• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A5's with Onboard Sound?

FMX

Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
574
I am considering buying a set of Audioengine's A5 speakers.

Previously I had a $1000 Polk + Denon setup that I really liked, but I didn't like the amount of space it consumed. I will have plenty of room for the A5's, and I think they will suit me just fine.

The question is, should I upgrade my soundcard to drive these or will they sound fine with my onboard Realtek ALC892? I assume the correct terminology here is the speakers will be dependent upon the DAC on the card, correct? If so, would an external DAC like the uDAC2 help me leaps and bounds?

Also, are there any better speakers for the price that you guys would recommend?
 
Audioengine gives you 30 days to try em out, so give it a shot before you buy anything else.

Personally, I could tell the difference right away with a good soundcard DAC even with my old set of ProMedia 2.1. It's mostly subjective here. You may like the sound of one DAC over another, regardless of quality.

The next model up, the A5+ is a bit more versatile, as it has a variable subwoofer out. This means you can add a powered sub and the speaker volume knob will also adjust the sub volume. Might be worth checking out.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top