A10-5800K vs I5-3470 Game Showdown

Ehhh, im not very excited. What does this chip do that the 3870k cant? the 3870 is $89 last time i checked. If you want more power, then dont waste an extra $60 on the 5800, use it towards a dedicated GPU like a 7850 or a used GTX 470.

edit: i just glanced over the review, i was actually surprised how close it was to the I5 in battlefield 3, i thought that was one of the few games that catered to more cores, since the 5800k is two module / sharing resources i thought it would show a performance hit. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Ehhh, im not very excited. What does this chip do that the 3870k cant? the 3870 is $89 last time i checked. If you want more power, then dont waste an extra $60 on the 5800, use it towards a dedicated GPU like a 7850 or a used GTX 470.

edit: i just glanced over the review, i was actually surprised how close it was to the I5 in battlefield 3, i thought that was one of the few games that catered to more cores, since the 5800k is two module / sharing resources i thought it would show a performance hit. Hmmm...

I'm more interested in the better GPU personally. From the previews it seems to be much better so far, not to mention the higher overclock capability on the GPU and CPU. If I do get this it will be my secondary system, really just want to mess around with it as opposed to playing games.

FM1 is dead keep in mind. AMD is going to keep FM2 longer, so you can probably drop in the steam roller APU with the 512 GCN core GPU. That will be a decent boost in performance.

Let's look at that glorius performance in games:

amd_apu_a10_5800_wykres_13.png

amd_apu_a10_5800_wykres_14.png

amd_apu_a10_5800_wykres_15.png

amd_apu_a10_5800_wykres_16.png

amd_apu_a10_5800_wykres_17.png

What dedicated card does half of those use? cause those intel ones are def not running on the shitty hd4000

TB & TC is the build in turbo for the given CPU.

I figured that, just seems strange everyone knows the APU strength is the GPU not sure why everyone is hating on the 120 dollar system that is pretty nice.

Because GPU in APU is pointless once you get $70+ dedicated card

HD6850 is going for 140$ on newegg right now, but point taken.

The general consensus seems to be that Trinity is the king if you do not plan on using 100$ on a dedicated GPU. If you plan on buying a dedicated GPU you will go with intel, but that adds about 100$ to the budget, and of you are looking at 100$ CPU's odds are you don't have a lot of money to burn on the GPU.

Back