A8N-SLI deluxe chipset fan dying what do do?...

gtx4u

Limp Gawd
My chipset fan is slowly dying I can hear tones of bad sounds when it starts up but returns to normal after a while. Any 1 know what I can do to stop it?.. Any help would be greatly appreciated thx

Mine just died. Call (don't e-mail) Asus and have them send a new one out to you. The reason I say to call them is that I wasted a good 2 weeks waiting for them to send me something at which point my fan finally died and I had to buy my own new one.

ASUS COMPUTER INTERNATIONAL (America)
Tech. Support Telephone (General) +1-502-995-0883

From my A8N-SLI Deluxe manual. G'luck.

Slartibartfast said:
Before you buy anything try squirting some WD-40 in there, sometimes that helps.

NO..(lmao)

Just goto Http://www.Frozencpu.com and search Chipset Cooler and choose one from there. They'll do the job.

++ Don't bother with asus either for replacements, they take their time (like 3 weeks on avg. if not later).

the Fan on my ASUS SLI was too damm loud so i unpluged it.. Comp has worked jsut fine since (over 4 mounths) and i even overclcok pretty good too....

my a8n-sli deluxe started screaming just a week ago. seems like asus has had several batches of bad fans i had one go out on a vga too.

anyway after about 10 months of use the northbridge heatsink started squealing like a pig--so i called asus and they sent me a new one. no rma's to fill out or anything. give um a call. :cool:

RailGunRiz said:
++ Don't bother with asus either for replacements, they take their time (like 3 weeks on avg. if not later).

Maybe I got lucky, but I had the same problem, called them on a Friday and had the new chipset fan by the middle of the next week.

similar problem with my one....the chipset fan goes to arund 2000-3000 and starts making weird noises...its normally at around 8000rpm is it dieing?

Mayhs said:
similar problem with my one....the chipset fan goes to arund 2000-3000 and starts making weird noises...its normally at around 8000rpm is it dieing?

yes its starting to die, mine is doing it to. i ended up buying a zalman chipcooler since i hear the replacements arent all that great either :(

does doing this void your mobo warranty? or can you mount these alternate HSFs without epoxy?

You will have a problem with warranty if you don't call ASUS and do a repair with someone else's chipset cooler. You definitely need to call ASUS. Mine is still OK after 6 months but an old friend had his die within weeks and it fried his board. He rma'd it ok but had to wait.

you need to get a chipset cooler that uses the same mounting holesas the stock heatsink. put arcticsilver 5 or ceramique on chip then place cooler over chip and just push the pins in. if you ever have trouble with the board you can just throw the old heatsink on it and then rma.

I suggested the WD-40 thing because a friend of mine fixed a fan like that, why do you guys recommend against?

I replaced one of these asus boards with the updated fan.. worked well till about a month into it when the new revised fan started to make whinning rattling noises.. :rolleyes: :(

I(illa Bee said:
the Fan on my ASUS SLI was too damm loud so i unpluged it.. Comp has worked jsut fine since (over 4 mounths) and i even overclcok pretty good too....

No chipset cooling at all? That is impressive and hard to believe. I put in a heavy Swiftech MCX-159-Cu in my Asus SLI and unplugged the fan to see how well it would work passive. It got almost too hot to the touch within a few minutes. All that heat in my case got me worried, so I plugged the fan back in. I know that other people use the passive Zalman cooler and it works fine for them. Maybe the less dense aluminum dissipates the heat better. I just can't imagine the board not overheating without some kind of cooler on the chipset.

c1001 said:
No chipset cooling at all? That is impressive and hard to believe. I put in a heavy Swiftech MCX-159-Cu in my Asus SLI and unplugged the fan to see how well it would work passive. It got almost too hot to the touch within a few minutes. All that heat in my case got me worried, so I plugged the fan back in. I know that other people use the passive Zalman cooler and it works fine for them. Maybe the less dense aluminum dissipates the heat better. I just can't imagine the board not overheating without some kind of cooler on the chipset.

I left the HS on it. I jsut inpluged the fan..Yea it gets hot to thouch, but it works fine... I have a 80mm case fan on the side, it blows kinds onto the Chipset... might be helping might not..

hmm the fan on my asus board is so quiet...i cant hear it until it starts to die momentarily, then sorts its self out again...im gonna ring asus tomorrow to get a new board.

asus have pretty good customer support in england, my friend had the same problem and asus sent a new board and an engineer the next day :)

If you are not overclocking, you can get away with one of the $7 Zalman passive heatsinks. If you are overclocking, it will overheat without active cooling.

As a side note, the Zalman northbridge heatsink will also work very well even in overclocking applications if you have a side case fan that happens to blow down on it.

If you want a quick and dirty fix, there's those little Vantec chipset cooler kits for under $10 that come with thermal tape, so if the holes don't line up just tape it on and presto.

[BB] Rick James said:
I think the obvious answer is RMA???? ;)
Not even. I'm not losing my motherboard for a few weeks just to get another failure-prone heatsink-fan installed.

Although I'm not using the board in question right now, I just sort of fiddled around in there with a small screwdriver moving the fan around manually and that must have reseated it because the noisy fan seems to have stabilised. The fan in my HTPC, despite running for a far longer time (it's on all the time) has never raised it's voice. I have the Zalman HS's already and was going to use one for the purposes of replacing the ex-noisy one in case it happened again, but since it was my intention to put the two fanless 6600GT's in it I became very concerned about the heatsink clearance. Things are a bit up in the air now (again) as my PC set-up is concerned but I will probably go Zalman on both Deluxes.

The fan that they put in there is junk, and yes, they will send you an exact copy of it if you call them. Expect replacing it atleast once a year if you really want to keep that warranty.

I bought a SWIFTECH MCX-159-R back before they were discontinued, and I can say that my temps have never gone above 27C. It's a nice universal chipset cooler...Here are some links of places to buy it (I paid like 25$ for mine new...):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiftech-Intel-Chipset-Cooler-865-875-9xx-chipsets_W0QQitemZ6832752795QQcategoryZ80151QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.shoprbc.com/ca/shop/product_details.php?pid=3711

If you look around, you'll see the excellent reviews...but it is truly hard to find one nowadays... pm me if you need help installing it :p

I got the replacement fan, then the new "rivsed" fan died 2 months later :(

VulturEMaN said:
I bought a SWIFTECH MCX-159-R back before they were discontinued, and I can say that my temps have never gone above 27C. It's a nice universal chipset cooler...If you look around, you'll see the excellent reviews...but it is truly hard to find one nowadays... pm me if you need help installing it :p

I have the copper version of this cooler. It is indeed robust and awesome.

No.
You might have to trim a bit of the plastic from the corner of the fan bracket depending on your SLI setup. I actually replaced the stock Swiftech fan with an even quieter 40mm SilenX fan and did a ten minute trim job on one corner where there wasn't a screw anyway.

Back