• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A64 + 6800GT Slowing down !!!

Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
22
I think this section is the correct one for my question.

I have a Winnie 3200+ o'cloked to 2.4ghz (stable with Super Pi, Prime95 all day)
OCZ El 2,3,3,6 at 200mhz (memtest clear multiple loops)
6800GT o'clocked to 400/1.1 (stable 3dmark05, multiple loops)

Question is,

I am playing CS:S or Doom3. Everything is beautiful and super smooth but after 1hr or so, suddenly things become jerky. (kinda like you are having a lag during Net play)

I run a quick CS:S stress test and start getting around 67fps while before I was averaging a solid 109 fps.

I run 3dMark05 and get a whopping 3818. WTF??? I was getting a constant ~5200

My cpu is watercooled so temps are excellent (27 idle/33 load)
My GPU is air cooled (stock) (46 idle/57load)

Someone told me that it could be my power supply. there must be some inconsistencies that is causing my rig to suddenly slow down and act like molasses.

My PS is Allied Aluminum Power supply
I checked many review sites and got pretty good review but I can't think of anything else that may be causing this slow down.

What do you think?? Can PS cause my computer to slow down like that? I thought if PS was not good enough, computer would crash.

Please help
 
Check your page file size. I have pretty much made is a normal procedure to set my machines to 3Gig for the minimum PF and 4Gig for the max size. That way when I play game for a while the background programs that arent used can go somewhere instead of taking up valuable ram. Altho i know 3 and 4 gig is OVERKILL, I have the space and do it just in case of a memory leak, might yeild me some extra time to correct before system crash. That and Lineage 2 takes up around 1 gig PF after playing for around 5 hours straight.
Also just for kicks set everything to stock and see if you have the same slowdown results...
 
videogamer323 said:
Check your page file size. I have pretty much made is a normal procedure to set my machines to 3Gig for the minimum PF and 4Gig for the max size. That way when I play game for a while the background programs that arent used can go somewhere instead of taking up valuable ram. Altho i know 3 and 4 gig is OVERKILL, I have the space and do it just in case of a memory leak, might yeild me some extra time to correct before system crash. That and Lineage 2 takes up around 1 gig PF after playing for around 5 hours straight.
Also just for kicks set everything to stock and see if you have the same slowdown results...


Reverted back to stock and it still does the same thing. Anything else I should try?
 
tasteestuff said:
I think this section is the correct one for my question.

I have a Winnie 3200+ o'cloked to 2.4ghz (stable with Super Pi, Prime95 all day)
OCZ El 2,3,3,6 at 200mhz (memtest clear multiple loops)
6800GT o'clocked to 400/1.1 (stable 3dmark05, multiple loops)

Question is,

I am playing CS:S or Doom3. Everything is beautiful and super smooth but after 1hr or so, suddenly things become jerky. (kinda like you are having a lag during Net play)

I run a quick CS:S stress test and start getting around 67fps while before I was averaging a solid 109 fps.

I run 3dMark05 and get a whopping 3818. WTF??? I was getting a constant ~5200

My cpu is watercooled so temps are excellent (27 idle/33 load)
My GPU is air cooled (stock) (46 idle/57load)

Someone told me that it could be my power supply. there must be some inconsistencies that is causing my rig to suddenly slow down and act like molasses.

My PS is Allied Aluminum Power supply
I checked many review sites and got pretty good review but I can't think of anything else that may be causing this slow down.

What do you think?? Can PS cause my computer to slow down like that? I thought if PS was not good enough, computer would crash.

Please help

did you try differ drivers? use the XG drivers their fast and IQ is really good I use the 76.41XG I get about 5400 in 3dmark 05 , my GT @ 400/1100 aswell.
 
I would also Defrag. I would update your Bios and get the newest Motherboard drivers too. Just for S&G
 
I placed this question on Extremeoverclocking.com forum as well and it seems to me that more than 80% think it is caused by my power supply.

So, I went ahead and ordered OCZ powerstream 520W

I hope this solves my problems.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. BTW, I do defrag at least 1x/week and I checked my page file and they were are fine.

I will update you guys after changing my Power supply.
 
If you can't find it in the bios, then look in the motherboard manual. If not in there, you don't have it :p
 
How hot is the video card getting? Are you sure it is not thermal throttling on the 6800gt?
 
tasteestuff said:
My cpu is watercooled so temps are excellent (27 idle/33 load)
My GPU is air cooled (stock) (46 idle/57load)

I really don't think it's thermal throtting since my temps are pretty good.
 
you know, i really shouldnt have upgraded from my nf2ultra/barton 3200.

It feels slower, and no soundstorm to boot. :(
 
rain183xx said:
=\ ... so does anybody know if his problem was resolved? Did getting a new PSU work?
looks like he got a new board.

gigabyte = crap.

and if it feels slower, there is definatly something wrong with the setup. my a64 is faster in everything than my 2.4ghz barton was, and they have the same clock speeds
 
+12V @ 20A

That may be the culprit. You should always get PSUs with 25A or more on the +12V rail. I learned this from frying my motherboard back in the P3 days.
 
Sorry for the late reply.

I am anxiously waiting for FEDEX guy to arrive with my OCZ powerstream 520W. I will keep you guys posted.
 
I had a maddog psu. I took it back to crapusa a week or so later. Got money back. Bought antec. happy.
 
vbp6us said:
That may be the culprit. You should always get PSUs with 25A or more on the +12V rail. I learned this from frying my motherboard back in the P3 days.
um... yeah... p3's didnt draw power off the 12v... in fact, nothing but drives drew from the 12v in teh p3 days...

edit: in fact, the processor in your current rig doesnt even draw from teh 12v
 
My bet would have been on the power supply as well, considering the cpu and gpu are water cooled and the temps are good.

There is a posibility that due to not having a fan on the GPU that something else on the card is overheating, ram, caps, fet's or that little heatsink on the fet's isn't cutting it without some airflow over it.
 
I'm going to be putting in a new PSU as well, a 480w Antec. Hopefully it does the trick.. hopefully the new PSU will work for you as well
 
rain183xx said:
I'm going to be putting in a new PSU as well, a 480w Antec. Hopefully it does the trick.. hopefully the new PSU will work for you as well
Can you post when you have everything put in. I'm curious to know whether or not you fixed your problem, as I have a similar one.
I only play CS:S on one server, a 2person Office server where I ping about 60-70. My FPS on the rig in my sig is usually between 20-120fps, averaging around 55-60fps. It just seems fairly low for my rig. And the weirdest thing is, I usually play at 1280x1024 with recommended game settings including 4xAA and 8xAF. But even when I lower all the setting to minimum, and like 800x600 with no AA or AF, I get the EXACT same framerates. It just doesn't make sense.

If it was my CPU or video card, you'd think that the framerates would increase by at least 30-50%.
 
I am having similar problems with Battlefield Vietnam. Lags like a mother, even in singleplayer. I upgraded from a 9800pro to a 6800gt and its still there.

Whats interesting is I have the same mobo.... Gigabyte K8NS-939

hmmm...
 
In WoW w/o the settings even turned all the way up, using the 6800GT now I am not getting as good of graphics as I was with my AIW 9800 Pro : (

I mean they look good when I am not moving and some of the time, but when I run around the screen will go to a lighter shade and sometimes environment in the distance will reshade itself VERY slowly.

Not sure what I need to do fix this. Card is running stock speeds and I have a good power supply. I have the latest Final Release Drivers also.

Any ideas?
 
For the two ppl in this thread with the same problem. I'd like to become the third!
I upgraded from a 3000+ barton with an NF7s V2 to an A64 3200+ @2.4 w/ K8N Neo2 Plat with the same BFG 6800 GT. My 3dmark05 went from 5099 to mid 4k. I Also have water cooling on my CPU, NV5 on my GT, Temps are great. PSU is GREAT. Voltages check out and are fine. Dont understand why the slow down.
 
Mojo said:
Can you post when you have everything put in. I'm curious to know whether or not you fixed your problem, as I have a similar one.
I only play CS:S on one server, a 2person Office server where I ping about 60-70. My FPS on the rig in my sig is usually between 20-120fps, averaging around 55-60fps. It just seems fairly low for my rig. And the weirdest thing is, I usually play at 1280x1024 with recommended game settings including 4xAA and 8xAF. But even when I lower all the setting to minimum, and like 800x600 with no AA or AF, I get the EXACT same framerates. It just doesn't make sense.

If it was my CPU or video card, you'd think that the framerates would increase by at least 30-50%.

I have this same problem. Seems to have started sometime after March 31st (when I installed the new splinter cell). Before this, cs:s never dropped below 70-80fps ever.
I can change all the settings: res, af, aa, textures, shadows, etc... even force no aa/af in the nv control panel and with rivatuner. Overclocked (412 / 1.12) or stock I still get the same framerates, and video lag when someone is mid/close range shooting at me.

I just tried a brand new 6800gt (another Leadtek), get the same problem so I know its not the card. I have reformatted and installed windows (xp pro sp1 and sp2). Defragged, tried several versions of drivers from the nvidia ftp and some tweaked drivers as well. Heat is also not a problem. The card never goes over 63c. The motherboard is also new so that should not be a problem (had the same one in it before, and it was doing the samething, but the mobo had to be rma'ed for other reasons).

Only thing I found to help is using rivatuner to turn off the pixel and vertex shaders.

System specs:
P4 3.0ghz @ 3.3ghz 42c under load
1GB Kingston Hyper-X 3200
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Leadtek 6800gt A400-GT x8 agp
2x 36gb WD Raptors in raid 0
Audigy2 zs
Antec Trupower 550w psu
 
vsync off or on, doesn't matter. Just means the fps drop is even bigger. My monitor is at 100hz in 1024x768.


I get the same problem in another computer as well.

P4 3.2E
Abit IC7-G
1gb cosair value ram
Leadtek 6800gt
200gb wd hdd
480w psu
winxp sp2
 
Back
Top