A7N8X or K7N2 Delta2-LSR?

ssbf

n00b
Hi All,
Getting ready to upgrade for the New Year from a KT600 to nForce2 400 Ultra board. I have narrowed it down to these two boards. I am looking for opinions or experiences.

They seem pretty close in the flexibility available in the BIOS and they both have similar features I am interested in. I have found plenty of reviews for the Asus board but none for the MSI. Any opinions or experience you have had with either board would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John
:confused:

Personally, I'd save up a bit and get an AMD64 with an MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum. That's just my opinion though, however if you decide to stay with the slot A platform, I'd go for the A7N8X, because I've heard a lot of good things about them.

I had the MSI board's sibling, the K7N2 Delta-ILSR, and was very happy with it. Full featured and reliable. The ILSR was replaced by the Delta 2 Platinum, their new flagship Socket A board.

That said, I agree with the first reply. If you've already got Socket A, don't switch boards out for the same platform. You're far better off saving up for an Athlon 64. You won't get a lot more performance from the dual channel memory of the Nforce 2 chipset.
What current CPU are you using? If it's an Athlon XP 2500+, you might be able to run at 200MHz FSB (3200+ speeds) if you have adequate cooling, and this ought to work on a KT600 board, preserving the correct AGP/PCI multipliers.

LoneWolf said:
I had the MSI board's sibling, the K7N2 Delta-ILSR, and was very happy with it. Full featured and reliable. The ILSR was replaced by the Delta 2 Platinum, their new flagship Socket A board.

That said, I agree with the first reply. If you've already got Socket A, don't switch boards out for the same platform. You're far better off saving up for an Athlon 64. You won't get a lot more performance from the dual channel memory of the Nforce 2 chipset.
What current CPU are you using? If it's an Athlon XP 2500+, you might be able to run at 200MHz FSB (3200+ speeds) if you have adequate cooling, and this ought to work on a KT600 board, preserving the correct AGP/PCI multipliers.

my note also goes to the k7n2 delta islr

Well, from experience with the A7N8X its junk. I read plenty of good reviews but my first one was just plain defective, RMAd it and the second one started to get really buggy as well, so I have to say the MSI board as well.

However I would go more in favor of upgrading to an A64. I just recently got the K8N Neo2 Platinum and 90nm A64 3000+. I couldn't be happier. Unlike my ASUS boards this board worked without a hitch the first time. With buying a new motherboard at this time, I think its better to pick a platform that will be worth upgrading on in the near future, since a Socket A board leaves you pretty dry in terms of upgrade options.

Back