a

• Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date
Had everything updated by 11am EST. Played AC4 a bit, and then the update installed for ac4, now to figure how to do true 1080p.

Playing AC4 with the iPad companion app is pretty sweet.

ac4companion.jpg

Played BF4 and I'm very impressed.....does anybody know how to fully install games like BF4 or are games like that just partially installed automatically with no option to fully install?

Woooo. Spent the whole day at work reading about hardware issues and I was getting worried that it would happen to me when I get home...

Got it up and running with no issues. Update went smooth via USB. The OS is an improvement! I'm surprised how smooth it is going back and forth from a game to the home menu. So far killzone looks great and the gameplay is okay. DS4 Controller is perfect. Taking a break while my 2yo tests Netflix ;)

One issue I have is that the system is wobbly on a flat surface .... Wtf lol

So far so good. Liking the system a lot. The OS feels a ton smoother than the PS3 which is nice. Also the console as a whole feels smoother in game. The SSD probably helps but I noticed especially in Madden that menus and transitions are just a lot smoother than they were on the 360. Frame rate is better too.

For the first day I definitely enjoyed it.

After a couple of hours:
The new HDD installation was super easy. But you had to put the update on a USB stick or it asked you to do it before it could do anything. I got the latest bios a day or so ago in preparation so it went smoothly. But I don't think it lets you change the HDD without using the USB stick with a firmware 1.01 or greater on it.

PSN took forever to connect too, it went down for a while so I was waiting around. Couldn't connect my tablet or Vita till I could log into PSN.

I played Injustice and Killzone, KZ is pretty good and I played for a while. I only played a little of Injustice, but it looks good. Love the DS4 controller. Only touched the Vita remote play stuff a little, but it's interesting to see the PS4 games on the little screen.

I haven't put in Knack yet. I will give it a try in a little bit.

The installations must have been done in the background, because it was real fast to start for me, but then again I was swapping out the discs the whole time I was trying to connect to PSN.

Overall it's a very nice console :).

Did anyone get a random system freeze while either online browsing PSN or some random game update? I hate to hold the power button to force shutdown

I've been pro-PC for the longest time but I grew tired of the capex, opex and hassle. Budget $400 for video card upgrade or $400 game console. Decided on the PS4 which is my first console and I'm digging it so far. Didn't want to be caught in the first day download swarm so had my USB key with v1.5 update well in advance and it went without a hitch. Primarily wanted BF4 but they ran out but found another Target to exchange CoD Ghosts for it. Took advantage of buy two get one free and ended up with BF4 (favorite so far), FIFA 14 and AC4. Seems like the only other game worth getting for now is NBA 2K14. Not sure about CoD Ghosts and Kill Zone after watching the live streams. Want GTA V.

Poor people? Me and friend did the SAME exact thing. Who the hell wants to play Ghosts on a shitty console controller when they can play it with KB/M? The PS4 has been awesome so far, but it ain't that awesome...it's still a console. :p

And let's face it, there isn't much to do with the PS4 right now.

Who the hell wants to play shitty Ghosts, period?

I've only played Resogun, Warframe, and Killzone.

Killzone looks pretty fucking amazing, Resogun is a ton of fun, and Warframe is okay but I haven't really put in too much time into it.

I'm very happy with my purchase, I need to get some more games for it soon.

So far the only issue I've had with my PS4 is that it kept freezing (as in had to pull the plug frozen) while trying to watch a Blu-ray. Not sure if this is something that could be resolved with a firmware update or if it's indicative of bad hardware. :confused:

Love it so far. THANK GOD ITS SILENT. My old slim was like an airplane engine. Only have Fifa 14 atm but I can say without a doubt the ps4 takes the game to a whole new level. Excited for more to come :)

I still have both of mine sitting in the box hahaha. I dont really have the excitement I used to have, probably because Killzone the only exclusive looks pretty meh to me already. I got BF4 and COD as well but everything seems so underwhelming.

I got mine in the box still..if a decent game doesn't not come out in the next couple months will Ebay. FYI kudos goes to Walmart.. shipped this thing super fast delivered it this morning.

Disappointing:

cant play mkv, 3d blu rays,
Mp3 and cds (lol?) I just read will be forthcoming

I got mine in the box still..if a decent game doesn't not come out in the next couple months will Ebay. FYI kudos goes to Walmart.. shipped this thing super fast delivered it this morning.

Disappointing:

cant play mkv, 3d blu rays,
Mp3 and cds (lol?) I just read will be forthcoming

Why did you buy it if you felt there were not any decent games worth buying? I'm going to guess you bought it so you could Ebay it during the Christmas season but since there is actually extra stock to go around you are going to hang onto it for now? Not trying to be rude just curious.

It was well known it couldn't do DLNA streaming in advance. They've already confirmed that DLNA support is coming in a future patch.

It's either BF4 or Ghosts, but both blow total ass on a console. AC4 and the rest, they're great.

BF4 is actually pretty damn nice looking on the PS4. I have the PC version and got a chance to play the PS4 version today and I've got to say that even though its not native 1080p , for the vast majority of people that want to play it (outside enthusiast PC gamers with deep pockets) its excellent on the PS4.

I'm really surprised how great native 1080p games look on the PS4.

NBA 2K14 is the best looking game on the PS4. Its looks so good that if you were passing by someone playing it .. you wouldn't know it was a video game until you actually saw either someone with a controller pointed at the TV or stopped and really looked at the screen.

Its shocking how awesome it looks.

Ps4 has a glaring problem!

The stupid light bar extremely annoying if you have a projector.

I'm really surprised how great native 1080p games look on the PS4.

NBA 2K14 is the best looking game on the PS4. Its looks so good that if you were passing by someone playing it .. you wouldn't know it was a video game until you actually saw either someone with a controller pointed at the TV or stopped and really looked at the screen.

Its shocking how awesome it looks.

This gave me a chub.

You get a free month of playstation plus for ONLINE PLAY but you have to pay just to PLAY ONLINE which kinda sucks since PS3 had free online I only used the online for demon souls dark souls and borderlands.....

Really don't want to sub to this service I might try it for a few games and break it off.
49.00 is way too much for a year. It should be like 29.00.

See you are paying for the free to play games they offer is what you are paying for or bandwidth maybe.

The UI is pretty nice, as expected plenty of updates. Finally got in to PSN when it came back up, so I'll try that for a while. I don't mind paying $50/yr if its cheap and maybe there will be some BF deals on cards.

Finished Injustice and I'll know that's going to be fun to play with kids.
Tried some Killzone and it looked awesome. Will pick that up again today and then try some BF4. Now I want to try NBA2K14.

So far I think it's quieter than my PS3, which is still hooked up. I like that it came with an HDMI cable, but then the extra controller didn't come with a USB cable and I was like wtf.

Last edited:
Nba 2k14 is the best looking game I've seen so far. Its a huge difference between the ps3 version and ps4 version

I have a PJ and the light doesn't bother me

How serious are you about your projector setup (ambient light isolation and such)? I'm playing on a plasma and the stupid light on the controller is driving me nuts. Covering it with my hand makes a very noticeable difference in light projected onto my TV. I can only imagine how awful it would be with a projector. I'm considering picking up some black vinyl sheet and cutting out a piece to cover the light bar since there's no option to disable it.

How serious are you about your projector setup (ambient light isolation and such)? I'm playing on a plasma and the stupid light on the controller is driving me nuts. Covering it with my hand makes a very noticeable difference in light projected onto my TV. I can only imagine how awful it would be with a projector. I'm considering picking up some black vinyl sheet and cutting out a piece to cover the light bar since there's no option to disable it.

I'm somewhat serious about my HT. I have a Acer H5360 3D Projector with a 110" screen. I sit about 13ft away from the screen so the light doesnt really bother anything.

Anyone going to take advantage of Target's last day of buy two get one free? Thinking about picking up NBA 2K14, NFS Rivals and one other to exchange within 90 day for a newer/better release.

You get a free month of playstation plus for ONLINE PLAY but you have to pay just to PLAY ONLINE which kinda sucks since PS3 had free online I only used the online for demon souls dark souls and borderlands.....

Really don't want to sub to this service I might try it for a few games and break it off.
49.00 is way too much for a year. It should be like 29.00.

See you are paying for the free to play games they offer is what you are paying for or bandwidth maybe.

Wait for BF it will be $30 I forgot where, look it up on slickdeals. It offers way more than just online play, you get discounts on games and lots and lots of games every month. Just like you get resogun and contrast right now. I believe Driveclub will still be free with PS plus when it comes out. I actually got a lot more games than I was thinking that I actually played with PS plus. Made my PS Vita actually worth it.

The os is meh and glitchy. Only played killzone thus far and it looks good gameplay is also ok not great.

Still hate the controller. The trigger placement is why ive always avoided shooters on the ps4 and its still just as awkward

The os is meh and glitchy. Only played killzone thus far and it looks good gameplay is also ok not great.

Still hate the controller. The trigger placement is why ive always avoided shooters on the ps4 and its still just as awkward

I absolutely LOVE the DS4. Especially compared to the DS3. Feels great, thumbsticks own, and the triggers are perfect. And this is coming from someone who has always sworn by the 360 controller.

So I opened up my Amazon launch edition last night and fired it up. Some bullet points.
  • I disagree with the "cheap" comments. it's the same plastic console standards that have been around for years. No significant flex, no noise. More solid than my Xbox360 Slim.
  • I don't believe it can browse network shares - or I haven't figured it out yet. I knew it wouldn't stream movies and MP3s right out of the gate - but I was expecting some basic network connectivity, and maybe some picture / media browsing capabilities. Maybe in a future patch. Maybe I just need to stop being noob.
  • The web browser is much improved over other consoles I've used. Not anything fantastic - but it gets the job done. I REALLY wanted it to handle my synology NAS's audio station web interface so I can stream FLAC files over it. But alas, it cannot perform the double click necessary in that interface.
  • Menus are snappy and not filled with advertisements. Much better IMO than Microsoft's interface of late.
  • I love that it connects with an HDMI cable and a little power cord. BOOM done - no brick, no bulky wires, no external $100 wireless adapters snapping on the back. Really well done in an age where external transformers and bulky crap is the norm.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about the new controller. I like it's size. The pad seems gimmicky, maybe it'll get used better in the future. The joysticks are almost too sensitive for me, but I bet a lot of people will like that. The D pad is awesomesauce though. Possibly the best one ever.
  • The micro usb cable is too short. I can't charge and play from my couch - going to need to get a longer one. Its nice that it's just a regular cable though.
  • The unit will not see my wireless N network. Everything else sees it (3 phones, 2 laptops, ipad, guests) Not sure why this isn't working. Wondering if it's broke. 80211 b works fine.
  • Does not run hot at all. Top back of the unit gets warm to the touch - but nowhere near hot - or anywhere near the Xbox 360.

Overall, I like the console. If I can get the wireless N working, and I get some way to stream pictures and flac files (either natively or via a web broswer double click improvement) it'll probably be the best console I've ever owned. Right now, with no killer titles IMO - it's a neat toy, but can't top my PC ;)

So I opened up my Amazon launch edition last night and fired it up. Some bullet points.
  • I disagree with the "cheap" comments. it's the same plastic console standards that have been around for years. No significant flex, no noise. More solid than my Xbox360 Slim.
  • I don't believe it can browse network shares - or I haven't figured it out yet. I knew it wouldn't stream movies and MP3s right out of the gate - but I was expecting some basic network connectivity, and maybe some picture / media browsing capabilities. Maybe in a future patch. Maybe I just need to stop being noob.
  • The web browser is much improved over other consoles I've used. Not anything fantastic - but it gets the job done. I REALLY wanted it to handle my synology NAS's audio station web interface so I can stream FLAC files over it. But alas, it cannot perform the double click necessary in that interface.
  • Menus are snappy and not filled with advertisements. Much better IMO than Microsoft's interface of late.
  • I love that it connects with an HDMI cable and a little power cord. BOOM done - no brick, no bulky wires, no external $100 wireless adapters snapping on the back. Really well done in an age where external transformers and bulky crap is the norm.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about the new controller. I like it's size. The pad seems gimmicky, maybe it'll get used better in the future. The joysticks are almost too sensitive for me, but I bet a lot of people will like that. The D pad is awesomesauce though. Possibly the best one ever.
  • The micro usb cable is too short. I can't charge and play from my couch - going to need to get a longer one. Its nice that it's just a regular cable though.
  • The unit will not see my wireless N network. Everything else sees it (3 phones, 2 laptops, ipad, guests) Not sure why this isn't working. Wondering if it's broke. 80211 b works fine.
  • Does not run hot at all. Top back of the unit gets warm to the touch - but nowhere near hot - or anywhere near the Xbox 360.

Overall, I like the console. If I can get the wireless N working, and I get some way to stream pictures and flac files (either natively or via a web broswer double click improvement) it'll probably be the best console I've ever owned. Right now, with no killer titles IMO - it's a neat toy, but can't top my PC ;)

i can't see my wireless N network either?

Back