• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A64 Venice 3200+ OC - Your input please!

Appa

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 22, 2005
Messages
2,748
So this is my first time overclocking any CPU, as I've never had a system good enough to overclock!

I've read all the guides on here (EXTREMELY HELPFUL! THANK YOU HardOCP!) and I have done all my tweaking and nudging. Here are my results from a Reg dump from CPUz:

I'm running an Asus A8n-SLi Premium motherboard with Patriot Extreme DDR 400 memory.

Number of CPUs 1
APIC ID 0
Name AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Code name Venice
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Family/Model/Stepping FF0
Extended Family/Model F/2F
Brand ID 4
Package Socket 939
Core Stepping DH-E3
Technology 0.09µ
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
Clock Speed 2208.8 MHz
Clock multiplier x9.0
HTT Bus Frequency 245.4 MHz Ai Booster reports 980 FSB btw.

P-Rating 3200+
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2208.8 MHz (Full)

and my memory

Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 200.8 MHz (CPU/11)
CAS# 2.0
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 2
Cycle Time (tRAS) 5
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 11
DRAM Idle Timer 16



*****EDIT: As requested: My CPU Voltage is 1.45.
Temps are 30C idle, 35-37 load for CPU
MB= 35 idle, 40-45 load


Can you guys please look at this and tell me where I can improve or what I should improve. I know its a very mild OC but I am a newbie and I am taking it slow!
:p Thanks everyone!!
 
i might be missing it but what is your cpu voltage? my guess, more volts = higher oc. please include oc temps with voltage increase.
 
I added the info you requested to the origional post! Thanks for checking in.
 
You should really run the 10x multiplier instead of the 9x because you have a 3200+. Your CPU should definitely be able to handle 2.45 GHz if not a lot more.
 
With those temps you should be very comfortable raising voltage to your proc. Make sure you bump up in very small increments, your proc has some room in it yet. Try both 9 and 10 multiplier, see which your mobo likes best.
 
Thanks for the input guys! So, running x9 multiplyer is not the best way to go then? I will adjust to x10 and lower the CPU frequency then. I chose x9 because it allowed me to get my HTT up to 980 Mhz, I went further and have it at an even 1,000 right now with the CPU at 2240 (250 clock * x4 HTT) and my Memory is sitting comfortably at 415 MHz.
 
Will do!!

Can anyone tell me why I would want to "up my volts" and what the benefit is of doing so? Am I "starving" my system by only supplying 1.45 volts to the CPU right now?


Sorry for the questions, I'm learning as I go along here. :D
 
When a cpu is stretched to its limits, increasing the voltage helps stability. This is only to a certain extent, and isnt always the cure. I have the same cpu as you and I can tell you that to reach 2.5ghz, I have to run at 1.55v to keep stability, whereas 2.4 or lower and it runs ok at 1.40. I can reach 2.6 with 1.60v, and past that voltage stops helping and I just simply need better cooling if I were to ever get higher. Theres always a certain point that you just cant get past, regardless of what you do. You almost 100% surely can run the 10x multiplier and be perfectly fine.
 
wee96 said:
When a cpu is stretched to its limits, increasing the voltage helps stability. This is only to a certain extent, and isnt always the cure. I have the same cpu as you and I can tell you that to reach 2.5ghz, I have to run at 1.55v to keep stability, whereas 2.4 or lower and it runs ok at 1.40. I can reach 2.6 with 1.60v, and past that voltage stops helping and I just simply need better cooling if I were to ever get higher. Theres always a certain point that you just cant get past, regardless of what you do. You almost 100% surely can run the 10x multiplier and be perfectly fine.

QFT.
 
i have DFI nf4 board, AMD64 3200+ and Patriot DDR400 (1 x 512)

i got my cpu to 2500 when i play FEAR, the pc just crash or freeze.
 
Back
Top