A64 3000+ Overclocking Question

I am new to overclocking Athlon64's so bare with me. I have a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D motherboard. I was trying to find the max of my "FSB" (HTT if I'm not mistaken) and I only reached 258MHz. I was reading somewhere that you should get at LEAST 250, or you're doing something wrong. Does this FSB/HTT freq sound a little low? Or am I paranoid?

i need to update that guide.. instead of using clockgen, try this:

drop cpu multi to ~5-6x
change ht link multi to 2.5x
drop memory ratio to 100mhz, leave all other memory settings at stock (mostly auto)

enable memtest, make sure you can boot

bump up htt from 200mhz to 225mhz

1. go into memtest
2. if it boots fine and makes it through tests one and two, exit, go into the bios, bump up htt another 25mhz and repeat from step 1. if not...
3. hold down insert when turning on system to boot with optimized defaults. lower the htt to the last thing that worked, and make 1mhz bumps until it doesn't boot. remember the speed ~10-15mhz below that. it should be in the upper 300's to 400's for a dfi. i've actually yet to own a dfi that could not break 430mhz with a little coaxing ;)

Rysher: I had already read that, I was actually using that guide to overclock with.

Eclipse: Thanks for the quick reply. I know you're the overclocking guru around these parts, so if there is anyone who can help me it's you. I'll get to checking out your posted method tonight and I'll let you know how it goes.

Okay, I upped the FSB to 310 without getting errors on the first two memtest. From what you've said, I still feel like I'm not getting all that I can out of the processor. Any other suggestions?

I have the same board you have and i have my opteron 148 at 255 right now with no problems at all. If your system begins to crash after that, try doing a RAM ratio of 9/10 or something close to that. I am using a 9/10 ratio right now because anything above 250 was causing my system to crash almost instantly after windows loaded.

You should be able to reach 300 easy with that board, its a great board the only limiter will probably be your processor and RAM. Make sure you have good RAM. Im using Corsair XMS PC3200. Im gunna try to get some PC4000 in the near future so i dont have to use a RAM ratio. Even though my board only takes PC3200. The extra speed tollerance on the PC4000 will allow for a better overclock i think

[Food] Food-Giant said:
Okay, I upped the FSB to 310 without getting errors on the first two memtest. From what you've said, I still feel like I'm not getting all that I can out of the processor. Any other suggestions?
which bios are you using? i *really* like 11-14 :D

in the memory options, try changing the dram response time.. perhaps to "slow"?

just out of curiosity, mind listing the important things in your rig? ;)

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
AMD 3000+ "Winchester" 1.8GHz stock speed
2x 512MB DDR400 (PC3200) Corsair Value Select RAM

I don't know what BIOS version I'm useing, but I'll get that 11-14 bios tonight and see what I can do with it. Again, thanks for the help. I really want to get this right. My roommate got a 600Mhz overclock from a MSI mobo and I wanted to beat him :mad: :)

ah, the winchester *may* be part of the reason that you're not hitting higher mhz. while the board has a lot to do with the highest htt speed that can be obtained, the cpu has a limitation in it. take my old dfi nf3-250gb for example. with a 3200+ clawhammer in it, i couldn't get over 315mhz, but when i put in a 3700+ newark, 433mhz was doable :eek:

and besides, 310mhz is high enough. with the 3200+, that means you have the potential to hit 3100mhz. doesn't mean that your cpu is up to the task, but that's how high you can go before the htt stops you :D

so, what i would do now, is boot at like 205mhz, and in windows, while running sp2004 or prime95, use clockgen to bump up the mhz a few mhz every little bit. though it'll take you some extra time, i think it's nice to know how the cpu scales with voltage, so know how it does at stock voltage (1.4v), 1.45v, 1.5, 1.55, 1.6v etc... and stop when you feel that temperatures are getting out of hand. i think 50-55c load should be the highest you go, or 1.6-1.65v, whichever comes first :)

when done, you'll end up having a chart that looks something like this:
(yes, i go overboard and start all the way down at 1.075v :p)
1_77.png

Back