• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

a

  • Thread starter Deleted member 104402
  • Start date

Non-Gamers: Are You Upgrading to Sandy Bridge?


  • Total voters
    44
D

Deleted member 104402

Guest
aa
 
Last edited by a moderator:
At 1.2v and OCed to 4.2GHz (until I get
confirmation of stable values), I idle at 32-35 and load at 53-57 in P95. Drops to 30-32 idle whem I allow speedstep to throttle. This is an excellent reason to
upgrade (not benched by me but 4.2 gets 8.15):
92614739409d.jpg
.
 
Why-building new system anyway and want it to be good for long time. Also, I might start some gaming since I dont right now due to POOR graphics. (before someone says put in new card, its a laptop.)
 
Undecided: Because I'm not planning on building until the summer, I'm going to be waiting it out to see if I want to do Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer (basically depends on what's good in my price range)
 
I’m not, because the next 8-core SB chips is what I think will help me take my revenge from all the new folders who mowed me recently.
 
Yes, I havn't been able to play any decent or new games on my PC in years. A newer video card helped a bit but there is no getting around a P4 being ancient in the PC world.

I’m not, because the next 8-core SB chips is what I think will help me take my revenge from all the new folders who mowed me recently.

You might be better off buying a used PS3 then. If you only use it for folding then one with a broken BD drive that still runs should be in cheaper.
 
You might be better off buying a used PS3 then. If you only use it for folding then one with a broken BD drive that still runs should be in cheaper.

Lol, the PS3 doesn't even compare these days, especially with those competitive in folding..

PS3 folding PPD = ~900
HT quad core with bigadv @ 4.2+ = upwards of 25,000PPD w/ bonus points

it still remains to be seen what sandy will be able to do in terms of folding, but it is almost guaranteed that it will be quicker than current i7s
 
I may get one depending on the cost. I mean if I can get a 2600K + quality motherboard for $200 to $300 total cost after selling my i7 920 and EVGA SLI3 I would probably take that.
 
Considering I built my 920 rig last oct that answer is no. The next possible upgrade would be socket 2011 and I will probably skip that aswell. I tend to keep my machines for 3 year or so then do a full upgrade. There usually has to be a 50% improvement in performance for me to considering it.

Now that i'm getting abit older upgrading for 10% improvement is a waste of money.

So that means whatever refresh is out for SB socket 2011 or bulldozer refresh might be inline with my next upgrade cycle.

I think most people on 1366 should alteast wait until socket 2011 SB if you really have to have it.

1366-1155 seems more of a side grade to me.


I did socket 939 - 1366 and very happy I skipped Phenom 1 & 2. Aswell as conroe and all her refreshes!
 
I will buy up all the great chips cheaply from those making the jump lol.
 
Last edited:
I have an i7 950 right now and LGA 1155 isn't really looking like a significant upgrade. Sure, it's pretty fast and AVX will be nice as more software using it is available, but S2011 6+ months out is the real upgrade from LGA 1366.

Unless I find a really great deal on SB, I'll probably wait for Ivy Bridge.
 
my builds going to bump up against the 3 year mark by summer. If my encoding load gets higher I'll probably upgrade. Not seeing much point otherwise.
 
Back
Top