdrive, monitor then goes into standby, wait, then it posts. I've tried loads of things, various BIOS's etc can't sort it out.

Hmmm, I have A8N-SLI Premium. I'd say there is a 3-5 second delay from power on. . . to monitor sleep. . . to monitor on.

Never considered it a problem. And it has never progressed to the point where it wouldn't POST or boot at all.

This probably isn't the culprit. . . but the BIOS has a settings for whether it should initialize a PCI-E or a PCI card first (default to PCI) for video. . . might setting this correctly make a difference?

H

P.S. I'm a guy who obsesses about things that I'm not even sure are a problem. So I think I can sometimes spot it in others. :) I think you may be jumping at shadows here. The board is more than likely operating normally. When I get home, I'll time the delay until the POST beep to be sure.

Back