A10-7850K + Asus A88X Pro

OhSnapWord

n00b
Hi guys,

I'm treading into uncharted waters with overclocking Kaveri. I have had great success pushing Vishera, but Kaveri is proving to be a challenge.

I have the CPU at 4.3GHz on 1.4v. This isn't the final voltage as it is hard locking. I keep inching it up after it locks. CPU and NB LLC are set to Extreme. RAM is stock at 2133.

The problem I'm having is that the CPU is throttling to 3.5GHz when I'm running prime95. The CPU is cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper TX3. The case is a 14 year old Aopen case. I added 120mm fans to the front and bottom for intake and a 92mm fan as exhaust.

HWiNFO64 reports my load temps as follows:

CPU 0: 50c
CPU 0 Package: 99c

If that CPU 0 Package temp is any kind of accurate, I think that's where my issue is. My question is, is it accurate?

What kind of advice can you guys offer me?

Hi guys,

I'm treading into uncharted waters with overclocking Kaveri. I have had great success pushing Vishera, but Kaveri is proving to be a challenge.

I have the CPU at 4.3GHz on 1.4v. This isn't the final voltage as it is hard locking. I keep inching it up after it locks. CPU and NB LLC are set to Extreme. RAM is stock at 2133.

The problem I'm having is that the CPU is throttling to 3.5GHz when I'm running prime95. The CPU is cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper TX3. The case is a 14 year old Aopen case. I added 120mm fans to the front and bottom for intake and a 92mm fan as exhaust.

HWiNFO64 reports my load temps as follows:

CPU 0: 50c
CPU 0 Package: 99c

If that CPU 0 Package temp is any kind of accurate, I think that's where my issue is. My question is, is it accurate?

What kind of advice can you guys offer me?
get a reliable temp reading on the cpu 99c is beyond too high that would be cpu death levels and i got mine higher without a voltage bump... i think 4.8ghz was where mine was on the stock cooler i did not like doing that high on the shitty stock heatsink so i put it back to stock.

are you push/pulling with the hyper tx3? on my 7850k build i couldn't manage more than 4.3ghz stressed but i think part of the problem was that the mobo i used didn't allow me to hard lock cpu voltages. i cooled my apu with a cooler master seidon 120v. the tx3 with only one fan may not be sufficient.

I have the fan set as pull. I experimented with push and pull and found no difference. I went with pull because it doesn't obstruct the RAM slots.

1.4v should be more than enough to achieve 4.3ghz stressed without throttling as long as you have sufficient cooling. try speecy as a monitoring utility as it may give more accurate readings, or possibly the asus mobo overclocking utility. accurate apu temp readings tend to be pretty hit and miss requiring the user to try out different software. you're probably going to need a better cooler, too. sometimes you can exceed the absorption capacity of a heatsink, to where it doesn't mater how many fans you use.

At idle, Speccy shows temps all over the place, jumping between 50 & 60.

Here are my idle temps reported by Speccy and HWiNFO64.

http://i.imgur.com/nmas99Z.png

Let me know if I'm going crazy or if this looks good.

EDIT: Even at idle, the CPU keeps dropping to 3.5 for a second or so.

the only time a drop in clock is worrisome is when its sustained and during stress testing. it means you are at a stable operating voltage, but excessive heat is causing the cpu to down clock to prevent failing. considering your cooling setup, i'm betting 50'c is pretty accurate. you're going to need better cooling to get sustained 4.3ghz performance or to attempt to go higher.

I think I got it dialed in. Been running prime95 with no throttling, CPU temp is hovering at 55 under load and is rock solid at 4.3.

I installed AI Suite 3 and let it configure the fans for me. I guess they were drawing in too much air and not enough exhaust. When I started with this old case, there was only a mount up front for a single 80mm fan. Even with the added fans, there is much to be desired in terms of ventilation.

great. when you have insufficient exhaust, especially in cases without top fan ports for natural extraction, air just tumbles inside the case. for air cooled systems i always defer to more negative pressure than less. the computer requires more cleaning, but the system runs cooler.

Back