A64 or Intel P4C

M3at

Limp Gawd
well..I've sold my gear and have enough money for something up in the neigborhood of 370$ All I need is motherboard,cpu, and heatsink/fan.

I was considering the A643000+ or the A643200+
I want to be able to overclock and get around or beyond 3400+ speeds.

Or,
I was considering going with an Intel P4 2.8c and an abit IC7 board and overclocking it as far as I could. My only concern is, would I buying into old technology?

The system I buy now, will eventually go to my wife so I plan on having it for over 2 years, meaning, once s939 has settled in, I'll upgrade to that and give my wife the s754. (right now she's on a t-bird1.33)

I'm leaning towards s754 and one of the above listed cpus for s754. Which one oc's further and gives the best overall performance/price ratio?

I do game, I also do photoshop work and web development work as well. I'm thinking A64 3000+.

Go with the AMD setup. If you overclock it should be faster and will last you a while longer than the Intel setup.

clem409 said:
What's going to happen in 40 minutes?hehe : :D

NDA expires on Socket 939 and maybe a few reviews will come out ;)
Too bad I couldn't see the benchies before the NDA expired like on the 6800 Ultra :D

Dare I say [H] will have a review up? :cool:

Go with a 62W Mobile A64 3000+ or 3200+ (ClawHammer w/ 1MB L2 cache). Mobiles have CG steppings and this one has 1.4V stock Vcore for great oc'ing. Given right cooling and ram and mobo, 2.5GHz should be attainable easily.

Look at how the ClawHammer @ 2.5GHz decimated the Newcastle @ 2.5GHz...
http://www.xtremeresources.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31884

35W Mobile Newcastles will oc better but don't scale as well.

i'd say you go for the A64, its better than the P4C in most apps and games except for video encoding

so the a64 mobile will work in any desktop board such as chaintech nforce3 250?

DaveX said:
NDA expires on Socket 939 and maybe a few reviews will come out ;)
Too bad I couldn't see the benchies before the NDA expired like on the 6800 Ultra :D

Dare I say [H] will have a review up? :cool:

Go with a 62W Mobile A64 3000+ or 3200+ (ClawHammer w/ 1MB L2 cache). Mobiles have CG steppings and this one has 1.4V stock Vcore for great oc'ing. Given right cooling and ram and mobo, 2.5GHz should be attainable easily.

Look at how the ClawHammer @ 2.5GHz decimated the Newcastle @ 2.5GHz...
http://www.xtremeresources.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31884

35W Mobile Newcastles will oc better but don't scale as well.
According to AMD, the stock speed for that mobile a64 is 1.5 (just like the desktop). Also, another commoen misconception -- CG is not a stepping! It's a revision; the last letter of the product info string on your CPU will determine the revision. I think, R=revision CG; not sure what letter though. And Mobiles are no longer the only ones that have revision CG; my new ADA3200 is also revision CG. A lot of things happened in two weeks, eh?

Take a look. Mobile? Mobile. CG? No CG. It does have R at the end of the product info string; so I was right about the letter, after all :). So does my desktop chip; I checked a couple minutes ago. For some reason they are also the same stepping.

You are right about the voltage, though, I thought you were talking about the DTR chips...

DTR's run at 1.5V, Mobile ClawHammers run at 1.4V and Mobile Newcastles run at 1.2V. CG is a revision since they changed the memory controller a bit. Saying stepping instead of revision is no big deal. If I remember correctly, CG Newcastles have AX at the end, CG ClawHammers have AR at the end, and C0 A64's have AP at the end. Or on the IHS it can just say something like, "revision sh7-cg" which means CG.

Yes, but the stepping is a different thing. My revision is CG, and steppingis CAAPC.

Why does it matter if people know what you are talking about? It's like arguing over ketchup and catsup.

M4d-K10wN said:
Luckily, I do; but if I didn't i'd be misinformed by you.

Ok...dumb people here abound aplenty so I will say "revision" here. Over at XR and OCForums I will continue to say stepping...

Back