A7N8X-x CMOS won't clear

Cremator

n00b
I initially got it to boot one time, went directly into the BIOS and set what I thought to be the correct settings, now it won't even POST or beep. I have a sneaking suspicion that I was sold a fraudulent CPU as when I tried to set my old MB to 166 it wouldn't POST either, but at least with that one I could clear the CMOS and set it back to 133.
I'vr tried removing the battery and moving the jumper several times to no avail, any suggestions?

thanks

Try following this process:

Remove power cord from PSU
Remove battery
Move the jumper to the reset position and wait 5 min
Move the jumper back
Replace battery
Replace power cord and boot

Also, if you accidentally leave the jumper in the reset position and turn on the computer, it could cause damage to your motherboard (hope you didn't do that)

Thanks. I don't think I did that, but somehow my CPU fried. I just got back from a local PC shop and they confirmed the CPU was dead on two other MBs. I didn't grind and corners, nor did I burn it out. Damn thing was a little funny from the start and wouldn't boot at 333, so I always was under-clocking it. Only 45 days old and the OEM warranty ran for 30, so I guess I'll make a necklace or something with it and cough-up for a new one. Lesson learned: I'm going with a local store or an online dealer with a good rep instead of Pricewatch's best deal...

That sucks about the CPU

Going with the cheapest isn't a bad idea, just go with a retail option instead of OEM

I always pay the additional $10-30 for a retail CPU so I'm not stuck with a short-ass warranty...it's paid off in the long run for me since AMD will RMA CPU's that you fry from overclocking (as long as it's under warranty) ;)

Back