A8N-E Woes... Help Anyone?

Okay, I am having a lot of issues with this A8N-E board by Asus. If you look at my signature you will see my current setup. I am having a couple of problems, the first being when I select disable on the floppy drive selection in bios, the computer will freeze during the second part of bios where it displays all the IRQ settings for the intergrated components. The second issue is the most annoying. I can't seem to get the chipset drivers working correctly, I installed the latest version 6.66 and when I restart windows will not load, only in safe mode. I can't do the /sos because it freezes before it starts to load any device drivers. This only happens when I install the chipset drivers, I have verfied time and time again.

I can't help you with the floppy issue, not owning this board myself, but the second, I might be able to.
A lot of the NF4 boards seem to have problems with the IDE drivers that come with the nForce drivers. You know, when you run the setup program, and you get a second one that loads that says "do you wish to install the nVidia SW IDE drivers?" and most will select yes, and then wonder why their $2000 investment has decided that falling over and playing dead is quite fun, especially when the look of fury on said investor's face as PC is thrown across room and cursed with the fires of a thousand levels of hell is really rather quite funny.
Yeah, anyway...
Just don't install the IDE drivers when you're asked to, this worked for me.

I will have to try that. I am not pleased with this board. I am about to make a new thread regarding my troubled A8N-E, maybe SLI was the better choice.

Will the a8n-e run ok without those ide drivers loaded at all or do you need to load another different set instead?

The microsoft drivers work fine, and I can confirm that installing the IDE drivers from the chipset will have an adverse affect on the system. I had the same results as many of you had with installing the drivers, Windows will fail to load, only in safe mode. However, I seem to have a problem rolling back the drivers. I had to do a complete reinstall in order to get windows to boot as it should. Nvidia should be aware of this problem, you would think they would correct it. Does anyone have the Nvidia IDE drivers working?

civic00typer said:
The microsoft drivers work fine, and I can confirm that installing the IDE drivers from the chipset will have an adverse affect on the system. I had the same results as many of you had with installing the drivers, Windows will fail to load, only in safe mode. However, I seem to have a problem rolling back the drivers. I had to do a complete reinstall in order to get windows to boot as it should. Nvidia should be aware of this problem, you would think they would correct it. Does anyone have the Nvidia IDE drivers working?

On my NF3, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt. I think it just had moods, honestly. I use to rub it alot, but then I stopped, so it probably became angry and threw hissy fits every now and again just to let me know it missed the attention.

As a lighthearted albeit useless comment, i'd be pretty wary of installing any drivers that were revision 6.66

:p

[H]ard On said:
As a lighthearted albeit useless comment, i'd be pretty wary of installing any drivers that were revision 6.66
:p

Yeah, me too.

I don't use the Nforce IDE drivers. I never have and haven't had any of the issues you describe. I'm sorta old school and I actually have a floppy drive, so I can't help you there, sorry.
Just out of curiosity, what version of the BIOS are you using?

I am running the latest version. 1006. They are two beta's that I know about, 1007.200, and 1008.100. I have tried 1008.100 with the same results, and it is even more unstable.

Back